A bit on foxes

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2002
      In re. recent discussions on foxes, I thought this was rather timely.

      Last week we had a homework assignment to translate an ancient Chinese story about a
      fox. I append it here for your amusement.

      The tiger sought the hundred beasts and ate them. One day, he got a fox.
      The fox said, "Sir, you ought not eat me. The Emperor of Heaven sent me to be chief of
      the beasts. Now, if you were to eat me, it would go against the Mandate of Heaven. If
      you take me as untrustworthy, I shall go in front of you and you follow after me.
      Watch when the hundred beasts see me -- shall they not flee?"
      He thought it well, and when he followed and went after [the fox], when the beasts saw
      them they all ran away.
      The tiger didn't know the beasts were afraid of *him* and so fled; he thought they
      feared the fox.