Re: [SCA-JML] New file uploaded to sca-jml

    Message 1 of 85 , Oct 31, 2002
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Barbara Nostrand wrote:
      >
      > > Noble Cousin!
      > >
      > > Greetings from Solveig! Most tea houses of which I am aware
      > > use Sino-Japanese names such as Konnichian. The ending of
      > > the name is partly dictated by the size of the tea house.
      > > The largest -an is 4.5 mats and the smallest -tei is 4.5 mats.
      >
      > Um.. Please forgive my humble intrusion, but is not a 4.5 mat room equal
      > in size to a 4.5 mat room? Or is this a zen big/small comparison?

      I would say "welcome to the funky world of Japanese stuff" but you've been
      there. <G>

      What this means is that -an typically went *up* to 4.5 and -tei *started* at
      4.5. When it *is* 4.5, you can find either term applied. <shrug>

      I tend to think that such specific definitions of space would be very late
      period (given the history of the development of the private Tea space), if
      not post-Period itself. Lots of places were called -tei or -an regardless of
      purpose and regardless of size, anyway, historically speaking.

      This *does* seem to be likely a safe observation, however, with the high-Edo
      culture Tea facilities.

      Message 85 of 85 , May 30, 2012
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! The Pennsic University lost track of the following class and it is not being listed in the Pennsic Site Book, but will appear in the online listings and the Pennsic Independent. The question is whether or not to move the class out of the private camp and into one of the Pennsic University tents which the Pennsic class coordinator just offered to do. One problem is that this is a performance class and could possibly make for a bad neighbor to adjoining tents. In any case, not being in the Pennsic book is a big bummer in terms of attendance. I am concerned that nobody will show up as the class will not be in the Pennsic book. What do you think?