Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hello

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 7, 2002
      On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, solfir_droth wrote:

      > Well Thats my dilemma, I was looking for different time periods in
      > japanese history, for one suited for me, but I came up empty. I was
      > searching for what clothing looked like, What differences inweapon
      > styles, what leaders, and conflicts, and differences in social and
      > moral intricacies (like how honor was viewed, how the caste system
      > was viewed, all to better fine tune my persona.) what are some good
      > links to go to, or books to look at???

      http://www.iz2.or.jp -- This is the Kyoto Costume Museum. It is in
      Japanese but they have an English site as well. They have some of the
      best costume idea resources.

      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com -- This is the site of Baron Edward of
      Effingham, aka Master Hiraizumi Tadanobu, OP, OL, etc. Not only is he a
      published author of several Japanese history books (and an rpg, IIRC), but
      he has a wonderful web site that is still growing.

      http://www.angelfire.com/on3/sanazami/ -- Nobumitsu's Toshokan is a good
      stop, although I don't know how much information it has at the moment or
      how up to date it is.

      There are other sites, but I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.
      You might want to check out Sansom's "A History of Japan" vol. 1 (to 1334)
      and vol. 2 (1334-1615).

      For a brief look, however:

      Jomon -- Early Japanese. You don't see much of what we think of as modern
      day Japanese culture at this time. Basically nomadic tribes of people
      living off of the land. The name comes from patterns (mon) made with
      rope on pottery that was made during this period.

      Yayoi -- Named for the district in Tokyo where evidence was first found.
      The Japanese imperial dynasty has its beginnings here, IIRC. Still,
      nothing like later periods. People have settled down and you see nuts as
      one of the main food sources. Trade is beginning with China.

      Kofun -- Named after the large burial mounds found near Nara, we see the
      beginnings of 'keiko' styled armour in Japan, which evolves into the yoroi
      of later periods.

      Asuka -- Here we really start to see the influence of Chinese dress. The
      ho, the mo, and other features of courtly dress.

      Nara -- At this point in time the Capital has settled in Nara. Buddhism
      hits Japan, and full scale assimilation of mainland habits is underway
      through China and Korea. The focus is on the nobles, with the warrior
      class still being rather low on the totem pole, as it were.

      Heian -- Beginning in the 8th Century, the capital is moved north, to
      'Heian-kyo', modern day Kyoto. The city is planned according to Chinese
      Geomancy, with a lot of numerology. This is a time of learning and
      sophistication, at first. Japanese poetry and prose really come into
      their own. The diaries (pillow books--named for where they were kept) of
      women such as 'Sei Shonagon' and the novel "The Tale of Genji" paint a
      picture of this era as a time of ritual, superstition, arts, and learning.
      However, the court grows insular and comes to neglect the outside
      world--even the edges of the capital become dishelved, overgrown, and fall
      into disrepair.

      Kamakura -- Towards the end of the Heian period, the warrior classes have
      risen to power, and a great struggle takes place between the houses of
      Taira and Minamoto--The Gempei wars. These are detailed in many texts,
      including the most famous, "Heike Monogatari" (The Tale of Heike). The
      Minamoto rise to power, and found the first shogunate in Kamakura.
      Kamakura is chosen to get away from the nobles and their over-indulgence
      which has made them weak. The bushi, or samurai, strip much of the
      ostentation from clothing and ceremonies, an the country is under martial
      law. This is the evolution of the Japanese warrior class, although they
      are still mainly horsed archers rather than swordsmen.

      Muromachi -- The Ashikaga shogunate wrests power away from the Hojo clan,
      with the pretense of empowering the Emperor once more, but then they take
      the power for themselves, setting up a capital in Heian-kyo, in the
      Muromachi district. The warrior class grows more opulent, and the
      Ashikaga allow themselves to be seduced by Heian-kyo. Meanwhile, samurai
      in the provinces slowly gain more local power. While the shoguns are
      building such monuments as Kinkakuji--the Gold Pavillion--local warlords
      in the provinces are carving out domains for themselves, becoming daimyo,
      or great names.

