Re: Hello

  • samuraiofshadows
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002

      > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),

      Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
      and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
      may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
      for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

      Takebayashi Genpachi
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
        On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, samuraiofshadows wrote:

        > --- In sca-jml@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
        >
        > > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),
        >
        > Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
        > and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
        > may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
        > for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

        Well, since Matsuyama-dono is hosting it, I suggest we talk to him; I'm
        sure he could help arrange something.

        -Ii
      • Mokurai
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
          Greetings,

          Cool idea! If someone wants to get the JML people together in one place, I'd
          be happy to provide a spot. I'd like to have someone volunteer to be in
          charge of it though, so I don't have to worry about it too much. I can offer
          a large gazebo or tables in the hall... Perhaps reserved seating for the
          feast at the Inn?

          Let me know what you'd like to do.

          - mokurai

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 15, 2002
            Unfortunately it looks as though Phillip and I will not be able to attend...turns out our Barony has a big demo that day and, as Baron & Baroness, we should be there.

            I am really disappointed...I was really looking forward to being with you. Maybe next time.....

            Kiri
            > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),

            Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
            and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
            may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
            for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

            Takebayashi Genpachi

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Anna
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 6, 2003
              Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
              I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over here
              in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
              I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
              preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
              high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have found
              are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
              know.
              -Anna
            • Hina no Banpaia
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 6, 2003
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                > Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                > I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over
                here
                > in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase
                geta,
                > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with
                narrow,
                > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                found
                > are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                > know.
                > -Anna

                You could always try contacting Jojo of http://www.karankoron.com/
                and ask him about custom making them
              • kujika@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 6, 2003
                  looking for geta try http://www.karankoron.com/

                • Deborah K. Strub
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 8, 2003
                    Greetings,

                    I, too hail from the Kingdom of An Tir. I'm over here in Dragon's Laire
                    (across Puget Sound from Seattle). Where in An Tir are you from?
                    I found my geta many years ago at a thrift store. I believe Uwajimaya
                    carries them, or at least they used to. There are stores in Seattle and
                    Portland, Oregon.
                    I generally don't wear geta at outdoor tourneys here in An Tir. The
                    footing us usually too uneven to be safe. If I have to do a lot of running
                    around like field heraldry I wear chiga-tabi. They're out of period but are
                    more practical for me.

                    YIS,

                    Murakami Tsuruko

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 8, 2003
                      If you live near Seattle, you may try heading downtown to the International District
                      (roughly 5th and Jackson up to 11th and King), I have seen several pairs there for reasonable prices. Just avoid Uwajimaya, they tend to be tourist priced.

                      Anna <andrivete@...> wrote:
                      Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                      I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over here
                      in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                      I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                      preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                      high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have found
                      are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                      know.
                      -Anna

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                        > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                        > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                        > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                        found
                        > are Gakusei-ashida.

                        Haven't seen any of this particular style. I found a pair fairly
                        inexpensively at www.houserice.com

                        Welcome.
                        Makiwara no Yetsuko
                      • genevra1676
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
                          Hi!!

                          One problem I keep running into is that my feet are fairly small--
                          less than 9"--but the smallest geta I've seen at an online store are
                          9.5". I've heard that if anything geta & zori should be a little bit
                          shorter than your feet so that your heel sticks over the edge a
                          little. I have however found nice looking geta in my size on eBay,
                          so you might want to check there too.

                          Genevra

                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                          > Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                          > I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over
                          here
                          > in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                          > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                          > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                          > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                          found
                          > are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                          > know.
                          > -Anna
                        • Mark Grass
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 27, 2003
                            I am new to this list as it was just recommended
                            to me. I currently do a Viking person but also have
                            an interest in the Japanese culture. I know I'm
                            interested primarily in the Kamakura period but
                            the problem is I'm completely unable to find a list of
                            Japanese names. At least that will give me
                            meanings or some way to understand them. Any help at
                            all in my research and development of a Japanese
                            persona would be highly appreciated.
                            Thank you
                            Snaebjorn Haakonsson

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • Solveig
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 27, 2003

                              Greetings from Solveig! You can obtain a copy of

                              Name Construction in Medieval Japan

                              either by purchase from Potboiler Press at alban@...
                              or from Free Trumpet Press West off of the college of arms
                              web page reachable from http://www.sca.org or you can
                              borrow it from a library via interlibrary loan.

                              For those of you who doubt, NCMJ is currently at the printers.
                              Honest.

