Re: [SCA-JML] Calling for Teachers

  • ipsley1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
      In a message dated 8/21/02 2:27:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
      mokurai@... writes:

      > BlankGreetings all,
      >
      > I hope that everyone on the list who made it to Pennsic had a great time and
      > returned safely. Now that I am home, my thoughts are turning back to
      > preparations for The Sword and the Chrysanthemum. One of the things I am
      > working on is lining up classes and demos. If anyone out there is thinking
      > of attending the event and would like to consider sharing your knowledge of
      > things Japanese, please write me. I can offer you an interested audience and
      > pleasant surroundings in which to teach.
      >
      > Domo!
      >
      > - mokurai

      Nishio Jiro to Mokurai, greetings,
      I too am back from Pennsic, where I greatly enjoyed the costume class given
      Wednesday night. Unfortunately, Pennsic more or less exhausted my vacation
      time. However, this points up a frequent problem--too often we prepare
      classes, good ones, investing a substantial amount of time and effort, and if
      twenty people see them, we're considered a success. I wonder if the teachers
      for your event might consider putting the class notes where they can be seen
      by people who could hitherto only shout encouragement from across the
      continent. Your site comes to mind, or perhaps the Kingdom A & S page.

    • shadow4549
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
        Ohayo,
        I agree with this. As I am in Artemesia and a college student at the
        present time getting to events such as this is a hopeful dream. I
        wish it was easier to find notes from classes on Japanese things
        were easier to find. Nothing beats being there in person but being
        able to get the notes when you are unable to attend would be a very
        useful thing.
        Kuro

        --- In sca-jml@y..., ipsley1@a... wrote:
        > > Nishio Jiro to Mokurai, greetings,
        > I too am back from Pennsic, where I greatly enjoyed the costume
        class given
        > Wednesday night. Unfortunately, Pennsic more or less exhausted my
        vacation
        > time. However, this points up a frequent problem--too often we
        prepare
        > classes, good ones, investing a substantial amount of time and
        effort, and if
        > twenty people see them, we're considered a success. I wonder if
        the teachers
        > for your event might consider putting the class notes where they
        can be seen
        > by people who could hitherto only shout encouragement from across
        the
        > continent. Your site comes to mind, or perhaps the Kingdom A & S
        page.

      • Mokurai
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2002
          Greetings,

          I agree with you both, but I think that this is a decision that has to be
          left to the individual instructor. I have met several over the years and
          most are interested in sharing their information in this manner since it
          helps their cause. On the other hand, some worry about control over material
          that they have copyrighted. For my own part, I would have no problem posting
          class handouts or similar info on my, or the event's website after the
          event--or a link to the instructor's site (which seems more likely). I'll
          ask each instructor if they are willing to participate in this.

          Of course, right now I only have TWO volunteers to teach, so it may be slim
          pickings...

          - mokurai