Re: [SCA-JML] Hello

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 7, 2002
      On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, solfir_droth wrote:

      > I just joined your group, I've been looking for a japanese/oriental
      > group to help me with some stuff. I recently got together with some
      > friends of mine and we are all going to join the SCA, but I am having
      > the hardest time finding pre 16 century japanese garb, I am willing
      > to make it my self but at least need a book or template to emulate,
      > then I could change it to make it my own. Can any one assiste me in
      > a book suggestion, or web site.

      Okay, by 'pre-16 century' are you looking for before 1600? Muromachi
      Period (14th~16th century -- Ashikaga shogunate based in Kyoto), the
      Kamakura Period (12th~14th century -- Minamoto/Hojo shoguns based in
      Kamakura), Heian (8th~12th Century -- Noble culture based in Heiankyo,
      modern day Kyoto) or earlier?

      Or are you looking at pre-1600 Momoyama culture (Warring States period,
      Toyotomi's rule, etc.)

      My first suggestion for patterns, now that you've found this group, is to
      check out the garb files--sign in to Yahoo!groups, navigate to sca-jml,
      and then go to the 'files' section. There should be a bunch of 'garb
      files'.

      The easiest bit of first garb to do is a later period kosode, hakama, and
      hitatare or kataginu. They are made entirely of rectangular pieces of
      cloth, which makes it much easier for many people to sew together. A
      dobuku would be bad for this time (I should be putting notes up on that
      today--I keep forgetting to do that).

      If you are looking for earlier than that, decide whether you are looking
      at the samurai or noble culture.

      Let us know and I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to help!

      -Ii

      PS: Where are you located geographically?
    • solfir_droth
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 7, 2002
        Well Thats my dilemma, I was looking for different time periods in
        japanese history, for one suited for me, but I came up empty. I was
        searching for what clothing looked like, What differences inweapon
        styles, what leaders, and conflicts, and differences in social and
        moral intricacies (like how honor was viewed, how the caste system
        was viewed, all to better fine tune my persona.) what are some good
        links to go to, or books to look at???
        By the way thank you for your help, and I live in the Kingdon of
        Atlantia.

      • Takedasama@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 7, 2002
          In a message dated 9/7/2002 12:58:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          solfir_droth@... writes:

          > By the way thank you for your help, and I live in the Kingdon of
          > Atlantia.

          Wonderful!!
          Welcome to the SCA!
          I also live in Atlantia. St. Georges Canton, Barony of Notinghill Coill.
          (Clemson, SC) I look forward to meeting you at Events!

          -Takeda Yoshinaka

        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 7, 2002
            On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, solfir_droth wrote:

            > Well Thats my dilemma, I was looking for different time periods in
            > japanese history, for one suited for me, but I came up empty. I was
            > searching for what clothing looked like, What differences inweapon
            > styles, what leaders, and conflicts, and differences in social and
            > moral intricacies (like how honor was viewed, how the caste system
            > was viewed, all to better fine tune my persona.) what are some good
            > links to go to, or books to look at???

            http://www.iz2.or.jp -- This is the Kyoto Costume Museum. It is in
            Japanese but they have an English site as well. They have some of the
            best costume idea resources.

            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com -- This is the site of Baron Edward of
            Effingham, aka Master Hiraizumi Tadanobu, OP, OL, etc. Not only is he a
            published author of several Japanese history books (and an rpg, IIRC), but
            he has a wonderful web site that is still growing.

            http://www.angelfire.com/on3/sanazami/ -- Nobumitsu's Toshokan is a good
            stop, although I don't know how much information it has at the moment or
            how up to date it is.

            There are other sites, but I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.
            You might want to check out Sansom's "A History of Japan" vol. 1 (to 1334)
            and vol. 2 (1334-1615).

            For a brief look, however:

            Jomon -- Early Japanese. You don't see much of what we think of as modern
            day Japanese culture at this time. Basically nomadic tribes of people
            living off of the land. The name comes from patterns (mon) made with
            rope on pottery that was made during this period.

            Yayoi -- Named for the district in Tokyo where evidence was first found.
            The Japanese imperial dynasty has its beginnings here, IIRC. Still,
            nothing like later periods. People have settled down and you see nuts as
            one of the main food sources. Trade is beginning with China.

            Kofun -- Named after the large burial mounds found near Nara, we see the
            beginnings of 'keiko' styled armour in Japan, which evolves into the yoroi
            of later periods.

            Asuka -- Here we really start to see the influence of Chinese dress. The
            ho, the mo, and other features of courtly dress.

            Nara -- At this point in time the Capital has settled in Nara. Buddhism
            hits Japan, and full scale assimilation of mainland habits is underway
            through China and Korea. The focus is on the nobles, with the warrior
            class still being rather low on the totem pole, as it were.