      Momoyama -- In the 15th Century, war breaks out again. Soon, the entire
      country is at war going into the 16th Century, and eventually the
      shogunate is deposed, leaving a power vacuum. This is a time of chaos,
      with wandering swordsmen and banditry. Much of what we think of as
      'samurai warfare' really evolves around this time. It is also when
      European contact becomes rather important. The Portugese landed in the
      late Muromachi, and soon all of the daimyo are looking for an edge from
      the 'Southern Barbarians'. The thing most sought after are the matchlock
      rifles, which change the face of battles in Japan. This is the time of
      Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu.

      Edo Period -- In 1600, Tokugawa Ieyasu's Eastern Army meets the Western
      Army of Toyotomi Hideyori's supporters, led by Ishida Mitsunari. With his
      victory, Tokugawa eventually becomes shogun, and starts an era of peace
      that lasts for over 2 centuries. This is where many martial arts trace
      back to, and much of what we think of as 'traditional Japanese' values.

      Hope that helps, some.

      > By the way thank you for your help, and I live in the Kingdon of
      > Atlantia.

      Ware mo!* I'm in Stierbach, mka the outskirts of Northern Virginia. If
      you are in the area, feel free to drop by--I live in Centreville and my
      home is open this coming Monday night for any and all things Asian, and
      I'll specifically be making sure to have materials on hand for a brief
      intro to Japanese garb.

      Otherwise, I'll be at Celtic Cattle Raids (although I'm looking to do Late
      Irish for the event, due to thematic elements), Kingdom Crusades, Sword
      and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom), Crown Tournament, Holiday Faire, and
      possibly 12th Night. I'm hoping to also make it to Dunn Carraig's
      Baronial Birthday, but I may have to send regrets depending on how my
      schedule works out in real life.

      -Ii

      *Me, too!

    • samuraiofshadows
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002

        > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),

        Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
        and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
        may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
        for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

        Takebayashi Genpachi
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
          On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, samuraiofshadows wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
          >
          > > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),
          >
          > Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
          > and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
          > may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
          > for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

          Well, since Matsuyama-dono is hosting it, I suggest we talk to him; I'm
          sure he could help arrange something.

          -Ii
        • Mokurai
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
            Greetings,

            Cool idea! If someone wants to get the JML people together in one place, I'd
            be happy to provide a spot. I'd like to have someone volunteer to be in
            charge of it though, so I don't have to worry about it too much. I can offer
            a large gazebo or tables in the hall... Perhaps reserved seating for the
            feast at the Inn?

            Let me know what you'd like to do.

            - mokurai

          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 15, 2002
              Unfortunately it looks as though Phillip and I will not be able to attend...turns out our Barony has a big demo that day and, as Baron & Baroness, we should be there.

              I am really disappointed...I was really looking forward to being with you. Maybe next time.....

              Kiri
              > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),

              Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
              and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
              may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
              for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

              Takebayashi Genpachi

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Anna
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 6 6:43 PM
                Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over here
                in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have found
                are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                know.
                -Anna
              • Hina no Banpaia
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 6 7:41 PM
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                  > Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                  > I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over
                  here
                  > in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                  > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase
                  geta,
                  > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with
                  narrow,
                  > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                  found
                  > are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                  > know.
                  > -Anna

                  You could always try contacting Jojo of http://www.karankoron.com/
                  and ask him about custom making them
                • kujika@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 6 7:41 PM
                    looking for geta try http://www.karankoron.com/

                  • Deborah K. Strub
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 8 6:28 PM
                      Greetings,

                      I, too hail from the Kingdom of An Tir. I'm over here in Dragon's Laire
                      (across Puget Sound from Seattle). Where in An Tir are you from?
                      I found my geta many years ago at a thrift store. I believe Uwajimaya
                      carries them, or at least they used to. There are stores in Seattle and
                      Portland, Oregon.
                      I generally don't wear geta at outdoor tourneys here in An Tir. The
                      footing us usually too uneven to be safe. If I have to do a lot of running
                      around like field heraldry I wear chiga-tabi. They're out of period but are
                      more practical for me.

