Re: [SCA-JML] Re: waraji

  • Anthony Thompson
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 9, 2002
      i could try converting the file into a pdf, and send it to you. Unless
      someone else actually has the pdf of it.

      Anthony
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 9, 2002
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > .DOC is the MS Word extension. If you have MS Word it should be able to
        > open it. (Made with MS Word 2000--I can try to save it under an older
        > version if you would like)
        >
        > -Ii

        Ii-sama, he said he's using a Mac.

        must preside at our assemblies.
        William O. Douglas

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 9, 2002
          OK, I know them just as straw sandals. My Japanese is
          about "0". Is this the type that come out between
          your toes and to the back toward your ankle or the
          kind that tie up around your leg? There is a site that
          shows them or maybe sells them. It shouldn't be to
          hard to make something that looks like them. I had
          though about using the sole of a "today sandal" but
          need to look at a closeup of the rope stuff they use
          to tie it around the leg and them decide how to make
          that part. Or am I thinking about something different
          than you are. I looked at one of Anthony Bryants
          sites just now and what he called Waraji looked like
          the first type I talked about. I get a Japanese Tea
          Ceremony magazine each month called Nagomi and the
          last issue (August) was all about sandals. New ones
          and some older type. It has some good pictures of the
          straw type. I have a few pictures of sandals but they
          are small. I can put them in the photos section.

          And I would like a pdf copy of the Waraji.Doc if
          anyone has it. You can just email it to me if it
          isn't to much trouble. Thanks. Bill
          bfornshell@...

          --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
          > Oh. 'Waraji'='straw sandal'.
          >
          > -Ii

          =====
          Bill Fornshell
          Founder and President
          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
          School of One
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

          http://faith.yahoo.com
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
            On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Ron Martino wrote:

            > Ii Saburou wrote:
            > >
            > > .DOC is the MS Word extension. If you have MS Word it should be able to
            > > open it. (Made with MS Word 2000--I can try to save it under an older
            > > version if you would like)
            > >
            > > -Ii
            >
            > Ii-sama, he said he's using a Mac.

            Shouldn't be a problem--MS Word is pretty portable these days and MOST of
            the word processor programs I've dealt with have been at least able to
            read that format.

            -Ii
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
              On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Bill Fornshell wrote:

              > OK, I know them just as straw sandals. My Japanese is
              > about "0". Is this the type that come out between
              > your toes and to the back toward your ankle or the
              > kind that tie up around your leg? There is a site that
              > shows them or maybe sells them. It shouldn't be to
              > hard to make something that looks like them. I had
              > though about using the sole of a "today sandal" but
              > need to look at a closeup of the rope stuff they use
              > to tie it around the leg and them decide how to make
              > that part. Or am I thinking about something different

              I learned how to make the 'flip-flop' variety--just a single loop like
              zori or geta--and then adapted the pattern for the more secure variety
              that go around the ankle (for which there are different methods of tying,
              I've found). I've been meaning to try a pair that come out the back as
              the blown out ones Kuji-dono gave me do.

              The rope stuff is straw rope. Rice straw, to be specific, and you are
              looking at the leafy part rather than the stalk, in my experience. Raffia
              can work as a substitute, but real rice is nice. Depending on what coast
              you are on there appears to be places that sell the rice straw--if you
              cultivate rice you end up with a lot of it and they are actually having
              problems getting rid of the stuff since it is hardly used by anyone.

              Alternatively you can use other types of rope--I've had good experience
              with cotton cord and even nylon--to make the sandals as well.

              > than you are. I looked at one of Anthony Bryants
              > sites just now and what he called Waraji looked like
              > the first type I talked about. I get a Japanese Tea
              > Ceremony magazine each month called Nagomi and the
              > last issue (August) was all about sandals. New ones
              > and some older type. It has some good pictures of the
              > straw type. I have a few pictures of sandals but they
              > are small. I can put them in the photos section.
              >
              > And I would like a pdf copy of the Waraji.Doc if
              > anyone has it. You can just email it to me if it
              > isn't to much trouble. Thanks. Bill
              > bfornshell@...

              I do not have a pdf copy, unfortunately. I can get it to you in many
              formats, but not that.