            Heian -- Beginning in the 8th Century, the capital is moved north, to
            'Heian-kyo', modern day Kyoto. The city is planned according to Chinese
            Geomancy, with a lot of numerology. This is a time of learning and
            sophistication, at first. Japanese poetry and prose really come into
            their own. The diaries (pillow books--named for where they were kept) of
            women such as 'Sei Shonagon' and the novel "The Tale of Genji" paint a
            picture of this era as a time of ritual, superstition, arts, and learning.
            However, the court grows insular and comes to neglect the outside
            world--even the edges of the capital become dishelved, overgrown, and fall
            into disrepair.

            Kamakura -- Towards the end of the Heian period, the warrior classes have
            risen to power, and a great struggle takes place between the houses of
            Taira and Minamoto--The Gempei wars. These are detailed in many texts,
            including the most famous, "Heike Monogatari" (The Tale of Heike). The
            Minamoto rise to power, and found the first shogunate in Kamakura.
            Kamakura is chosen to get away from the nobles and their over-indulgence
            which has made them weak. The bushi, or samurai, strip much of the
            ostentation from clothing and ceremonies, an the country is under martial
            law. This is the evolution of the Japanese warrior class, although they
            are still mainly horsed archers rather than swordsmen.

            Muromachi -- The Ashikaga shogunate wrests power away from the Hojo clan,
            with the pretense of empowering the Emperor once more, but then they take
            the power for themselves, setting up a capital in Heian-kyo, in the
            Muromachi district. The warrior class grows more opulent, and the
            Ashikaga allow themselves to be seduced by Heian-kyo. Meanwhile, samurai
            in the provinces slowly gain more local power. While the shoguns are
            building such monuments as Kinkakuji--the Gold Pavillion--local warlords
            in the provinces are carving out domains for themselves, becoming daimyo,
            or great names.

            Momoyama -- In the 15th Century, war breaks out again. Soon, the entire
            country is at war going into the 16th Century, and eventually the
            shogunate is deposed, leaving a power vacuum. This is a time of chaos,
            with wandering swordsmen and banditry. Much of what we think of as
            'samurai warfare' really evolves around this time. It is also when
            European contact becomes rather important. The Portugese landed in the
            late Muromachi, and soon all of the daimyo are looking for an edge from
            the 'Southern Barbarians'. The thing most sought after are the matchlock
            rifles, which change the face of battles in Japan. This is the time of
            Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu.

            Edo Period -- In 1600, Tokugawa Ieyasu's Eastern Army meets the Western
            Army of Toyotomi Hideyori's supporters, led by Ishida Mitsunari. With his
            victory, Tokugawa eventually becomes shogun, and starts an era of peace
            that lasts for over 2 centuries. This is where many martial arts trace
            back to, and much of what we think of as 'traditional Japanese' values.

            Hope that helps, some.

            > By the way thank you for your help, and I live in the Kingdon of
            > Atlantia.

            Ware mo!* I'm in Stierbach, mka the outskirts of Northern Virginia. If
            you are in the area, feel free to drop by--I live in Centreville and my
            home is open this coming Monday night for any and all things Asian, and
            I'll specifically be making sure to have materials on hand for a brief
            intro to Japanese garb.

            Otherwise, I'll be at Celtic Cattle Raids (although I'm looking to do Late
            Irish for the event, due to thematic elements), Kingdom Crusades, Sword
            and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom), Crown Tournament, Holiday Faire, and
            possibly 12th Night. I'm hoping to also make it to Dunn Carraig's
            Baronial Birthday, but I may have to send regrets depending on how my
            schedule works out in real life.

            -Ii

            *Me, too!

          • samuraiofshadows
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002

              > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),

              Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
              and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
              may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
              for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

              Takebayashi Genpachi
            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
                On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, samuraiofshadows wrote:

                > --- In sca-jml@y..., Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:
                >
                > > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),
                >
                > Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
                > and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
                > may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
                > for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

                Well, since Matsuyama-dono is hosting it, I suggest we talk to him; I'm
                sure he could help arrange something.

                -Ii
              • Mokurai
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 9, 2002
                  Greetings,

                  Cool idea! If someone wants to get the JML people together in one place, I'd
                  be happy to provide a spot. I'd like to have someone volunteer to be in
                  charge of it though, so I don't have to worry about it too much. I can offer
                  a large gazebo or tables in the hall... Perhaps reserved seating for the
                  feast at the Inn?

                  Let me know what you'd like to do.

                  - mokurai

                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 15, 2002
                    Unfortunately it looks as though Phillip and I will not be able to attend...turns out our Barony has a big demo that day and, as Baron & Baroness, we should be there.

                    I am really disappointed...I was really looking forward to being with you. Maybe next time.....

