Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Re: armour making too

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
      On the whole steel vs. iron debate, we need to go right to the source:
      Japanese armourers.

      Sakakibara Kozan says this: "The method of forgin armour plates must first
      be considered. A plate should consist of an outer surface of steel and an
      inner of iron, the former being half the thickness of the latter. ...
      Disused hoes and spades afford the best inner iron for plates. Any steel
      remaining at the edge of the implement is stripped off and the part that
      remains, being very flexible, must be folded and forged for its new
      purpose."

      Kozane, however, were apparently primarily iron or leather, not steel.