[SCA-JML] Kyujutsu, SCA rules, books

  • Takewara no Ken'ichiro Yoshinobu
    Message 1 of 74 , Feb 29, 2000
      Okay, here goes nothing...
      I have plans on getting a fiberglass laminate yumi sometime soon.
      However, there seem to be a distinct lack of instructors for kyudo
      (much less kyujutsu, since that seems to have died out...), so I will
      need to read books for instruction on proper form.
      Question numero uno- Is there anyone in this group that plans on
      going to Pennsic that can help me out with my form? I am sure to make
      lots and lots of mistakes as I try to learn, and it would be nice to
      have someone that is reasonably proficient be there to correct me.
      Yumi (the bowyer) doesn't count- he seems a little to bent on
      tradition, and I just want to be able to draw and fire properly,
      without any of the meditative BS that started in the Edo period.
      Number two- Ya (arrows) seem to be kind of on the pricey side. I
      have looked into making my own, but it seems awfully hard to find cedar
      shafts in the proper length. Does anyone know where to get them?
      Failing that, I know that I can get cut-to-length aluminum shafts. Can
      anyone tell me a)will that be SCA legal since I can't afford *real* ya,
      and b)what sort of spine will I need to get optimal performance with a
      30-35lb. draw yumi?
      Last, I have three books on order with B&N on kyudo, because
      that's all they had listed. Can anyone suggest a text that has lots of
      pictures covering draw and release?

      Oh, and congratulations, Fujiwara-hime! We will all look forward
      to your reciept of a Laurel, if you haven't already gotten one... (Are
      you a laurel...?)

      -Yoshinobu
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 74 of 74 , Mar 17 6:56 PM
        On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > Actually, I was a bad boy and skipped out without finding the exact
        > > address. It was next to Nijo Castle, and it was just a small hole in
        > > the wall, from the looks of it. I wish, looking back, that I had paid
        > > more attention, but my main thought was that I didn't have enough money,
        > > and then some other people walked in; and the people were pretty busy.
        > >

        > Hmmm... Okay, as you stand in front of the entrance to Nijo, is it to the left or
        > right? Same street, or down a side street?

        From the castle I headed south (right from the castle entrance, and it was
        at the northeast corner of the next block down, if I am remembering
        correctly. (In other words, head south, cross the street, and you're
        there.)

        It caught my eye because of the tsuba and various other furniture in the
        window. I thought it might have something I could afford. On entering,
        however...

        Well, the entire 'shop' seems to be just a selling point. It is one room,
        enough space for maybe 5 people, comfortably. Blades are mounted on the
        walls. I'm pretty sure they do more than shinken, and I sure hope it was
        real shinken with the price tags I saw.

        They also had one ancient looking tsuba for about \11,000 or more, that I
        saw. I wish I could help more. Now I really feel bad for not being more
        attentive.

        > True. I'd like to go in and look at the place in person, though... <g>

        Nod.

        And thanks for the rest of the info.

        -Godric Logan