                    Kiri
                    > Sword and the Chrysanthemum (East Kingdom),

                    Just out of curiosity. Who on the list will be going to 'the Sword
                    and Chrysanthemum' event? Maybe we should make a time to meet so we
                    may greet each other in person.I've only met one other that I know
                    for certain. It would be nice to see everybody else.

                    Takebayashi Genpachi

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Anna
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 6, 2003
                      Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                      I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over here
                      in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                      I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                      preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                      high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have found
                      are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                      know.
                      -Anna
                    • Hina no Banpaia
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 6, 2003
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                        > Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                        > I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over
                        here
                        > in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                        > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase
                        geta,
                        > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with
                        narrow,
                        > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                        found
                        > are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                        > know.
                        > -Anna

                        You could always try contacting Jojo of http://www.karankoron.com/
                        and ask him about custom making them
                      • kujika@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2003
                          looking for geta try http://www.karankoron.com/

                        • Deborah K. Strub
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 8, 2003
                            Greetings,

                            I, too hail from the Kingdom of An Tir. I'm over here in Dragon's Laire
                            (across Puget Sound from Seattle). Where in An Tir are you from?
                            I found my geta many years ago at a thrift store. I believe Uwajimaya
                            carries them, or at least they used to. There are stores in Seattle and
                            Portland, Oregon.
                            I generally don't wear geta at outdoor tourneys here in An Tir. The
                            footing us usually too uneven to be safe. If I have to do a lot of running
                            around like field heraldry I wear chiga-tabi. They're out of period but are
                            more practical for me.

                            YIS,

                            Murakami Tsuruko

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 8, 2003
                              If you live near Seattle, you may try heading downtown to the International District
                              (roughly 5th and Jackson up to 11th and King), I have seen several pairs there for reasonable prices. Just avoid Uwajimaya, they tend to be tourist priced.

                              Anna <andrivete@...> wrote:
                              Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                              I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over here
                              in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                              I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                              preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                              high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have found
                              are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                              know.
                              -Anna

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 9, 2003
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                                > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                                > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                                > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                                found
                                > are Gakusei-ashida.

                                Haven't seen any of this particular style. I found a pair fairly
                                inexpensively at www.houserice.com

                                Welcome.
                                Makiwara no Yetsuko
                              • genevra1676
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 10, 2003
                                  Hi!!

                                  One problem I keep running into is that my feet are fairly small--
                                  less than 9"--but the smallest geta I've seen at an online store are
                                  9.5". I've heard that if anything geta & zori should be a little bit
                                  shorter than your feet so that your heel sticks over the edge a
                                  little. I have however found nice looking geta in my size on eBay,
                                  so you might want to check there too.

                                  Genevra

                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anna" <andrivete@k...> wrote:
                                  > Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the group.
                                  > I'm so excited to find a large group of Japanese SCAer's. Over
                                  here
                                  > in An Tir, there don't seem to be many.
                                  > I have a question: Does anyone know a good place to purchase geta,
                                  > preferraby online? I'm looking for a particular style with narrow,
                                  > high ha that are wider on the bottom. The closest style I have
                                  found
                                  > are Gakusei-ashida. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me
                                  > know.
                                  > -Anna
                                • Mark Grass
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 27 12:46 PM
                                    I am new to this list as it was just recommended
                                    to me. I currently do a Viking person but also have
                                    an interest in the Japanese culture. I know I'm
                                    interested primarily in the Kamakura period but
                                    the problem is I'm completely unable to find a list of
                                    Japanese names. At least that will give me
                                    meanings or some way to understand them. Any help at
                                    all in my research and development of a Japanese
                                    persona would be highly appreciated.
                                    Thank you
                                    Snaebjorn Haakonsson

                                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                  • Solveig
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 27 8:26 PM

                                      Greetings from Solveig! You can obtain a copy of

                                      Name Construction in Medieval Japan

                                      either by purchase from Potboiler Press at alban@...
                                      or from Free Trumpet Press West off of the college of arms
                                      web page reachable from http://www.sca.org or you can
                                      borrow it from a library via interlibrary loan.

                                      For those of you who doubt, NCMJ is currently at the printers.
                                      Honest.

                                    • Mark Grass
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 27 8:31 PM
                                        Thank you quite alot. I appreciate it. Have to ask my
                                        library if they have it around our system. Thanks
                                        again

                                        --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:
                                        > Noble Cousin!
                                        >
                                        > Greetings from Solveig! You can obtain a copy of
                                        >
                                        > Name Construction in Medieval Japan
                                        >
                                        > either by purchase from Potboiler Press at
                                        > alban@...
                                        > or from Free Trumpet Press West off of the college
                                        > of arms
                                        > web page reachable from http://www.sca.org or you
                                        > can
                                        > borrow it from a library via interlibrary loan.
                                        >
                                        > For those of you who doubt, NCMJ is currently at the
                                        > printers.
                                        > Honest.
                                        > --
                                        >
                                        > Your Humble Servant
                                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                                        > Amateur Scholar

                                        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig
                                        > Throndardottir, CoM, CoS |
                                        > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia
                                        > Statis Mentis Est |
                                        > | mailto:nostrand@... |
                                        > mailto:bnostran@... |

                                        > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are
                                        > automatically routed to |
                                        > | the trash by my email filters.

