Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
      Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
      site and type the title in the search block. Do a
      "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
      I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
      You will be able to to the same. If the stores
      closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
      of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
      period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
      the store opens. Bill

      --- David <irish_65@...> wrote:
      > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
      > might have caught
      > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
      > Warlords in medieval
      > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
      > as well. I thought
      > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
      > dissmay when i arrived
      > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
      > jones in it about
      > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
      > 90's as the quality
      > was very good . any help would be greatly
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Domo
      >
      > Kage taka
      > aka
      > Dave Jones

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      School of One
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
        I created a photo album for Japanese movies and put a picture
        of the box for Heaven and Earth in the album.

        Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
        > site and type the title in the search block. Do a
        > "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
        > I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
        > You will be able to to the same. If the stores
        > closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
        > of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
        > period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
        > the store opens. Bill
        >

        > --- David <irish_65@y...> wrote:
        > > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
        > > might have caught
        > > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
        > > Warlords in medieval
        > > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
        > > as well. I thought
        > > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
        > > dissmay when i arrived
        > > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
        > > jones in it about
        > > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
        > > 90's as the quality
        > > was very good . any help would be greatly
        > > appreciated.
        > >
        > > Domo
        > >
        > > Kage taka
        > > aka
        > > Dave Jones
        > >

        > =====
        > Bill Fornshell
        > Founder and President
        > Cold Mountain Chanoyu
        > (Tea School for the New Millennium)
        > School of One
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      • Jason Silver
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
          Hi All

          I have found in the past that if you call around and ask them, do you
          have the movie Heaven and Earth ( and NOT the version with Tommy Lee
          Jones) that works the best!!

          Here's a little interesting tid bit about that movie

          Filmed outside of Calgary Alberta Canada. Some of the extra's where
          people from the SCA. At the end of filming, most of the props where
          given away to the extra's and then they where sold off.. There are a
          few people in Calgary that have Yumi bows that if you where to pull
          the string more then a inch or 2 it would snap in 1/2!

          It is one of my all time fave movies, mainly because I am only 3 hrs
          away from the filming location, but it was done well to me.. ( but
          what the heck do I know, I am just a loyal samurai.. LOL )

          Imakawa no Shiro Yoshitaka

          In sca-jml@y..., Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
          > site and type the title in the search block. Do a
          > "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
          > I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
          > You will be able to to the same. If the stores
          > closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
          > of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
          > period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
          > the store opens. Bill
          >

          > --- David <irish_65@y...> wrote:
          > > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
          > > might have caught
          > > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
          > > Warlords in medieval
          > > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
          > > as well. I thought
          > > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
          > > dissmay when i arrived
          > > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
          > > jones in it about
          > > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
          > > 90's as the quality
          > > was very good . any help would be greatly
          > > appreciated.
          > >
          > > Domo
          > >
          > > Kage taka
          > > aka
          > > Dave Jones
          > >

          > =====
          > Bill Fornshell
          > Founder and President
          > Cold Mountain Chanoyu
          > (Tea School for the New Millennium)
          > School of One
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

        • Mokurai
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
            My $.02 on this film can be found here...
            http://www.geocities.com/mokuraibozu/Films.html

            I won't bore anyone by reprinting it.

            - mokurai

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
              Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
              local BlockBuster Video this morning. I have just
              finished watching it and it was excellent. I have it
              for a week and expect to watch it several more times
              before I return it. I know I missed some of the many
              details trying to read the subtitles. I am deep into
              Chanoyu or as we call it Japanese Tea ceremony and the
              movie even had a little of that in the beginning.
              -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
              and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
              what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
              event?? It all looked great to me, but I have no
              knowledge of the "real vs for movie" stuff. I really
              liked what the good guy worn most of the time and
              really like the black and white uniforms. I want to
              re-look at the part where he went off in the snow
              alone. I think something like he was wearing during
              that part of the movie will be my first attempt at
              making an outfit for myself. Bill

              =====

              http://faith.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                Bill Fornshell wrote:

                > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                > local BlockBuster Video this morning.

                My take follows.

                Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
                have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
                about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
                sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.

                Plus, it's just not that good a film.

                Here's my favorite review of it:

                http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

                If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
                "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
                *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                "Kagemusha."

                > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                > event??

                I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.

                Effingham
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                  Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
                  have been looking over some of your web sites since I
                  posted my last message. I have looked at them many
                  times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
                  thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
                  agree with everything he says. I also would add that
                  for me, A person who understands little to no
                  Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
                  sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
                  time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
                  no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
                  "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
                  pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
                  Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
                  right.

                  I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
                  Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
                  movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
                  on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
                  movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
                  The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
                  again.

                  I will find both of the movies you reference in your
                  message and watch them. I have a background in
                  textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
                  I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
                  traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
                  clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
                  movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
                  excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
                  great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
                  Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
                  looking for the other two movie soon.
                  Thanks. Bill

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                    Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
                    Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

                    --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

                    =====
                    Bill Fornshell
                    Founder and President
                    Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                    (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                    School of One
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                    http://faith.yahoo.com
                  • Brian Dean
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                      *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                      "Kagemusha."
                      Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
                      i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
                      far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
                      differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
                      wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
                      patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
                      i want one..

                      >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
                      >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
                      >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
                      >
                      >Bill Fornshell wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                      > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
                      >
                      >My take follows.
                      >
                      >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
                      >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
                      >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
                      >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
                      >
                      >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
                      >
                      >Here's my favorite review of it:
                      >
                      >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
                      >
                      >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
                      >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
                      >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                      >"Kagemusha."
                      >
                      > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                      > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                      > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                      > > event??
                      >
                      >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
                      >

                      >Effingham

                      Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
                      Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
                      Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
                      Slayer of demons and their ilk
                      GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
                      "He Who Cares"
                      Samurai

                      Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

                      "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

                      "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
                      get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                        I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
                        watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
                        the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
                        like the black color that the good guy wears in it
                        better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
                        before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
                        the video both new and used for sale. New it is
                        $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
                        that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
                        or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
                        toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
                        pictures.

                        I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
                        pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
                        a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
                        had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
                        can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
                        might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
                        problem. Thanks. Bill.