Hyakunin Isshu for Everyone!

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2002
      Okay, I had some time this weekend (car broke down, so I wasn't going
      anywhere) and so I finally finished up one project I've been thinking of:
      create a set of Hyakunin Isshu (100 Poets) cards that any one should be
      able to use. I've written out the poems in Japanese and Romaji (Roman
      characters) so that even if you can't read the Japanese you should still
      be able to play (although knowing the Japanese will be helpful).

      There were a few things I had to take into account:

      a) a few of the kanji are used in the more modern format if my computer
      couldn't find the old version

      b) I've been rather literal with much of my transcription: if the furigana
      said 'a fu' even though it is pronounced today as 'a u' I left the 'fu'.

      c) I used 'JI' for both 'ZI' and 'DI'. Otherwise I used the English
      romaji characters 'SHI', 'TSU', CHI', 'DZU', 'FU' instead of 'SI', 'TU',
      'TI', 'DU', 'HU' in the main poems, although I used the latter format for
      the 'answer' cards since they scanned better for the format.

      d) I stayed true on the answer cards to the voiceless format--that is,
      instead of things like 'GA', 'ZA', and 'DA', using 'KA', 'SA', and
      'TA'--in the Japanese hiragana answer, but left the voicing up in the
      Romaji since the voicing marks in Japanese don't translate similarly to
      Roman characters.

      e) I was unsure how best to mix the Romaji and Japanese kana. I decided
      to use the Romaji almost as furigana, doing a line of Romaji followed by a
      line of Jpaanese. On the answer cards, I seperated the two because I felt
      it would be easier for participants to read the cards when they are on the
      ground.

      Unfortunately, these cards do not have any wonderful pictures on them--I
      didn't feel there was enough room in this format. Hopefully that will
      come later.