Sword and Chrysanthemum Propaganda

  • mokurai
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
      Greetings everyone,

      We are starting to get reservations in for S&C - especially for the limited formal feast, so I decided now is the time to once more put out the word on the event. I wanted to give you fair warning to get your reservations in ASAP if you plan to attend. Also, I have a favor to ask. Some of you are my neighbors in AEthelmearc and Atlantia... would someone be willing to cross-post the event write-up to your respective kingdom lists for me? (I'm thinking of you, Ii-dono...). Perhaps the word is already out, but I want to make sure every Japanese persona within range knows about us! I have pasted in the event write-up below the dotted line.

      Domo arigato gozaimasu. I appreciate your assistance and interest.

      - mokurai

      PS - Still looking for teachers (I now have three confirmed and one possible). Kiri-dono, are you available? I'd love to have your art and architecture class there. I can guarantee you a good spot for viewing slides! ^_^

      Wrom: GYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHS
      See also: http://www.eisental.eastkingdom.org/events/swordnchrys/index.html

      The Sword and the Chrysanthemum

      A Japanese Event

      Sat, Oct 19, 2002

      Hosted by Shire of Eisental - Douglassville, PA

      Date: Saturday, October 19th, 2002
      Location: Camp Manatawny,
      33 Camp Rd., Douglassville, PA 19518 near Reading, PA
      Web: www.eisental.eastkingdom.org/events

      The winds of Autumn rustle the falling leaves in the garden. The slow change from the season of warmth to the season of death is upon us. Yet, the bold chrysanthemum is in full bloom reminding us of the transient beauty of this floating world. You are invited, most honored friend, to join the Shire of Eisental for our Festival of the Sword and the Chrysanthemum - a Japanese-themed event. Come contemplate beauty and life with us in elegant surroundings. Read poetry and sip tea. Or if you prefer, demonstrate your disdain for useless living by taking up your blade in honorable combat!

      Our activities for the day shall include: �The Samurai Challenge� � a shieldless rattan tournament; an amateur Sumo contest, Archery; Japanese-themed A&S display and classes; Asian board games; and Martial arts demonstrations including Iaido (Japanese swordsmanship) and Kyudo (Zen archery)!

      Hearty mid-day and evening buffet-style meals featuring Japanese cuisine will be provided in the Tokaido Road Inn. Dining space at the Inn will be mostly western tables and chairs with some floor space for Japanese-style seating. All our honored guests are encouraged to sample the buffet even if they wish to supplement their meals with gaijin foods (bread, cheese, and beef will not appear anywhere on the menu!). In addition there will be a 30-person formal feast in the Shinden (main hall) with floor seating, servers, and the finest food Japan had to offer before 1600. If you would like to entertain during either of the feasts, please contact the autocrat.

      Matsuri-bugyo (Autocrat): Lord Matsuyama Mokurai (Eric Munson), 112 4th St., Pennsburg, PA 18073, mokurai@..., (215)679-9552. Inquiries about food should be directed to the Toji-bugyo (Feastocrat), Mistress AnneLiese Wolkenhaar (Jennifer Munson) at munsonjn@....

      Fees: $10 Adult, $30 Adult with formal feast, $5 under 18, $25 under 18 with formal feast. **Take $2 off the price for each paid reservation postmarked by Oct 12!** To pre-register, please mail a check made out to "SCA, Inc-Shire of Eisental" to Gyszel Adler (Jennifer Trumbore) 418 Washington ST. Pennsburg, PA 18073. If you have questions or problems, call 215-679-6776.

      Due to Shogunal decree, No alcohol, pets, or smoking officially allowed on camp grounds. Merchants please contact the autocrat at mokurai@... and visit our web page for more infomation.

      Directions:

      From most points:

      Take your best route to the PA Turnpike, Downington Exit 312 (old exit 23). Take Rt. 100 North to Rt. 422 West. After 4.4 miles turn right on Rt. 662 North (Michael's Restaurant on far right). After 5 miles turn right onto Rt. 562 East (Yellow House Hotel on left). Go 0.8 miles and turn left on Camp Road.

      Alternate directions from the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike (I-476):
      From north or south take the Quakertown Exit 44 (old exit 32). Turn right onto Rt. 663 South. After 11.5 miles bear right onto 663 South/73 West (T-intersection) and continue on Rt. 73 after 663 breaks off. * Less than 1 mile after the junction with Rt. 100 turn left onto Rt. 562 West (National Bank of Boyertown on far right). Go 5.8 miles and turn right on Camp Road.

      Directions from I-78 and Rt. 22 in PA (direct but slightly slower):
      From the east or west (78 & 22 are same road at that point) take the Trexlertown/Rt. 100 Exit 49B (old exit 14B). Follow Rt. 100 South 22 miles to Boyertown. Turn right onto Rt. 73 and follow from * above.

      Event Website: www.eisental.eastkingdom.org/events

      At-a-Glance Event Information
      Site:
      Camp Manatawny
      33 Camp Road
      Douglassville, PA 19518
      Show me a map!

      Site Opens: 10:00 am
      Site Closes: 10:00 pm

      Event Fees:

      Site : Fees: $10 Adult, $30 Adult with formal feast, $5 under 18, $25 under 18 with formal feast. **Take $2 off the price for each paid reservation postmarked by Oct 12!**

      Send Reservations to:
      Gyszel Adeler (Jennifer Trumbore), 418 Washington St., Pennsburg, Pa 18073

      Autocrat:
      Lord Matsuyama Mokurai (Eric Munson), 112 4th St., Pennsburg, PA 18073, mokurai@..., (215)679-9552.

      Other Contact Information:
      Toji-bugyo (Feastocrat), Mistress AnneLiese Wolkenhaar (Jennifer Munson), 112 4th St., Pennsburg, PA 18073, munsonjn@..., (215)679-9552

      Make Checks Payable to: SCA, Inc - Shire of Eisental