                            • Mark Grass
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 27, 2003
                                Thank you quite alot. I appreciate it. Have to ask my
                                library if they have it around our system. Thanks
                                again

                                --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:
                                > Noble Cousin!
                                >
                                > Greetings from Solveig! You can obtain a copy of
                                >
                                > Name Construction in Medieval Japan
                                >
                                > either by purchase from Potboiler Press at
                                > alban@...
                                > or from Free Trumpet Press West off of the college
                                > of arms
                                > web page reachable from http://www.sca.org or you
                                > can
                                > borrow it from a library via interlibrary loan.
                                >
                                > For those of you who doubt, NCMJ is currently at the
                                > printers.
                                > Honest.
                                > --
                                >
                                > Your Humble Servant
                                > Solveig Throndardottir
                                > Amateur Scholar

                                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig
                                > Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
                                > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia
                                > Statis Mentis Est |
                                > | mailto:nostrand@... |
                                > mailto:bnostran@... |

                                > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are
                                > automatically routed to |
                                > | the trash by my email filters.

                                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                              • aurealfae
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                                  Hiya, my handle's aureal til I get an SCA name, I have a
                                  Mongolian/Chinese persona as a base but wear almost anything as long
                                  as I think its pretty. However my SCA boyfriend loves Japan; he tries
                                  to act like he doesnt and says he wants to match my persona but I know
                                  him better.....
                                  I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been trying to do the
                                  research on my own, but as I delve more and more into it, I'm getting
                                  lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue as to what all the
                                  terminology is and what goes with what. I want his garb to
                                  look "right" -not perfect- but good enough that it doesnt look like I
                                  have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in some kind of
                                  direction? I need something basic, as I am a novice sewer, but really,
                                  really good looking. Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
                                • John Doe
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                    well I recomend some sites for ya

                                    Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
                                    www.folkwear.com

                                    for kimono fabric and more go to
                                    http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.3html.htm

                                    Sato-San is the best if you like to get more information on kimono
                                    or any thing in japanese garb

                                    if you like Hein period costuming and textiles go to
                                    www.yusoku.com (japanese only)

                                    if you like Japanese kinran got to
                                    www.kinran-marukin.co.jp
                                    http://www.juho-tougei.com/ (japanese/english)
                                    they sell kinran by the yard

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

                                      > well I recomend some sites for ya
                                      >
                                      > Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
                                      > www.folkwear.com

                                      Folkwear's patterns are not, repeat NOT period patterns for SCA use.
                                      The dimensions are different from period garments. Why pay money for a
                                      pattern that you will have to change - and won't KNOW how to change
                                      unless you do your homework?

                                      as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
                                      men in there.

                                      For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
                                      http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm

                                      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
                                      guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
                                      links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
                                      like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

                                      Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                                        > as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
                                        > men in there.
                                        >
                                        > For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
                                        > http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
                                        >
                                        > http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
                                        > guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
                                        > links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
                                        > like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

                                        Gah! I should not try to do this before running to work.

                                        The most basic generic Japanese outfit you can do consists of kosode
                                        and hakama. Ideally he should have two kosode (one acts as an
                                        undershirt), cut to about knee or calf length for wear under his
                                        hakama. He also needs an obi (sash) to close his kosode with. A
                                        kataginu or hitatare will dress it up somewhat. The good news is that
                                        everything you have to make is based on rectangles - it's almost all
                                        straight lines.

                                        NOW I can run to work.

                                        Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
                                      • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                          --- aurealfae <sanjaasuren.aureal@...> wrote:

                                          > I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been
                                          > trying to do the
                                          > research on my own, but as I delve more and more
                                          > into it, I'm getting
                                          > lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue
                                          > as to what all the
                                          > terminology is and what goes with what.

                                          Kyoto Costume Museum is a good place to get an idea of
                                          what Japanese garb of various periods looks like.
                                          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

                                          Hiraizumi-sensei's website is excellent
                                          http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/index.html

                                          There are several sites with excellent period basic
                                          construction information available.
                                          Saionji-hime's site:
                                          http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
                                          Koredono-dono's site:
                                          http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
                                          also:
                                          http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm

                                          There are PDF patterns for period men's clothes in the
                                          Garb Files section:

                                          Check the archives for other recommendations. This
                                          type of question is asked regularly. Best wishes in
                                          your endeavors.

                                          Ki no Izumi

                                          __________________________________
                                          http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                        • Sanjaasuren
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                                            Thank you so much for all your help; all the information narrows it all down
                                            and makes it easier for me to start- when i started looking through
                                            everything the other day i just got lost- I had no clue what i was getting
                                            into- so many different styles and layers, and no idea what all the stuff
                                            was. Thank you because I know the question i asked has probably also been
                                            overdone. Hopefully I can make something he and I will both be proud of!
                                            aurealfae
                                            --
                                            If it's a question of whether to do what's fun or what is
                                            supposed to be good for you, and nobody is hurt by which-

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005

                                              Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                                              males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                                              in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                                              talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                                              something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                                              in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > Noble Cousins!
                                                >
                                                > Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                                                > males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                                                > in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                                                > talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                                                > something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                                                > in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                                                My web page has instructions on how to construct obi and appropriate
                                                pre-1600 dimensions. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

                                                Apologies if any links are wonky, I've just moved to a new web host.