[SCA-JML] Re: Kendo gi and hakama

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 1999
      fsjlb4 wrote:

      > Gomen kudasai,
      >
      > I am curious as to how close the kendo gi and hakama of today are to the gi
      > and hakama of the samurai. Has this training costume changed considerably
      > between 1500 and modern day? I am not entirely familiar with the history of
      > kendo, or at least when it changed to a sport. Could anyone enlighten me
      > here? (The question arises from a quote on a kendo page that claims the gi
      > and hakama are exactly the same as those used by the samurai).

      About as close as baseball gear is to real clothing.

      Kendo stuff is sporting wear, not clothes. Historically, there *was* no special
      gear for "sport" or athletic endeavors.

      For one thing, no one wore a "gi." They wore either their regular clothing, or
      a special type of kimono like garment called a "yoroi shita" or "yoroi shitagi"
      (shitagi, here, of course, means "worn under") The shitagi had a small button
      at the collar (one of the few Japanese garments to use buttons) to help keep it
      closed, and had a self-belt (that is, it had a waist tie like a short obi made
      of the same cloth). It was about butt-length, and had shortish, close-fitted
      sleeves (compared to regular kimono). Most people, however, wore a normal
      kosode (kimono) under their armour. Generals and people with rank and money
      wore something called a yoroi hitatare, which is a matching hakama and over
      robe with big, puffy sleeves.

      Period hakama had several different types and patterns. The general difference
      is that they mostly didn't overlap the legs like they do now. (Look at a flat
      hakama. Notice how the folding over- and underlaps so that there's no way to
      tell where one leg ends and the next begins. In period, they were folded, but
      separate. Generally.) Another big difference is that the back panel is modern.
      It didn't exist in period.

      Kendo became a sport in the late 1800s.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 1999

        The emergence of kendo as a sport is generally attributed to Miyamoto
        Masana aka Musashi, but all of the currently extant schools are probably
        more recent than that. One of the features of the Arts Scene under the
        Tokugawa Bakufu was that in order to practice and teach an art you had
        to demonstrate a number of things including antiquity, legitimate
        transmission, an artistic theory and a secret tradition.

        | techie.com |