Re: [SCA-JML] Hello List :)

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 28, 2002
      "Anthony J. Bryant" wrote:

      > Everyone calls the priest "Gozen-sama" -- not just
      > Tora-san. It's a bit old fashioned, but it's down-home old neighborhood Edo
      > style. I merely used that one as it's a source that more people would likely
      > be familiar with -- being a hugely famous film series -- rather than some
      > dictionaries people would probably not have.

      <snip>

      > Well, as for gozen-sama, Daijirin says: "more respectful than 'gozen.' Word
      > used by those in service to, or adherents of, people of high rank or high
      > office and ranking clergy to show respect." Nothing there to indicate that
      > it's specifically kogo. And given its usage (albeit not supremely common)
      > today, it's still used the same way *there* after about a millennium.

      I just wanted to provide a couple of examples:

      " In 1992, I became a kozo (junior priest) in the Tendai sect with the name
      Esho. My teacher is the legendary kaihogyo practioner Enami Kakusho, better
      known as Gozen-sama. "
      http://quietmountain.com/dharmacenters/buddhadendo/today.js

      "The day Gozensama had it in Seattle with two prostitutes was March 20. ... It
      is no wonder that Shinwa is the "Number One" disciple of Gozensama!"
      members.aol.com/masataisei/shoshu/mentdis.htm

      "M. Ooka commence sa journée par une prière devant une peinture sur soie
      représentant celui qu'il nomme Gozensama..."
      http://www.lemonde.fr/imprimer_article_ref/0,9750,3230--294075,00.html