Re: Boring iron stuff

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23 8:52 PM
      Compositions:
      Wrought iron: 0% carbon
      Steel: .1-1.5% carbon
      Cast iron: 2.5%+ carbon

      Iron was made by heating up the ore hot enough to basically soften then
      the resulting bloom was beaten to compact it and get rid of impurities.
      If it got too hot, unlikely before blast furnaces, you got cast iron
      which was not useful for most purposes. As mentioned earlier the first
      methods of steel making were introducing carbon into wrought iron by
      baking it for several days at about 1000 degrees F. Ther first real
      innovation on this process came in about 1740 with the introduction of
      crucible steel, a technique that takes the steel from the first process
      and refines it further. This is still not a very productive process,
      mass steel production then starts with the widespread introduction of
      the Bessemer process, which was partially use in minor ways in the 17th
      century but really takes off in the mid-1850's, steel starts out at 2%
      of wrought iron production and skyrockets. Every once in a while a
      factory in Europe will make some wrought iron for the few people who
      still use it, but now steel is king!

      Rough Timeline
      ~???? BC - iron in use
      ~1200 BC - steel in use
      ~600 BC - China uses cast iron for tools, 1400 AD for Europe!
      ~1400 AD - Europe begins the use of blast furnaces, more productive
      ~1700 AD - Coal in use as fuel, up till now everyone uses charcoal,
      which limits how fast iron can be made since you have burn forests to
      supply a foundry
      1784 AD - Puddling furnace introduced, more productive
      - AD - What can I say? how many TONS! of steel do you own

      Sorry for boring everyone...

      Jim Eckman
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24 6:13 AM
        On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:

        > Rough Timeline
        > ~???? BC - iron in use
        > ~1200 BC - steel in use
        > ~600 BC - China uses cast iron for tools, 1400 AD for Europe!
        > ~1400 AD - Europe begins the use of blast furnaces, more productive
        > ~1700 AD - Coal in use as fuel, up till now everyone uses charcoal,
        > which limits how fast iron can be made since you have burn forests to
        > supply a foundry
        > 1784 AD - Puddling furnace introduced, more productive
        > - AD - What can I say? how many TONS! of steel do you own
        >
        > Sorry for boring everyone...

        This is actually rather fascinating. It has enlightened me on certain
        subjects, that's for sure.