Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
      Bill Fornshell wrote:

      > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
      > local BlockBuster Video this morning.

      My take follows.

      Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
      have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
      about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
      sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.

      Plus, it's just not that good a film.

      Here's my favorite review of it:

      http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

      If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
      "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
      *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
      "Kagemusha."

      > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
      > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
      > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
      > event??

      I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.

      Effingham
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
        Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
        have been looking over some of your web sites since I
        posted my last message. I have looked at them many
        times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
        thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
        agree with everything he says. I also would add that
        for me, A person who understands little to no
        Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
        sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
        time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
        no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
        "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
        pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
        Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
        right.

        I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
        Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
        movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
        on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
        movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
        The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
        again.

        I will find both of the movies you reference in your
        message and watch them. I have a background in
        textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
        I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
        traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
        clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
        movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
        excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
        great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
        Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
        looking for the other two movie soon.
        Thanks. Bill

        > Bill Fornshell wrote:
        >
        > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth
        > from a
        > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
        >
        > My take follows.
        >
        > Nothing personal to those who like the film --
        > tastes vary. But I'd rather
        > have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel
        > like it the way I do
        > about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed
        > by a lack of historical
        > sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
        >
        > Plus, it's just not that good a film.
        >
        > Here's my favorite review of it:

        http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

        > If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of
        > the era, get a hold of
        > "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is
        > available from Amazon and
        > *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see.
        > And see. And see. Ditto
        > "Kagemusha."
        >
        > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese
        > clothing
        > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much
        > of
        > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a
        > SCA
        > > event??
        >
        > I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out
        > "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
        >

        > Effingham

        =====
        Bill Fornshell
        Founder and President
        Cold Mountain Chanoyu
        (Tea School for the New Millennium)
        School of One
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

        http://faith.yahoo.com
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
          Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
          Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

          --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

          =====
          Bill Fornshell
          Founder and President
          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
          School of One
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

          http://faith.yahoo.com
        • Brian Dean
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
            *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
            "Kagemusha."
            Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
            i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
            far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
            differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
            wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
            patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
            i want one..

            >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
            >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
            >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
            >
            >Bill Fornshell wrote:
            >
            > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
            > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
            >
            >My take follows.
            >
            >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
            >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
            >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
            >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
            >
            >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
            >
            >Here's my favorite review of it:
            >
            >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
            >
            >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
            >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
            >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
            >"Kagemusha."
            >
            > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
            > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
            > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
            > > event??
            >
            >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
            >

            >Effingham

            Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
            Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
            Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
            Slayer of demons and their ilk
            GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
            "He Who Cares"
            Samurai

            Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

            "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

            "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
            get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
              I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
              watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
              the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
              like the black color that the good guy wears in it
              better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
              before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
              the video both new and used for sale. New it is
              $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
              that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
              or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
              toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
              pictures.

              I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
              pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
              a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
              had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
              can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
              might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
              problem. Thanks. Bill.