                      YIS,

                      Murakami Tsuruko

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 8 9:45 PM
                        If you live near Seattle, you may try heading downtown to the International District
                        (roughly 5th and Jackson up to 11th and King), I have seen several pairs there for reasonable prices. Just avoid Uwajimaya, they tend to be tourist priced.

                        Anna <andrivete@...> wrote:
                        Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                        I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over here
                        in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                        I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                        preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                        high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have found
                        are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                        know.
                        -Anna

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 9 6:27 AM
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                          > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                          > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                          > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                          found
                          > are Gakusei-ashida.

                          Haven't seen any of this particular style. I found a pair fairly
                          inexpensively at www.houserice.com

                          Welcome.
                          Makiwara no Yetsuko
                        • genevra1676
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 10 4:45 AM
                            Hi!!

                            One problem I keep running into is that my feet are fairly small--
                            less than 9"--but the smallest geta I've seen at an online store are
                            9.5". I've heard that if anything geta & zori should be a little bit
                            shorter than your feet so that your heel sticks over the edge a
                            little. I have however found nice looking geta in my size on eBay,
                            so you might want to check there too.

                            Genevra

                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                            > Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                            > I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over
                            here
                            > in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                            > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                            > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                            > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                            found
                            > are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                            > know.
                            > -Anna
                          • Mark Grass
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 27, 2003
                              I am new to this list as it was just recommended
                              to me. I currently do a Viking person but also have
                              an interest in the Japanese culture. I know I'm
                              interested primarily in the Kamakura period but
                              the problem is I'm completely unable to find a list of
                              Japanese names. At least that will give me
                              meanings or some way to understand them. Any help at
                              all in my research and development of a Japanese
                              persona would be highly appreciated.
                              Thank you
                              Snaebjorn Haakonsson

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                            • Solveig
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 27, 2003

                                Greetings from Solveig! You can obtain a copy of

                                Name Construction in Medieval Japan

                                either by purchase from Potboiler Press at alban@...
                                or from Free Trumpet Press West off of the college of arms
                                web page reachable from http://www.sca.org or you can
                                borrow it from a library via interlibrary loan.

                                For those of you who doubt, NCMJ is currently at the printers.
                                Honest.

                              • Mark Grass
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 27, 2003
                                  Thank you quite alot. I appreciate it. Have to ask my
                                  library if they have it around our system. Thanks
                                  again

                                  --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:
                                  > Noble Cousin!
                                  >
                                  > Greetings from Solveig! You can obtain a copy of
                                  >
                                  > Name Construction in Medieval Japan
                                  >
                                  > either by purchase from Potboiler Press at
                                  > alban@...
                                  > or from Free Trumpet Press West off of the college
                                  > of arms
                                  > web page reachable from http://www.sca.org or you
                                  > can
                                  > borrow it from a library via interlibrary loan.
                                  >
                                  > For those of you who doubt, NCMJ is currently at the
                                  > printers.
                                  > Honest.
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Your Humble Servant
                                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                                  > Amateur Scholar

                                  > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig
                                  > Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
                                  > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia
                                  > Statis Mentis Est |
                                  > | mailto:nostrand@... |
                                  > mailto:bnostran@... |

                                  > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are
                                  > automatically routed to |
                                  > | the trash by my email filters.

