Re: [SCA-JML] Re: armour making too

  • Zach Schneider
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 21, 2002
      You should be able to find a sheet of 16 guage steel, whether hot rolled or
      cold rolled for about 35 bucks and is 4 feet by 8 feet.
      Yoshida Takezo
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
        > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
        > From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
        > Subject: Re: armour making too

        > Here's why I like steel armor: it's period!

        I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
        of steel until the industrial revolution.

        > So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
        > which are still in use, except for the haidate):
        >
        > hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)

        <snip>

        Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel? One wacky
        idea that I'm going to suggest is to use high carbon steel plates that
        are tempered. I've used various scraps from the steel banding that they
        use to wrap and secure crates for woodworking tools, it's a tough spring
        steel which will probably have to be bent instead of cut and have the
        edges ground smooth and rounded. Unlikely to be bent or dented! This is
        even less period in one sense!

        Good luck
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
          On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:

          > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
          > of steel until the industrial revolution.

          ??

          You see a log of lacquered leather, but also a lot of steel in later
          period armour. I'll look up sources if you would like--why would you say
          that it would have to wait until the industrial revolution? They
          obviously knew how to make it, although mass producing it for everything
          we use it in (cars, homes, etc.) was beyond their reach.

          -Ii
        • dateyukiie
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
            Greetings to all on the list, and especially thos I finally met either
            on the battlefield or in private at Pennsic from Yama Kaminari no Date
            Saburou Yukiie;
            I fight heavy weapons alot.
            I would like to submit that I have had a sengoku jidai style nimai do
            since just before the Gulf War that I made entirely out of 16ga cold
            rold mild steel. It is laced in the kebiki style, which absorbs an
            awfull lot of the impact. I have had to minorly straighten out
            slightly bent sode, and have had to repair edge lacing, but have never
            had to entirely relace the harness. My kabuto is also ga cold rolled,
            and the shikoro is laced kebiki. Minor reforming on the shikoro, but
            no structural problems with the hachi (bowl).
            I wear haidate made of the same material over a close quilted fabric
            base, and only suffer bruises in the inside of the leg, if I get hit
            there. My somen is 16ga cold rolled, and has multiple compound curves
            built into it, which add to the rigidity. It has never so much as been
            dented, although I have taken numerous hits to the face.
            With a smile, I suggest that a good kinetic defence will help protect
            your armor, and your body, but I have never had any real problems with
            the mechanical functionality of the steel.
            I would also like to thank those who posed for pics for my web pages.
            They can be found if you follow the links marked "other projects" on
            the www.kabutographics pages and aim towards the Knowne World Samurai
            pages.
            Thanks also to Yumi for his wonderful demos of kyudo, and his sage
            advice with regards to period archery.
            respects to all...
            Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie
            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave

          • elsyr@attbi.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
              Of course, if you wanted to be _really_ period about
              your armor construction materials (especially for
              munitions grade armor), you could go around to garage
              sales and pick up old rakes, shovels, and various other
              implements of destruction and cut your iozane out of
              those. :-)

              Sumiyori
              > > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
              > > From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
              > > Subject: Re: armour making too
              >

              > > Here's why I like steel armor: it's period!
              >

              > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
              > of steel until the industrial revolution.
              >
              > > So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
              > > which are still in use, except for the haidate):
              > >
              > > hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)
              >
              > <snip>
              >
              > Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel? One wacky
              > idea that I'm going to suggest is to use high carbon steel plates that
              > are tempered. I've used various scraps from the steel banding that they
              > use to wrap and secure crates for woodworking tools, it's a tough spring
              > steel which will probably have to be bent instead of cut and have the
              > edges ground smooth and rounded. Unlikely to be bent or dented! This is
              > even less period in one sense!
              >
              > Good luck

            • Ash Smith
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                While it is true that steel was not mass produced untill the industrial
                revolution, swords and armor have been steel for as long as we've been
                working iron in a forge.
                Steel = Iron+Carbon
                Swords and armor are made from iron worked over a flame... usually coal.
                Anyway, the fuel put carbon into the iron.
                Now, it's not high carbon steel or anything, but armor and most definately
                swords were steel... and no longer iron.

                Iron would not work very well for armor or swords... it won't hold an edge,
                and it's relatively brittle... plus it'd be hard to get it into shape
                without using a forge... which would then make it steel.

                Humbly,
                Ash
              • lost90804
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                  > On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:
                  >
                  > > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great
                  quantity
                  > > of steel until the industrial revolution.
                  >
                  > ??
                  >
                  > You see a log of lacquered leather, but also a lot of steel in later
                  > period armour. I'll look up sources if you would like--why would
                  you say
                  > that it would have to wait until the industrial revolution?