              -Ii
            • Ron Martino
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                > Shouldn't be a problem--MS Word is pretty portable these days and MOST of
                > the word processor programs I've dealt with have been at least able to
                > read that format.
                >
                > -Ii

                True, up-to-date Macs /should/ be able to handle MS Word documents
                (emphasis on 'should'), but a dyed-in-the-silk Mac user isn't going to
                use a Microsoft product if there's any way to avoid it. Computer bigotry
                runs deep...

                Yumitori

                must preside at our assemblies.
                William O. Douglas

                yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
              • michael A
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                  here is a link of a sight in japanese witha good pic
                  of them being made. i thought it might go well
                  alongside the diagram you had for the cord going
                  around the toes
                  www.soratoumi.com/river/ ryuiki/fugo.htm

                  =====
                  kiyohara matsugu yoshiaki
                  shire of vanished wood
                  midlands
                  midrealm

                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                • michael A
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                    see even children can make them

                    http://www.miyazaki-c.ed.jp/gokase-h/topic/waraji/

                    =====
                    kiyohara matsugu yoshiaki
                    shire of vanished wood
                    midlands
                    midrealm

                    http://faith.yahoo.com
                  • Grim Shieldsson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                      --- Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                      > Hi, What type of document is WARAJI.DOC ? I have a Mac G4

                      Given the extensions it's a Word Turdlet.

                      > and can't open your file. I downloaded Acrobat Reader thinking
                      > that would help, but it didn't. Thanks
                      >
                      > .--- In sca-jml@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
                      > > My own notes are up in the files section under WARAJI.DOC. I
                      > haven't
                      > > found too much about it online, unfortunately; I would love to
                      > see what
                      > > you find.
                      > >
                      > > -Ii
                      > >
                      > > On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, michael A wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > im putting together a last minute class for a demo
                      > > > this saturday. i make the style waraji kuji has
                      > > > taught, but id like to have on hand as much
                      > > > information and variations of construction as posible.
                      > > > i was wondering if the list could direct me to and
                      > > > sites, books, or other inforamation on different ways
                      > > > to make waraji.
                      > > > thanks
                      > > >

                      > > > =====
                      > > > kiyohara matsugu yoshiaki
                      > > > shire of vanished wood
                      > > > midlands
                      > > > midrealm

                      =====
                      Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                      Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                      Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                      "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                      --Plutarch

                      http://faith.yahoo.com
                    • Grim Shieldsson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                        --- Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                        > I have a Mac and have something called Apple Works, WP
                        > etc that should let me open a Microsoft .DOC file. It
                        > doesn't. I just called my tech support and they can't

                        THen it's probably the latest MS Word format, which of course isn't
                        supported by your software.

                        I hate it when people put things up in proprietary formats thinking
                        everyone uses the same thing. We don't. I know the MS Word has a save
                        as HTML feature... it's for the web would be helpful.

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                          --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
                          > .DOC is the MS Word extension. If you have MS Word it should be able
                          > open it. (Made with MS Word 2000--I can try to save it under an older
                          >
                          > version if you would like)

                          How about as HTML? putting it on the web after all.....

                          Granted MS Word to HTML generates sucky html.... but hey... it's better
                          then Word format!!!!

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                            --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
                            > On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Ron Martino wrote:
                            >
                            > > Ii Saburou wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > .DOC is the MS Word extension. If you have MS Word it should be
                            > able to
                            > > > open it. (Made with MS Word 2000--I can try to save it under an
                            > older
                            > > > version if you would like)
                            > > >
                            > > > -Ii
                            > >
                            > > Ii-sama, he said he's using a Mac.
                            >
                            > Shouldn't be a problem--MS Word is pretty portable these days and
                            > MOST of
                            > the word processor programs I've dealt with have been at least able
                            > read that format.

                            MOST is not all. HTML. It's the web. HTML. HTML is good.

                            Yes this is a hot button. I hate when people put stuff up on the web
                            and think "Well, MOST people can read it"

                            The standard is NOT MicroSoft.

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                              On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Ron Martino wrote:

                              > > Shouldn't be a problem--MS Word is pretty portable these days and MOST of
                              > > the word processor programs I've dealt with have been at least able to
                              > > read that format.
                              > >
                              > > -Ii
                              >
                              > True, up-to-date Macs /should/ be able to handle MS Word documents
                              > (emphasis on 'should'), but a dyed-in-the-silk Mac user isn't going to
                              > use a Microsoft product if there's any way to avoid it. Computer bigotry
                              > runs deep...

