Pennsic Classes

  • Colban Silver
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
      Ii,

      Please send me the information about the classes you taught at pennsic.
      Domo arigatou.

      Tomomitsu

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=900187853
        Legit?
        Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 22, 2002
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=900187853
          > Legit?
          > Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

          Well, it is legitimately a piece of steel ^_^
          However, there us no signature, no traditional wrappings, the "tang" looks
          to be welded onto the blade, as does the tsuba (guard piece). The blade is
          covered with blemishes, there are 3 mekugi-ana (post holes), etc, etc.
          It's not worth much, however it is 5ft long, which means it is technically a
          "nodachi". Which I've been trying to find a replica of, but this one looks
          like one of the mass produced tourist trap swords from the late 40s and 50s.
          I had found a website that sold replica nodachi... but the month later their
          site was gone and their number disconnecte heh. :/
          You can bet that there is no hamon... hidden or otherwise. The only thing
          "samurai sword" about this is it's shape.
          As far as this sword goes, you would be better off having a machine shop or
          a person you know cut some steel stock into the shape of a katana.
          I, personally, would not pay more than $50 for this, including shipping.

          If I sound demeanative, please don't take it personally, it just frustraits
          me when companies/people post stuff like this as "samurai sword" and etc. :(
          It is folks like that who make the whole business of collecting or even
          admiring geniune samurai swords a difficault one.

          I recently had the honor to hold and SWING a genuine Nagamitsu (though I do
          not recall now if it was the original Nagamitsu, or his son's, either way
          very nice) blade that a friend of mine ackwired... and my goodness, the
          balance as a cutting blade is outstanding... makes my blades look like
          butter knives... then he put it back into his air tightened vault hehe.

          Humbly,
          Ash
        • Minamoto no Taikawa Saiaiko
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 22, 2004
            I will definitely be at the Samurai Chef class, it sounds yummy!
            (Please excuse me though, the image of John Belushi with a katana
            keeps popping up in my brain.) ;)

            Since we are talking about classes, I would like to throw my two
            cents in about Pennsic education this summer:

            In honor of the art of warfare, my fellow presenters and I are
            offering a demonstration on the techniques of prisoner restraint in
            medieval Japan.

            Title of Class- Hojojutsu: Prisoner Restraint in Medieval Japan
            Description- A demonstration of period prisoner restraint, including
            different levels of severity, binding as torture for interrogation,
            and the social ramifications of captivity.

            I hope to present this class on the Monday or Tuesday of War Week in
            the evening. It has been a great deal of fun researching and
            putting this class together, and I hope many of you will come and
            share our enthusiasm!

            ~ Minamoto no Taikawa