RE: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

  • Mokurai
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
      My $.02 on this film can be found here...
      http://www.geocities.com/mokuraibozu/Films.html

      I won't bore anyone by reprinting it.

      - mokurai

    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
        Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
        local BlockBuster Video this morning. I have just
        finished watching it and it was excellent. I have it
        for a week and expect to watch it several more times
        before I return it. I know I missed some of the many
        details trying to read the subtitles. I am deep into
        Chanoyu or as we call it Japanese Tea ceremony and the
        movie even had a little of that in the beginning.
        -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
        and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
        what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
        event?? It all looked great to me, but I have no
        knowledge of the "real vs for movie" stuff. I really
        liked what the good guy worn most of the time and
        really like the black and white uniforms. I want to
        re-look at the part where he went off in the snow
        alone. I think something like he was wearing during
        that part of the movie will be my first attempt at
        making an outfit for myself. Bill

        =====

        http://faith.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
          Bill Fornshell wrote:

          > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
          > local BlockBuster Video this morning.

          My take follows.

          Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
          have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
          about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
          sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.

          Plus, it's just not that good a film.

          Here's my favorite review of it:

          http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

          If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
          "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
          *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
          "Kagemusha."

          > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
          > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
          > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
          > event??

          I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.

          Effingham
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
            Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
            have been looking over some of your web sites since I
            posted my last message. I have looked at them many
            times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
            thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
            agree with everything he says. I also would add that
            for me, A person who understands little to no
            Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
            sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
            time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
            no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
            "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
            pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
            Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
            right.

            I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
            Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
            movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
            on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
            movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
            The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
            again.

            I will find both of the movies you reference in your
            message and watch them. I have a background in
            textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
            I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
            traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
            clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
            movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
            excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
            great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
            Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
            looking for the other two movie soon.
            Thanks. Bill

            =====

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
              Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
              Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

              --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

              =====
              Bill Fornshell
              Founder and President
              Cold Mountain Chanoyu
              (Tea School for the New Millennium)
              School of One
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

              http://faith.yahoo.com
            • Brian Dean
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                "Kagemusha."
                Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
                i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
                far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
                differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
                wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
                patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
                i want one..

                >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
                >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
                >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
                >
                >Bill Fornshell wrote:
                >
                > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
                >
                >My take follows.
                >
                >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
                >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
                >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
                >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
                >
                >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
                >
                >Here's my favorite review of it:
                >
                >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
                >
                >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
                >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
                >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                >"Kagemusha."
                >
                > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                > > event??
                >
                >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
                >

                >Effingham

                Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
                Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
                Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
                Slayer of demons and their ilk
                GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
                "He Who Cares"
                Samurai

                Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

                "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

                "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
                get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                  I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
                  watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
                  the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
                  like the black color that the good guy wears in it
                  better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
                  before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
                  the video both new and used for sale. New it is
                  $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
                  that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
                  or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
                  toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
                  pictures.

                  I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
                  pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
                  a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
                  had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
                  can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
                  might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
                  problem. Thanks. Bill.