                              Fine, then get Linux and get something that can handle MS Word docs
                              without being Word ;)

                              I do realize there are still compatibility issues out there. Thanks to
                              Erin-dono for posting a pdf version.

                              -Ii
                            • Jamie Norwood
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 03:23:28PM -0700, Grim Shieldsson wrote:
                                > MOST is not all. HTML. It's the web. HTML. HTML is good.
                                >
                                > Yes this is a hot button. I hate when people put stuff up on the web
                                > and think "Well, MOST people can read it"
                                >
                                > The standard is NOT MicroSoft.

                                Gomen, my friends, but I must reply to this. It may be a hot button for you,
                                and I know it is one for me, so I hesitate to post, but I feel I must.

                                I will preface this by saying I have no great love for Microsoft. I feel
                                most of their products are shoddy, ill-tested, and marketed with such
                                underhanded practices as to be abhorrent. That said...

                                I believe you do a great disservice to the people who work hard to give
                                us these materials. They deserve better than to pour their effort into
                                helping us all in this, to be told basically 'Well, it's good, but since
                                you used Word, it's worthless'.

                                EVERY operating system has free applications that will read and write even
                                the most current of Microsoft documents. Is it .the. standard? No! But it
                                is certainly .a. standard, and one the fvast majority of the world chooses
                                to use.

                                The HTML Word produces is also, IMHO, .not. better than posting a .doc. It
                                is shoddy, non-compliant, bloated code that will be MUCH larger than the
                                actual doc file.

                                Someone has been nice enough to post a .pdf, and I bow my head to them in
                                respect. However, to ever imply that what someone did isn't good enough
                                because you don't like the format and can't be bothered to find a way to
                                read it is the height of arrogance and ingratitude.

                                You don't like MS. That's nice. Neither do I. Yet be it on Windows, Linux,
                                FreeBSD, or even a Mac, I have never, ever had a problem getting a free,
                                non-MS application that would read it. Yes, it may take some effort, but
                                the people who bring us these helpful files deserve for us to be willing
                                to do the work to read them. If you don't like it, that's fine, but at
                                least have the respect to be quiet about it.

                                Just MHO,

                                Yamada no Mitsuyoshi

                                Jamie

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                  Hi, Since I started all this DOC file type???
                                  discussion, let me say that I have HAD several PC's
                                  over the years and they do make up about 90 plus
                                  percent of the market. I want to thank all who have
                                  taken some time to reply to this subject. I love the
                                  Mac and have had one since 1990. They are great,
                                  except for some internet related things. That problem
                                  is being fixed slowly. Off the internet I don't think
                                  you can beat them. For many years I used Word Perfect
                                  both on the PC and then on the Mac. It would convert
                                  most anything in the WP world PC to Mac to PC so I
                                  could use it. Several years ago it seemed to go away.
                                  When I got a new G4 a year ago I also bought Apple
                                  Works, this was said to convert MS Word Doc's to Mac.
                                  It has never done it for me. I became interested in
                                  SCA about 2 months ago. I found that most of the tons
                                  of DOC files out there were MS Word files. I
                                  downloaded Acrobat Reader and thought that would work.
                                  Seems there is something called a PDF file and the
                                  Acrobat works find on that type. In looking at all the
                                  material that has been put on SCA related sites it is
                                  very clear that a lot of people have spent lots of
                                  time making information available to all us new folks.
                                  I want to thank all of you for that. One of the
                                  thoughts I live by is "don't bit the hand that feeds
                                  you".

                                  When the word Waraji was used I looked to see what it
                                  meant. I knew what the straw sandals were but didn't
                                  know the Japanese word for them. I wanted to try and
                                  make some. I have been able to open the file in PDF
                                  format, have looked at the web site's that have been
                                  posted and have copied all the pictures from those
                                  sites. If the Japanese kids can do it, I sure must be
                                  able to make my own. I will make my first pair
                                  following this groups file Doc "how to" and see how I
                                  do. I may have to make several to get it right.
                                  Thanks . Bill

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 11, 2002
                                    YAY!! A rational human being.

                                    Kagesue