Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
      Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
      have been looking over some of your web sites since I
      posted my last message. I have looked at them many
      times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
      thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
      agree with everything he says. I also would add that
      for me, A person who understands little to no
      Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
      sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
      time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
      no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
      "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
      pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
      Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
      right.

      I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
      Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
      movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
      on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
      movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
      The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
      again.

      I will find both of the movies you reference in your
      message and watch them. I have a background in
      textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
      I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
      traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
      clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
      movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
      excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
      great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
      Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
      looking for the other two movie soon.
      Thanks. Bill

      http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

      > If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of
      > the era, get a hold of
      > "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is
      > available from Amazon and
      > *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see.
      > And see. And see. Ditto
      > "Kagemusha."
      >
      > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese
      > clothing
      > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much
      > of
      > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a
      > SCA
      > > event??
      >
      > I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out
      > "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
      >

      > Effingham

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      School of One
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
        Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
        Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

        --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

        =====
        Bill Fornshell
        Founder and President
        Cold Mountain Chanoyu
        (Tea School for the New Millennium)
        School of One
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

        http://faith.yahoo.com
      • Brian Dean
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
          *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
          "Kagemusha."
          Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
          i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
          far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
          differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
          wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
          patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
          i want one..

          >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
          >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
          >
          >Bill Fornshell wrote:
          >
          > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
          > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
          >
          >My take follows.
          >
          >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
          >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
          >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
          >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
          >
          >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
          >
          >Here's my favorite review of it:
          >
          >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
          >
          >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
          >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
          >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
          >"Kagemusha."
          >
          > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
          > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
          > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
          > > event??
          >
          >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
          >

          >Effingham

          Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
          Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
          Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
          Slayer of demons and their ilk
          GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
          "He Who Cares"
          Samurai

          Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

          "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

          "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
          get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
            I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
            watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
            the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
            like the black color that the good guy wears in it
            better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
            before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
            the video both new and used for sale. New it is
            $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
            that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
            or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
            toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
            pictures.

            I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
            pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
            a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
            had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
            can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
            might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
            problem. Thanks. Bill.