Re: Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
      I created a photo album for Japanese movies and put a picture
      of the box for Heaven and Earth in the album.

      Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
      > site and type the title in the search block. Do a
      > "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
      > I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
      > You will be able to to the same. If the stores
      > closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
      > of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
      > period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
      > the store opens. Bill
      >

      > --- David <irish_65@y...> wrote:
      > > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
      > > might have caught
      > > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
      > > Warlords in medieval
      > > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
      > > as well. I thought
      > > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
      > > dissmay when i arrived
      > > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
      > > jones in it about
      > > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
      > > 90's as the quality
      > > was very good . any help would be greatly
      > > appreciated.
      > >
      > > Domo
      > >
      > > Kage taka
      > > aka
      > > Dave Jones
      > >

      > =====
      > Bill Fornshell
      > Founder and President
      > Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      > (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      > School of One
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

    • Jason Silver
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
        Hi All

        I have found in the past that if you call around and ask them, do you
        have the movie Heaven and Earth ( and NOT the version with Tommy Lee
        Jones) that works the best!!

        Here's a little interesting tid bit about that movie

        Filmed outside of Calgary Alberta Canada. Some of the extra's where
        people from the SCA. At the end of filming, most of the props where
        given away to the extra's and then they where sold off.. There are a
        few people in Calgary that have Yumi bows that if you where to pull
        the string more then a inch or 2 it would snap in 1/2!

        It is one of my all time fave movies, mainly because I am only 3 hrs
        away from the filming location, but it was done well to me.. ( but
        what the heck do I know, I am just a loyal samurai.. LOL )

        Imakawa no Shiro Yoshitaka

        In sca-jml@y..., Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
        > site and type the title in the search block. Do a
        > "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
        > I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
        > You will be able to to the same. If the stores
        > closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
        > of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
        > period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
        > the store opens. Bill
        >

        > --- David <irish_65@y...> wrote:
        > > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
        > > might have caught
        > > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
        > > Warlords in medieval
        > > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
        > > as well. I thought
        > > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
        > > dissmay when i arrived
        > > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
        > > jones in it about
        > > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
        > > 90's as the quality
        > > was very good . any help would be greatly
        > > appreciated.
        > >
        > > Domo
        > >
        > > Kage taka
        > > aka
        > > Dave Jones
        > >

        > =====
        > Bill Fornshell
        > Founder and President
        > Cold Mountain Chanoyu
        > (Tea School for the New Millennium)
        > School of One
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      • Mokurai
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
          My $.02 on this film can be found here...
          http://www.geocities.com/mokuraibozu/Films.html

          I won't bore anyone by reprinting it.

          - mokurai

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
            Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
            local BlockBuster Video this morning. I have just
            finished watching it and it was excellent. I have it
            for a week and expect to watch it several more times
            before I return it. I know I missed some of the many
            details trying to read the subtitles. I am deep into
            Chanoyu or as we call it Japanese Tea ceremony and the
            movie even had a little of that in the beginning.
            -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
            and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
            what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
            event?? It all looked great to me, but I have no
            knowledge of the "real vs for movie" stuff. I really
            liked what the good guy worn most of the time and
            really like the black and white uniforms. I want to
            re-look at the part where he went off in the snow
            alone. I think something like he was wearing during
            that part of the movie will be my first attempt at
            making an outfit for myself. Bill

            =====

            http://faith.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
              Bill Fornshell wrote:

              > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
              > local BlockBuster Video this morning.

              My take follows.

              Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
              have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
              about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
              sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.

              Plus, it's just not that good a film.

              Here's my favorite review of it:

              http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

              If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
              "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
              *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
              "Kagemusha."

              > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
              > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
              > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
              > event??

              I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.

              Effingham
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
                have been looking over some of your web sites since I
                posted my last message. I have looked at them many
                times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
                thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
                agree with everything he says. I also would add that
                for me, A person who understands little to no
                Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
                sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
                time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
                no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
                "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
                pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
                Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
                right.

                I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
                Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
                movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
                on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
                movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
                The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
                again.

                I will find both of the movies you reference in your
                message and watch them. I have a background in
                textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
                I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
                traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
                clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
                movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
                excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
                great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
                Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
                looking for the other two movie soon.
                Thanks. Bill

                =====

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                  Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
                  Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

                  --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

                  =====
                  Bill Fornshell
                  Founder and President
                  Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                  (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                  School of One
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                • Brian Dean
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                    *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                    "Kagemusha."
                    Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
                    i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
                    far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
                    differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
                    wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
                    patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
                    i want one..

                    >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
                    >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
                    >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
                    >
                    >Bill Fornshell wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                    > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
                    >
                    >My take follows.
                    >
                    >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
                    >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
                    >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
                    >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
                    >
                    >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
                    >
                    >Here's my favorite review of it:
                    >
                    >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
                    >
                    >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
                    >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
                    >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                    >"Kagemusha."
                    >
                    > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                    > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                    > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                    > > event??
                    >
                    >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
                    >

                    >Effingham

                    Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
                    Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
                    Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
                    Slayer of demons and their ilk
                    GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
                    "He Who Cares"
                    Samurai

                    Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

                    "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

                    "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
                    get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                      I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
                      watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
                      the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
                      like the black color that the good guy wears in it
                      better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
                      before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
                      the video both new and used for sale. New it is
                      $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
                      that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
                      or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
                      toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
                      pictures.

                      I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
                      pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
                      a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
                      had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
                      can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
                      might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
                      problem. Thanks. Bill.