Cotton in Heian period

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2002
      Hi, In the book "Shibori The Inventive Art of
      Japanese Shaped Resist Dying" ISBN 0-87011-559-6,
      starting on page 28, it talks about starting a new
      village which would become a cotton growing area
      "Cotton, which had been introduced into Japan early in
      the fifteenth century, was grown in Owari and
      presumably was being woven there by the early years of
      the seventeenth century, when Arimatsu was
      established". on page 275: "In Japan, silk and
      hemp (asa)(1) together with numerous bast fibers (2)
      were the textiles used until the introduction of
      cotton in the fourteenth century". "-----but cotton
      came late to China, where it was not cultivated until
      the twelfth century----Cotton fiber and yarn found
      their way to Japan and Korea in the fourteenth
      century. From China cotton cultivation spread to
      Korean.-----In the sixteenth century, Japanese pirates
      brought back cotton seeds from raids on the Korean
      coast". ETC, ETC, ETC. It has a little more. I can
      make up a good story with names of the captain of the
      pirate ship and the exact dates and the other stuff
      they brought back for those that need that kind of
      detail if you want me to. That is a joke, or is it?
      The Japanese were very good about creating fiber and
      weaving cloth from all types of plants found in there
      local area. I spin and weave washi paper, it is very
      strong when you use the correct washi paper.

      (1) asa - term for a variety of bast fibers - hemp,
      jute,flax,and other fibers.

      (2) bast fibers - woody plant fibers used to make
      rope, basketry and matting, textiles, and paper. The
      major Japanese bast fibers used for textiles until
      cotton became generally used in the late nineteenth
      century are: hemp, (Cannabis sativa), China grass,
      nettle, wistaria, and kudzu (arrowroot is NOT kudzu).

      The book has a large Bibliography

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      School of One
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • dateyukiie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2002
        Greetings to all on the list,
        Can anyone tell me the japanese name of the lovely fur chaps worn with
        some forms of kyudo and yabusame, and sometimes worn in period
        hunting? Are they assempled like oversized haidate, with a seperate
        himo or belt, or are they tucked into the uwa-obi? Do they have
        fasteners that secure it around the lower leg?
        Are they lined on the back side, or does the naked leather lay against
        the hakama?
        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave
      • toshio
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
          Date-tono,
          The word you are looking for is "mukabaki."
          There is a great picture at the following website:
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou11/index.htm
          [The samurai also wears a cover of deer's summer skin called
          "mukabaki."] They appear to have their own himo as haidate, and
          similar fasteners on the leg right above the knee. One of my
          books by professor Turnbull shows the reverse side appearing
          as tanned leather.
          I hope this aids your research. Best wishes to most
          honorable fire squire,

          Yoshitomi Toshio, etc.
          Squire and Apprentice to only the best.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
            Tomodachi Toshio,
            Thank you for the info. I have since found much more info on
            mukabaki, and am confident that I can reproduce a pair with
            reasonable fidelity. I picked up a pair of matched furs at Pennsic
            that are the right critter, and adequately matched in coloration
            and patterning. It should go well with the dress shooting gear.
            Hijin (fire squire)
            Date
            We work only for the best, don't we?
            Semper Fi
            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave