Re: Archery Gear

  • toshio
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      Date-tono,
      The word you are looking for is "mukabaki."
      There is a great picture at the following website:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou11/index.htm
      [The samurai also wears a cover of deer's summer skin called
      "mukabaki."] They appear to have their own himo as haidate, and
      similar fasteners on the leg right above the knee. One of my
      books by professor Turnbull shows the reverse side appearing
      as tanned leather.
      I hope this aids your research. Best wishes to most
      honorable fire squire,

      Yoshitomi Toshio, etc.
      Squire and Apprentice to only the best.

      --- In sca-jml@y..., "dateyukiie" <kabuto@c...> wrote:
      > Greetings to all on the list,
      > Can anyone tell me the japanese name of the lovely fur chaps worn
      with
      > some forms of kyudo and yabusame, and sometimes worn in period
      > hunting? Are they assempled like oversized haidate, with a seperate
      > himo or belt, or are they tucked into the uwa-obi? Do they have
      > fasteners that secure it around the lower leg?
      > Are they lined on the back side, or does the naked leather lay
      against
      > the hakama?
      > Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      > Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave
    • dateyukiie
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
        Tomodachi Toshio,
        Thank you for the info. I have since found much more info on
        mukabaki, and am confident that I can reproduce a pair with
        reasonable fidelity. I picked up a pair of matched furs at Pennsic
        that are the right critter, and adequately matched in coloration
        and patterning. It should go well with the dress shooting gear.
        Hijin (fire squire)
        Date
        We work only for the best, don't we?
        Semper Fi
        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave