Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago

  • David
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
      Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who might have caught
      the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two Warlords in medieval
      japan it was subtitled with some English Narration as well. I thought
      the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my dissmay when i arrived
      at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee jones in it about
      Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or 90's as the quality
      was very good . any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Domo

      Kage taka
      aka
      Dave Jones
    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
        function SetDomain(d) { document.domain = d; }Yes, it was titled "Heaven and Earth". The easiest way to get a copy is to find it on Ebay, that is where I got mine. When I was looking, I found that it was out of print, and they were not planning on renewing the license to make more copies (a year or more ago).

        Alcyoneus

      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
          Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
          site and type the title in the search block. Do a
          "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
          I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
          You will be able to to the same. If the stores
          closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
          of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
          period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
          the store opens. Bill

          --- David <irish_65@...> wrote:
          > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
          > might have caught
          > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
          > Warlords in medieval
          > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
          > as well. I thought
          > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
          > dissmay when i arrived
          > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
          > jones in it about
          > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
          > 90's as the quality
          > was very good . any help would be greatly
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Domo
          >
          > Kage taka
          > aka
          > Dave Jones

          =====
          Bill Fornshell
          Founder and President
          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
          School of One
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
            I created a photo album for Japanese movies and put a picture
            of the box for Heaven and Earth in the album.

            Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
            > site and type the title in the search block. Do a
            > "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
            > I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
            > You will be able to to the same. If the stores
            > closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
            > of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
            > period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
            > the store opens. Bill
            >

            > --- David <irish_65@y...> wrote:
            > > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
            > > might have caught
            > > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
            > > Warlords in medieval
            > > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
            > > as well. I thought
            > > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
            > > dissmay when i arrived
            > > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
            > > jones in it about
            > > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
            > > 90's as the quality
            > > was very good . any help would be greatly
            > > appreciated.
            > >
            > > Domo
            > >
            > > Kage taka
            > > aka
            > > Dave Jones
            > >

            > =====
            > Bill Fornshell
            > Founder and President
            > Cold Mountain Chanoyu
            > (Tea School for the New Millennium)
            > School of One
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

          • Jason Silver
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
              Hi All

              I have found in the past that if you call around and ask them, do you
              have the movie Heaven and Earth ( and NOT the version with Tommy Lee
              Jones) that works the best!!

              Here's a little interesting tid bit about that movie

              Filmed outside of Calgary Alberta Canada. Some of the extra's where
              people from the SCA. At the end of filming, most of the props where
              given away to the extra's and then they where sold off.. There are a
              few people in Calgary that have Yumi bows that if you where to pull
              the string more then a inch or 2 it would snap in 1/2!

              It is one of my all time fave movies, mainly because I am only 3 hrs
              away from the filming location, but it was done well to me.. ( but
              what the heck do I know, I am just a loyal samurai.. LOL )

              Imakawa no Shiro Yoshitaka

              In sca-jml@y..., Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > Hi David, Go to the http://www.blockbuster.com
              > site and type the title in the search block. Do a
              > "store search" by putting your zip code where asked.
              > I found that a store about 5 miles that away has it.
              > You will be able to to the same. If the stores
              > closest to you doesn't have it just go down the list
              > of stores until you find it. It is an 1482-1558 time
              > period movie. I am going to go rent later today when
              > the store opens. Bill
              >

              > --- David <irish_65@y...> wrote:
              > > Hail and well met I am trying to find someone who
              > > might have caught
              > > the Movie on cable a few eeks ago about the two
              > > Warlords in medieval
              > > japan it was subtitled with some English Narration
              > > as well. I thought
              > > the Title was Heaven and Earth but much to my
              > > dissmay when i arrived
              > > at suncoast video that was a film with tommy lee
              > > jones in it about
              > > Vietnam. This film had to be made in the 80's or
              > > 90's as the quality
              > > was very good . any help would be greatly
              > > appreciated.
              > >
              > > Domo
              > >
              > > Kage taka
              > > aka
              > > Dave Jones
              > >

              > =====
              > Bill Fornshell
              > Founder and President
              > Cold Mountain Chanoyu
              > (Tea School for the New Millennium)
              > School of One
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

            • Mokurai
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                My $.02 on this film can be found here...
                http://www.geocities.com/mokuraibozu/Films.html

                I won't bore anyone by reprinting it.

                - mokurai

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                  Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                  local BlockBuster Video this morning. I have just
                  finished watching it and it was excellent. I have it
                  for a week and expect to watch it several more times
                  before I return it. I know I missed some of the many
                  details trying to read the subtitles. I am deep into
                  Chanoyu or as we call it Japanese Tea ceremony and the
                  movie even had a little of that in the beginning.
                  -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                  and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                  what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                  event?? It all looked great to me, but I have no
                  knowledge of the "real vs for movie" stuff. I really
                  liked what the good guy worn most of the time and
                  really like the black and white uniforms. I want to
                  re-look at the part where he went off in the snow
                  alone. I think something like he was wearing during
                  that part of the movie will be my first attempt at
                  making an outfit for myself. Bill

                  =====

                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                    Bill Fornshell wrote:

                    > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                    > local BlockBuster Video this morning.

                    My take follows.

                    Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
                    have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
                    about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
                    sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.

