Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
      Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
      local BlockBuster Video this morning. I have just
      finished watching it and it was excellent. I have it
      for a week and expect to watch it several more times
      before I return it. I know I missed some of the many
      details trying to read the subtitles. I am deep into
      Chanoyu or as we call it Japanese Tea ceremony and the
      movie even had a little of that in the beginning.
      -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
      and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
      what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
      event?? It all looked great to me, but I have no
      knowledge of the "real vs for movie" stuff. I really
      liked what the good guy worn most of the time and
      really like the black and white uniforms. I want to
      re-look at the part where he went off in the snow
      alone. I think something like he was wearing during
      that part of the movie will be my first attempt at
      making an outfit for myself. Bill

      --- David <irish_65@...> wrote:
      > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
      > might have caught
      > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
      > Warlords in medieval
      > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
      > as well. I thought
      > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
      > dissmay when i arrived
      > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
      > jones in it about
      > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
      > 90's as the quality
      > was very good . any help would be greatly
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Domo
      >
      > Kage taka
      > aka
      > Dave Jones

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      School of One
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      http://faith.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
        Bill Fornshell wrote:

        > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
        > local BlockBuster Video this morning.

        My take follows.

        Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
        have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
        about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
        sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.

        Plus, it's just not that good a film.

        Here's my favorite review of it:

        http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

        If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
        "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
        *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
        "Kagemusha."

        > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
        > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
        > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
        > event??

        I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.

        Effingham
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
          Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
          have been looking over some of your web sites since I
          posted my last message. I have looked at them many
          times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
          thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
          agree with everything he says. I also would add that
          for me, A person who understands little to no
          Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
          sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
          time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
          no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
          "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
          pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
          Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
          right.

          I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
          Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
          movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
          on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
          movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
          The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
          again.

          I will find both of the movies you reference in your
          message and watch them. I have a background in
          textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
          I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
          traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
          clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
          movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
          excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
          great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
          Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
          looking for the other two movie soon.
          Thanks. Bill

          =====

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
            Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
            Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

            --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

            =====
            Bill Fornshell
            Founder and President
            Cold Mountain Chanoyu
            (Tea School for the New Millennium)
            School of One
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

            http://faith.yahoo.com
          • Brian Dean
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
              *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
              "Kagemusha."
              Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
              i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
              far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
              differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
              wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
              patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
              i want one..

              >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
              >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
              >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
              >
              >Bill Fornshell wrote:
              >
              > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
              > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
              >
              >My take follows.
              >
              >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
              >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
              >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
              >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
              >
              >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
              >
              >Here's my favorite review of it:
              >
              >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
              >
              >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
              >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
              >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
              >"Kagemusha."
              >
              > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
              > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
              > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
              > > event??
              >
              >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
              >

              >Effingham

              Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
              Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
              Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
              Slayer of demons and their ilk
              GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
              "He Who Cares"
              Samurai

              Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

              "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

              "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
              get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
                watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
                the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
                like the black color that the good guy wears in it
                better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
                before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
                the video both new and used for sale. New it is
                $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
                that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
                or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
                toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
                pictures.

                I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
                pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
                a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
                had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
                can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
                might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
                problem. Thanks. Bill.