                                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                      • aurealfae
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
                                          Hiya, my handle's aureal til I get an SCA name, I have a
                                          Mongolian/Chinese persona as a base but wear almost anything as long
                                          as I think its pretty. However my SCA boyfriend loves Japan; he tries
                                          to act like he doesnt and says he wants to match my persona but I know
                                          him better.....
                                          I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been trying to do the
                                          research on my own, but as I delve more and more into it, I'm getting
                                          lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue as to what all the
                                          terminology is and what goes with what. I want his garb to
                                          look "right" -not perfect- but good enough that it doesnt look like I
                                          have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in some kind of
                                          direction? I need something basic, as I am a novice sewer, but really,
                                          really good looking. Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
                                        • John Doe
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                            well I recomend some sites for ya

                                            Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
                                            www.folkwear.com

                                            for kimono fabric and more go to
                                            http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.3html.htm

                                            Sato-San is the best if you like to get more information on kimono
                                            or any thing in japanese garb

                                            if you like Hein period costuming and textiles go to
                                            www.yusoku.com (japanese only)

                                            if you like Japanese kinran got to
                                            www.kinran-marukin.co.jp
                                            http://www.juho-tougei.com/ (japanese/english)
                                            they sell kinran by the yard

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

                                              > well I recomend some sites for ya
                                              >
                                              > Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
                                              > www.folkwear.com

                                              Folkwear's patterns are not, repeat NOT period patterns for SCA use.
                                              The dimensions are different from period garments. Why pay money for a
                                              pattern that you will have to change - and won't KNOW how to change
                                              unless you do your homework?

                                              as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
                                              men in there.

                                              For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
                                              http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm

                                              http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
                                              guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
                                              links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
                                              like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

                                              Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                                                > as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
                                                > men in there.
                                                >
                                                > For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
                                                > http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
                                                >
                                                > http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
                                                > guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
                                                > links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
                                                > like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

                                                Gah! I should not try to do this before running to work.

                                                The most basic generic Japanese outfit you can do consists of kosode
                                                and hakama. Ideally he should have two kosode (one acts as an
                                                undershirt), cut to about knee or calf length for wear under his
                                                hakama. He also needs an obi (sash) to close his kosode with. A
                                                kataginu or hitatare will dress it up somewhat. The good news is that
                                                everything you have to make is based on rectangles - it's almost all
                                                straight lines.

                                                NOW I can run to work.

                                                Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
                                              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
                                                  --- aurealfae <sanjaasuren.aureal@...> wrote:

                                                  > I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been
                                                  > trying to do the
                                                  > research on my own, but as I delve more and more
                                                  > into it, I'm getting
                                                  > lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue
                                                  > as to what all the
                                                  > terminology is and what goes with what.

                                                  Kyoto Costume Museum is a good place to get an idea of
                                                  what Japanese garb of various periods looks like.
                                                  http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

                                                  Hiraizumi-sensei's website is excellent
                                                  http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/index.html

                                                  There are several sites with excellent period basic
                                                  construction information available.
                                                  Saionji-hime's site:
                                                  http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
                                                  Koredono-dono's site:
                                                  http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
                                                  also:
                                                  http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm

                                                  There are PDF patterns for period men's clothes in the
                                                  Garb Files section:

                                                  Check the archives for other recommendations. This
                                                  type of question is asked regularly. Best wishes in
                                                  your endeavors.

                                                  Ki no Izumi

                                                  __________________________________
                                                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                                                • Sanjaasuren
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                                                    Thank you so much for all your help; all the information narrows it all down
                                                    and makes it easier for me to start- when i started looking through
                                                    everything the other day i just got lost- I had no clue what i was getting
                                                    into- so many different styles and layers, and no idea what all the stuff
                                                    was. Thank you because I know the question i asked has probably also been
                                                    overdone. Hopefully I can make something he and I will both be proud of!
                                                    aurealfae
                                                    --
                                                    If it's a question of whether to do what's fun or what is
                                                    supposed to be good for you, and nobody is hurt by which-

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005

                                                      Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                                                      males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                                                      in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                                                      talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                                                      something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                                                      in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                                                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > Noble Cousins!
                                                        >
                                                        > Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                                                        > males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                                                        > in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                                                        > talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                                                        > something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                                                        > in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                                                        My web page has instructions on how to construct obi and appropriate
                                                        pre-1600 dimensions. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

                                                        Apologies if any links are wonky, I've just moved to a new web host.