                    Plus, it's just not that good a film.

                    Here's my favorite review of it:

                    http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html

                    If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
                    "Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
                    *well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                    "Kagemusha."

                    > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                    > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                    > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                    > event??

                    I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.

                    Effingham
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                      Hi--- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> I
                      have been looking over some of your web sites since I
                      posted my last message. I have looked at them many
                      times. You have put a lot of work into them and I
                      thank you for that. I looked at the movie review and
                      agree with everything he says. I also would add that
                      for me, A person who understands little to no
                      Japanese, I even had a hard time reading the
                      sub-titles. They are mostly in white and most of the
                      time over a white background. I have the movie "Sen
                      no Rikyu" and the plot of that one is so full of
                      "urban legend" that the part I like best is the Raku
                      pottery firing. I have been to the Raku Museum in
                      Kyoto, Japan several times and they got that part
                      right.

                      I just liked the cloths and uniforms in Heaven and
                      Earth. But, that is also why I like the Star War
                      movies and The Lord of the Rings. All of which I have
                      on DVD or video and have watched enough to tell the
                      movie story by heart. I have however, read all 3 of
                      The Lord of the Rings books and I am reading them over
                      again.

                      I will find both of the movies you reference in your
                      message and watch them. I have a background in
                      textile arts, I spin most everything to include paper.
                      I weave and do surface design on fabric. Many of the
                      traditional Japanese textile arts. I also work with
                      clay and have been doing that for 30 plus years. The
                      movie to me was like looking at an art book. An
                      excellent art book. Lots of art. Not all art is
                      great, but. From an art point of view I will look at
                      Heaven and Earth several more times and will start
                      looking for the other two movie soon.
                      Thanks. Bill

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
                        Hi, This was to easy, my local Blockbuster has
                        Kagemusha and I am on my way to get it now.

                        --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

                        =====
                        Bill Fornshell
                        Founder and President
                        Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                        (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                        School of One
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                        http://faith.yahoo.com
                      • Brian Dean
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                          *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                          "Kagemusha."
                          Amen, Preach it Brother Effingham,
                          i just wished i owned a copy of Kagemusha, Damn good garments, accurate as
                          far as i can tell, of course i think that the real oda was a little
                          differant from most Daimyo, but i wonder if there is precidence on him
                          wearing the "cross over" type of clothing he was portrayed in.( that wonder
                          patchwork looking kimonotop in the beginnign of the movie) if thats period,,
                          i want one..

                          >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
                          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Film on Cable a few weeks ago
                          >Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:33:23 -0500
                          >
                          >Bill Fornshell wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi David, I was able to rent Heaven and Earth from a
                          > > local BlockBuster Video this morning.
                          >
                          >My take follows.
                          >
                          >Nothing personal to those who like the film -- tastes vary. But I'd rather
                          >have a root canal than sit through it again. I feel like it the way I do
                          >about Braveheart. A good idea, but horribly flawed by a lack of historical
                          >sense and a total avoidance of historical accuracy.
                          >
                          >Plus, it's just not that good a film.
                          >
                          >Here's my favorite review of it:
                          >
                          >http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/heaven-and-earth.html
                          >
                          >If you want to see life, clothing, and warfare of the era, get a hold of
                          >"Furinkazan" (aka "Samurai Banners") which is available from Amazon and
                          >*well* worth the cost. *That* is the movie to see. And see. And see. Ditto
                          >"Kagemusha."
                          >
                          > > -----Question---- For someone up on Japanese clothing
                          > > and the uniform stuff they were wearing?? How much of
                          > > what we see in the movie would be OK to wear at a SCA
                          > > event??
                          >
                          >I can't recall, I'm afraid. But check out "Furinkazan" and you'll be fine.
                          >

                          >Effingham

                          Onishi Hirotaka no Tatsukami no Sohei
                          Kenjo to Onishi Katsushima, Drunken monk,
                          Member of the 5th Legion southern prefecture
                          Slayer of demons and their ilk
                          GM of Monsters of the Wetlands
                          "He Who Cares"
                          Samurai

                          Also known as the Gentle Firbolg Dughan

                          "im not the man they think i am at all"--Elton John

                          "where are yu, going,,,im gonna go pick a fight,,,,,Well at least i didn't
                          get all dressed up for nuthin!!"---braveheart

                        • Bill Fornshell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                            I rented a copy of Kagemusha from BlockBuster and have
                            watched it once. It is great. However, I still like
                            the cloths in Heaven and Earth better. I think I just
                            like the black color that the good guy wears in it
                            better. I will watch Kagemusha maybe 2 more times
                            before I return it. Amazon.com has several copies of
                            the video both new and used for sale. New it is
                            $19.98. I ordered a piece of hardware for my computer
                            that will allow me to do a screen capture from a video
                            or DVD. Can't say what I intend to do with this new
                            toy, but if it works like I hope, I will post some
                            pictures.

                            I am getting ready to try and make a pair of Hakama
                            pants, is or can, the kimono you wear under the pants
                            a shorter length than a regular kimono? I though I
                            had a site that showed a shorter version, but now I
                            can't find it. I started printing out the stuff I
                            might want to look at again so I don't repeat that
                            problem. Thanks. Bill.