Heian hakama question

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2002
      I've a question regarding the hakama and sashinuki of Heian Japan. I'm
      noticing that you can often see the undergarments through the slits in
      kariginu, sashinuki, etc. and it usually appears to be of the same
      patterned fabric on both the top and the bottom.

      So, the question becomes, is this one garment (koromo?) that hangs down
      past the knees, or are these two garments, with the bottom hakama being
      closed on the sides so that you can't see any further?

      Also, where are the shitabakama in such a situation, since you don't see
      anything but the sashinuki, and where do they tie? In the front and back,
      or along the sides?