Calling for Teachers

  • Mokurai
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
      BlankGreetings all,

      I hope that everyone on the list who made it to Pennsic had a great time and
      returned safely. Now that I am home, my thoughts are turning back to
      preparations for The Sword and the Chrysanthemum. One of the things I am
      working on is lining up classes and demos. If anyone out there is thinking
      of attending the event and would like to consider sharing your knowledge of
      things Japanese, please write me. I can offer you an interested audience and
      pleasant surroundings in which to teach.

      Domo!

      - mokurai
      mokurai@...
      http://www.eisental.eastkingdom.org/events/swordnchrys/index.html

    • ipsley1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
        In a message dated 8/21/02 2:27:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
        mokurai@... writes:

        > BlankGreetings all,
        >
        > I hope that everyone on the list who made it to Pennsic had a great time and
        > returned safely. Now that I am home, my thoughts are turning back to
        > preparations for The Sword and the Chrysanthemum. One of the things I am
        > working on is lining up classes and demos. If anyone out there is thinking
        > of attending the event and would like to consider sharing your knowledge of
        > things Japanese, please write me. I can offer you an interested audience and
        > pleasant surroundings in which to teach.
        >
        > Domo!
        >
        > - mokurai

        Nishio Jiro to Mokurai, greetings,
        I too am back from Pennsic, where I greatly enjoyed the costume class given
        Wednesday night. Unfortunately, Pennsic more or less exhausted my vacation
        time. However, this points up a frequent problem--too often we prepare
        classes, good ones, investing a substantial amount of time and effort, and if
        twenty people see them, we're considered a success. I wonder if the teachers
        for your event might consider putting the class notes where they can be seen
        by people who could hitherto only shout encouragement from across the
        continent. Your site comes to mind, or perhaps the Kingdom A & S page.

      • shadow4549
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2002
          Ohayo,
          I agree with this. As I am in Artemesia and a college student at the
          present time getting to events such as this is a hopeful dream. I
          wish it was easier to find notes from classes on Japanese things
          were easier to find. Nothing beats being there in person but being
          able to get the notes when you are unable to attend would be a very
          useful thing.
          Kuro

          --- In sca-jml@y..., ipsley1@a... wrote:
          > > Nishio Jiro to Mokurai, greetings,
          > I too am back from Pennsic, where I greatly enjoyed the costume
          class given
          > Wednesday night. Unfortunately, Pennsic more or less exhausted my
          vacation
          > time. However, this points up a frequent problem--too often we
          prepare
          > classes, good ones, investing a substantial amount of time and
          effort, and if
          > twenty people see them, we're considered a success. I wonder if
          the teachers
          > for your event might consider putting the class notes where they
          can be seen
          > by people who could hitherto only shout encouragement from across
          the
          > continent. Your site comes to mind, or perhaps the Kingdom A & S
          page.

        • Mokurai
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2002
            Greetings,

            I agree with you both, but I think that this is a decision that has to be
            left to the individual instructor. I have met several over the years and
            most are interested in sharing their information in this manner since it
            helps their cause. On the other hand, some worry about control over material
            that they have copyrighted. For my own part, I would have no problem posting
            class handouts or similar info on my, or the event's website after the
            event--or a link to the instructor's site (which seems more likely). I'll
            ask each instructor if they are willing to participate in this.

            Of course, right now I only have TWO volunteers to teach, so it may be slim
            pickings...

            - mokurai