                  Lords may have steel armor, but I'm sure the grunts used iron. Before
                  the newer style furnaces, making steel was a very laborious process
                  that wasn't very productive and required a great deal of fuel.

                  If you know some percentages, it would be very interesting. Also was
                  it steel or was it case hardened? Turning a thin layer into steel. A
                  process still in use for things like Pinto crankshafts ;)

                  They
                  > obviously knew how to make it, although mass producing it for
                  everything
                  > we use it in (cars, homes, etc.) was beyond their reach.

                  Mass production in the West didn't come about until fairly recently as
                  well. It's not like the Japanese were backward in this respect, most
                  people were using similar processes in period.

                  Jim Eckman
                • lost90804
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                    --- In sca-jml@y..., "Ash Smith" <chronoknight@m...> wrote:

                    > While it is true that steel was not mass produced untill the industrial
                    > revolution, swords and armor have been steel for as long as we've been
                    > working iron in a forge.
                    > Steel = Iron+Carbon

                    Depends on how the carbon is dispersed. Iron can have carbon nodules
                    in large numbers. For it to be steel, the carbon and iron atoms have
                    to link. Usually in the old days this meant packing iron in an
                    airtight container with a carbon source (like hoof parings) and
                    cooking it for a day or two at high temperatures. There are other
                    period methods, none of them are fast nor do they produce any great
                    quantities. People with money could have steel, it's just not very common.

                    > Swords and armor are made from iron worked over a flame... usually coal.
                    > Anyway, the fuel put carbon into the iron.
                    > Now, it's not high carbon steel or anything, but armor and most
                    definately
                    > swords were steel... and no longer iron.

                    > Iron would not work very well for armor or swords... it won't hold
                    an edge,
                    > and it's relatively brittle... plus it'd be hard to get it into shape
                    > without using a forge... which would then make it steel.

                    It would make poor swords, but there probably were poor swords for the
                    average ashigaru. Wrought iron which is the vast majority of metal
                    items in period is not brittle, it works and welds in a forge easier
                    than steel does and is far more corrosion resistant than steel. Cast
                    iron has totally different characteristics, it can be brittle, it
                    can't be forged or welded, etc. It was quite common, (indeed I own
                    some) for tools to be wrought iron except for a tiny piece of steel
                    forge welded on as a cutting edge. The more expensive Japanese chisels
                    are still made this way!

                    Yours,
                    Jim Eckman
                  • Susan and Frank Downs
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                      Quoth James Eckman <FUGU@...>:

                      > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                      > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                      It's very clear that by my period (late Momoyama) Large quantities of steel
                      were very common. I don't really know when that came about, but I suspect
                      it involved European influence. My understanding is that before this was
                      possible they used steel from "old rakes, shovels, and various other
                      implements of destruction," to quote Sumiyori, and especially from old, worn
                      out saw blades and files to make kozane. Clearly, extremely high quality
                      steel goes way back in Japanese history, but it also seems clear that
                      quantites and particularly sizes of pieces were limited (as Ii mentioned).
                      I'll admit that this baffles me, but I'm no student of industrial history.

                      Further quoting:

                      > Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel?

                      Glad you liked the table; yes, it was all cold-rolled mild steel as I
                      recall. Your suggestion seems interesting and even more period in the sense
                      of reusing materials. I gather, though, that you're talking about making
                      kosane to be laced together, and I was refering to a two-piece hotoke do
                      (solid breast and back plates hinged together).

                      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie mentioned:

                      > I fight heavy weapons alot.
                      > I would like to submit that I have had a sengoku jidai style nimai do
                      > since just before the Gulf War that I made entirely out of 16ga cold
                      > rold mild steel. It is laced in the kebiki style, which absorbs an
                      > awfull lot of the impact. I have had to minorly straighten out
                      > slightly bent sode, and have had to repair edge lacing, but have never
                      > had to entirely relace the harness.

                      and:

                      > With a smile, I suggest that a good kinetic defence will help protect
                      > your armor, and your body, but I have never had any real problems with
                      > the mechanical functionality of the steel.

                      I congratulate you on the durability of your armor and the skill of your
                      defense. I would like to point out that I was talking about 18 years of
                      use. I have noticed that after about 5 years of fighting my laces are much
                      more drably colored, and many have begun to fray and break (I'm estimating
                      here, but it feels like about five years; of course it depends on many other
                      factors, like how often my "dead" body is dragged through muddy fields and
                      whether or not I'm in a royal guard. Both those events seem to cause me to
                      relace sooner).

