Hello!

  • Todd Frazee
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2002
      Hello, I'm new to the list although I've been in the SCA for uh... *scratches his head* 6 years now. Has it been that long already? yike

      Anyways I've always been toying with the idea of a secondary Japanese personae and with my starting in a bit of MA training I've decided to give it a whirl.

      So here I am. :-)

      One of the areas I've had a bear of a time in is getting an idea for garb. It turns out I have little to no idea how it all fits togeather and is sized properly.

      For example, how long should a haori's sleeves be? Where should they rest on the arm (below wrist or on, above etc..)? What all goes into the outfit?

      That kinda stuff. I've been eyeing a few very nice outfits on ebay lately, but I am never sure on the sizing... I just passed up a beautiful, immaculate Haori, liner, and hakama set for 86 and shipping for lack of this knowledge. I /think/ it mighta fit... but I dont want to pay the 100+ with shipping to be wrong.

      Any help you could give would be great.

      thanks!

      Caelin of Darkenwood

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2002
        Well, first I would point to the garb section here--Look in the files at
        the garb files that Hiraizumi-dono has put up.

        As to the haori, I am not sure if that is what you want to look at--I'm
        not sure when it got picked up by the samurai as a common garment. I know
        that dobuku and jinbaori were worn in period, but the haori most people
        think about seems to be a much later (Meiji) development.

        One site titled "Japanese dictionary of history and traditions"
        (http://www.kikyaku.com/dico/histxtg.html) has:

        "Literally 'to wear by throwing', it may have originated from 'jitsutoku',
        a jacket for servants or 'jinbaori' a jacket worn by samurai over an
        armory, it became a casual clothing for men while banned for women because
        it was too manly. Since Meiji period it has become a formal costume for
        both men and women as street wear."

        What I would recommend starting with is the kosode and hakama. Log in to
        http://groups.yahoo.com and then goto:

        On top of that you can then throw a hitatare, for formal engagements, and
        a dobuku for lounging. Regardless, it gets a nice base for any other
        garment that you would want to wear.

        Sizing isn't too much of a problem. Lengths are based on the fabric width
        of traditional Japanese fabric--20"~15", usually about 18" during much of
        period, it seems. The length is pretty arbitrary too, although making it
        a little bit longer than neccessary seems better than making it too short.
        Furthermore, everything is just rectangles.

        Regrettably, there aren't many good sources of affordable historical
        Japanese clothing--especially for Westerners.

        If you specifically want the haori, though, I'm sure we can help you with
        it.

        -ii