                                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                • aurealfae
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                                    Hiya, my handle's aureal til I get an SCA name, I have a
                                    Mongolian/Chinese persona as a base but wear almost anything as long
                                    as I think its pretty. However my SCA boyfriend loves Japan; he tries
                                    to act like he doesnt and says he wants to match my persona but I know
                                    him better.....
                                    I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been trying to do the
                                    research on my own, but as I delve more and more into it, I'm getting
                                    lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue as to what all the
                                    terminology is and what goes with what. I want his garb to
                                    look "right" -not perfect- but good enough that it doesnt look like I
                                    have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in some kind of
                                    direction? I need something basic, as I am a novice sewer, but really,
                                    really good looking. Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
                                  • John Doe
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                      well I recomend some sites for ya

                                      Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
                                      www.folkwear.com

                                      for kimono fabric and more go to
                                      http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.3html.htm

                                      Sato-San is the best if you like to get more information on kimono
                                      or any thing in japanese garb

                                      if you like Hein period costuming and textiles go to
                                      www.yusoku.com (japanese only)

                                      if you like Japanese kinran got to
                                      www.kinran-marukin.co.jp
                                      http://www.juho-tougei.com/ (japanese/english)
                                      they sell kinran by the yard

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

                                        > well I recomend some sites for ya
                                        >
                                        > Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
                                        > www.folkwear.com

                                        Folkwear's patterns are not, repeat NOT period patterns for SCA use.
                                        The dimensions are different from period garments. Why pay money for a
                                        pattern that you will have to change - and won't KNOW how to change
                                        unless you do your homework?

                                        as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
                                        men in there.

                                        For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
                                        http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm

                                        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
                                        guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
                                        links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
                                        like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

                                        Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                                          > as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
                                          > men in there.
                                          >
                                          > For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
                                          > http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
                                          >
                                          > http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
                                          > guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
                                          > links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
                                          > like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

                                          Gah! I should not try to do this before running to work.

                                          The most basic generic Japanese outfit you can do consists of kosode
                                          and hakama. Ideally he should have two kosode (one acts as an
                                          undershirt), cut to about knee or calf length for wear under his
                                          hakama. He also needs an obi (sash) to close his kosode with. A
                                          kataginu or hitatare will dress it up somewhat. The good news is that
                                          everything you have to make is based on rectangles - it's almost all
                                          straight lines.

                                          NOW I can run to work.

                                          Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
                                        • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                            --- aurealfae <sanjaasuren.aureal@...> wrote:

                                            > I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been
                                            > trying to do the
                                            > research on my own, but as I delve more and more
                                            > into it, I'm getting
                                            > lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue
                                            > as to what all the
                                            > terminology is and what goes with what.

                                            Kyoto Costume Museum is a good place to get an idea of
                                            what Japanese garb of various periods looks like.
                                            http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

                                            Hiraizumi-sensei's website is excellent
                                            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/index.html

                                            There are several sites with excellent period basic
                                            construction information available.
                                            Saionji-hime's site:
                                            http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
                                            Koredono-dono's site:
                                            http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
                                            also:
                                            http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm

                                            There are PDF patterns for period men's clothes in the
                                            Garb Files section:

                                            Check the archives for other recommendations. This
                                            type of question is asked regularly. Best wishes in
                                            your endeavors.

                                            Ki no Izumi

                                            __________________________________
                                            http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                          • Sanjaasuren
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                                              Thank you so much for all your help; all the information narrows it all down
                                              and makes it easier for me to start- when i started looking through
                                              everything the other day i just got lost- I had no clue what i was getting
                                              into- so many different styles and layers, and no idea what all the stuff
                                              was. Thank you because I know the question i asked has probably also been
                                              overdone. Hopefully I can make something he and I will both be proud of!
                                              aurealfae
                                              --
                                              If it's a question of whether to do what's fun or what is
                                              supposed to be good for you, and nobody is hurt by which-

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005

                                                Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                                                males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                                                in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                                                talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                                                something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                                                in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Noble Cousins!
                                                  >
                                                  > Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                                                  > males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                                                  > in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                                                  > talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                                                  > something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                                                  > in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                                                  My web page has instructions on how to construct obi and appropriate
                                                  pre-1600 dimensions. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

                                                  Apologies if any links are wonky, I've just moved to a new web host.