                      If your kinetic defense adequately protects your armor in a bridge battle,
                      or even a hot and heavy field battle, I'm frankly impressed. I know mine
                      doesn't, but then I sometimes enjoy going out in a suicidal blaze of, if not
                      glory, at least foolhardiness. The gaijin seem to enjoy it! ;)

                      --
                      Takenoshita Naro
                      Frank Downs
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                        --- In sca-jml@y..., Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@p...> wrote:
                        > Quoth James Eckman <FUGU@p...>:
                        >
                        > It's very clear that by my period (late Momoyama) Large quantities
                        of steel
                        > were very common.

                        I suspect most of that is iron, not steel.

                        > I don't really know when that came about, but I suspect
                        > it involved European influence.

                        Europeans don't have any decent methods to mass produce steel in this
                        period either. I can bore everyone with a timeline when I get home to
                        some reference works. There is steel, just not lots of it and it's
                        very pricy because you need lots of fuel to make it compared to
                        wrought iron.

                        My understanding is that before this was
                        > possible they used steel from "old rakes, shovels, and various other
                        > implements of destruction," to quote Sumiyori, and especially from
                        old, worn
                        > out saw blades and files to make kozane.

                        ??? Reuse of iron was very extensive. I suspect old steel was reused
                        for smaller tools until it virtually disappeared from wear as was the
                        case in the US until recently.

                        > I'll admit that this baffles me, but I'm no student of industrial
                        history.

                        I'm a bit of an otaku on the subject, I'm also an engineer by trade.

                        >I gather, though, that you're talking about making
                        > kosane to be laced together, and I was refering to a two-piece hotoke do
                        > (solid breast and back plates hinged together).

                        I suspect buying a piece of high carbon steel that large would be
                        quite a bit more expensive than mild steel! Yes I was thinking of
                        smaller scales and plates since the largest stuff I see tossed away is
                        about 1 1/2" wide. The price is right!

                        Jim Eckman
                      • Ii Saburou
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                          On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, lost90804 wrote:

                          > It would make poor swords, but there probably were poor swords for the
                          > average ashigaru. Wrought iron which is the vast majority of metal
                          > items in period is not brittle, it works and welds in a forge easier
                          > than steel does and is far more corrosion resistant than steel. Cast
                          > iron has totally different characteristics, it can be brittle, it
                          > can't be forged or welded, etc. It was quite common, (indeed I own
                          > some) for tools to be wrought iron except for a tiny piece of steel
                          > forge welded on as a cutting edge. The more expensive Japanese chisels
                          > are still made this way!

                          Okay, I finally got a chance to delve into my books. Stephen Turnbull
                          mentions that armour was either 'leather or iron', with an obvious
                          tendancy for metal later in period. I don't see any reference to steel
                          being using in the armour, only in the weapons; I do see plenty of
                          references to the iron armour and iron scales. Thus, I have to agree with
                          you that most armour appears to have been iron, rather than specifically
                          steel. (I'm not sure if this is true in Europe as well)

                          However, steel seems to work very well for our purposes. Does anyone know
                          if you can get iron to use to make the plates? I would be very interested
                          in what light more research might shed on this.

                          -Ii
                        • Arthur Raymond
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                            I'll put in my 2 koku for aluminum. Its light and strong, plus a little thicker than steel, so it makes a nice built up effect without any work.

                            Togashi Ichiro
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                              > From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>

                              > However, steel seems to work very well for our purposes. Does anyone
                              > know if you can get iron to use to make the plates? I would be very
                              > interested in what light more research might shed on this.

                              Finding wrought iron is a bit difficult, the Japanese toolmakers
                              mentioned earlier salvage pre-1890s anchor chain for theirs while I've
                              heard rumours that a mill in Europe makes small batches every once in a
                              while for speciality markets. Old buildings can be a source as well as
                              old artifacts, most of which are approaching or have obtained
                              collecter's status since they are over 100 years old.

                              Here's one supplier, the web's a great thing!
                              http://www.realwroughtiron.com/
                              Includes a nice history and explanation of wrought iron.

                              Jim Eckman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                On the whole steel vs. iron debate, we need to go right to the source:
                                Japanese armourers.

                                Sakakibara Kozan says this: "The method of forgin armour plates must first
                                be considered. A plate should consist of an outer surface of steel and an
                                inner of iron, the former being half the thickness of the latter. ...
                                Disused hoes and spades afford the best inner iron for plates. Any steel
                                remaining at the edge of the implement is stripped off and the part that
                                remains, being very flexible, must be folded and forged for its new
                                purpose."

                                Kozane, however, were apparently primarily iron or leather, not steel.