Ate-obi--what exactly is it?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2002
      As the subject asks, what is an ate-obi? I know that it is worn with such
      things as the kariginu--seems to be just an all-purpose belt (although you
      probably need one that matches your outfit. My thought is to do an
      ate-obi of the same fabric as that of the kariginu that I am making...
      assuming I have enough fabric. It seems like it just needs to wrap around
      once and tie in front, since there does not appear to be a support
      function (that I can see) other than keeping the garment closed. Any
      thoughts are appreciated.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2002
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > As the subject asks, what is an ate-obi? I know that it is worn with such
        > things as the kariginu--seems to be just an all-purpose belt (although you
        > probably need one that matches your outfit. My thought is to do an
        > ate-obi of the same fabric as that of the kariginu that I am making...
        > assuming I have enough fabric. It seems like it just needs to wrap around
        > once and tie in front, since there does not appear to be a support
        > function (that I can see) other than keeping the garment closed. Any
        > thoughts are appreciated.

        That's exactly what it is. Technically, it's what we might call a "self-belt"
        -- that is, a sash made of the same fabric as the garment it's worn with, so
        as to be functionally nearly invisible.