Re: [SCA-JML] Games help?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2002
      I have a 'hyakunin isshu' [100 Poets] card set--of course, it is all in
      Japanese (I REALLY need to get a romaji set to play with more people).
      There's kai-awase (shell matching) but I don't know anyone who has enough
      shells to do that. I wonder if they ever matched cards?

      How about a go board? Go, gomoku, etc. That can even be done on graph
      paper if need be.

      Does anyone know when mahjong appeared and if it made it over to Japan?
      Of course, from what I know about it it has much more serious underworld
      popularity in Asia--whereas here you see it more as a friendly game (I
      could tell stories about my friend's mom and our mahjong games--She was
      from Hong Kong and to her, it was serious.)

      -Ii, not Li... yet...
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
        Mokurai wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > We're looking into games that are Period for late 16th cent. Japan for the
        > event. My games master has found a few leads besides the usual and I was
        > hoping someone on the list might have some more ideas for resources or be
        > able to help us with translating a good games site he found. Take a look at
        > what my friend wrote below and if you read Japanese check out the link.

        How about the standards of go, shogi, and sugoroku? Someone with basis
        woodworking/cabinetmaking skills can easily produce a Japanese sugoroku
        "board." The nice thing is most people already know how to play sugoroku
        (backgammon!) and it's easy to learn the basics of go. Only shogi takes more
        time and effort to learn.

        Effingham
      • Mokurai
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
          Actually, we already have those covered. I deleted their mention from the
          original post because I thought it superfluous. Anyway, yes we will have two
          or three boards of each of those games present and Michel is familiar with
          all of them and ready to teach. Shogi sets are hardest to come by, however,
          so if anyone has links to good places to buy them, let me know. We are
          looking especially for sets that include the "international symbols" as well
          as or in stead of the kanji - a sacrilege, I know, but useful when it comes
          to teaching. Especially kids.

          - mokurai