Kote for Heavy weapons?

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hail and well met

      Any sugestions or comments on which style of kote work best for heavy
      weapons or any modifications that should be made for safety sake?I
      reside in the Kingdom of Atlantia and as you have probably guessed I
      am working on my first set of Armor.Any personal ideas on what has
      worked best greatly appreciated.
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
        I'm assuming you mean kote as in the sleeve-armor as opposed to the modern
        kendo kote which covers the hand and wrist (and is not SCA legal).

        Kote, I find, does not really provide any required protection. You can
        build an elbow cop into it, or get a wingless cop to fit underneath. I
        have maille on mine, but I would not recommend it unless you are prepared
        to repair it often (I really ought to make myself a fabric only set for
        general practice and use).

        Mine are three layers of fabric and maille--outer layers are cotton print
        and inside is a linen. This goes over my hitatare, which bunches up
        underneath, providing extra protection. I've yet to be disappointed with
        them.

        I wear wingless elbow cops over bike pads underneath, mitten gauntlets on
        my hands, and the shoulders are protected with small sode (in Europe they
        would be called pauldrons).

        I've not fought as much against some of the heavier hitters in Atlantia,
        however, and would say that more padding could not be a bad idea.

        -Ii, who also lives in Atlantia

        On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, David wrote:

        > Hail and well met
        >
        > Any sugestions or comments on which style of kote work best for heavy
        > weapons or any modifications that should be made for safety sake?I
        > reside in the Kingdom of Atlantia and as you have probably guessed I
        > am working on my first set of Armor.Any personal ideas on what has
        > worked best greatly appreciated.

      • Don Luby
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
          On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, David wrote:

          > Hail and well met
          >
          > Any sugestions or comments on which style of kote work best for
          > heavy weapons or any modifications that should be made for safety
          > sake? I reside in the Kingdom of Atlantia and as you have probably
          > guessed I am working on my first set of Armor. Any personal ideas on
          > what has worked best greatly appreciated.

          Well, for starters, check out the Clan Yama Kaminari armor
          construction pages (www.nb.net/~kmeg/kaminari/, and follow the armor
          links) - there are also plans for list-legal everything-else that
          you'd need to make a full Japanese harness. I don't think that
          Atlantia has any additional armor requirements that wouldn't be
          covered by the appropriate pieces listed there.
          Mind you, those are not the style of kote that I wear, but my
          gambeson (completely lacking the correct Japanese term - Effingham?
          Date?) is of a completely different, but nonetheless authentic style,
          which for all intents and purposes looks like a regular short-sleeved
          martial arts gi, with separate lower sleeves which have an elbow cop
          and forearm plates, which attach by a toggle / button / loop in the
          bicep region.

          Sir Koredono

          Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
          djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
        • shneider@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
            I made some out of leather plates around the forearms and shoulder area. I took the plates and (since I have no laquer) clear coated them with poly enamel. I also put a few layers of that puffy fabric used in wedding dresses or quilts in between the layers of fabric ont he outsides to help cushion some of the blows in vital areas. Mine do not have a toggle to attach to the do but are the ones that tie under the armpits as they sit on your shoulders. I'll try to take a pic of them soon and post them if you'd like. Everyone seems to love them :D
            Yoshida Takezo Hidesada