Re: armour making too

  • Douglas Shannon
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 21, 2002
      > From: "Douglas Shannon" <Professor03@...>
      >Subject: Re: armour making too
      >
      >I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but want
      >to avoid plastic if I can.
      >
      >Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be used
      >as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use steel?

      Thanks to one and all who offered advice, it's truely appreciated!

      Now I need to find someplace to buy steel plate for relatively cheap in the
      New York Metro area...

      Sylvester Burchardt
      East Kingdom

    • Susan and Frank Downs
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 21, 2002
        > Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:12:33 -0400
        > From: "Douglas Shannon" <Professor03@...>
        > Subject: Re: armour making too
        >
        > I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but want
        > to avoid plastic if I can.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be used
        > as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use steel?
        >
        > Sylvester Burchardt
        > East Kingdom

        Greetings to all,

        Here's why I like steel armor: it's period! When I made my hotoke-do
        eighteen years ago I used fourteen gauge mild steel for the front, because
        it's what we happened to have a big chunk of lying around the armory, and I
        may have made a bit of a mistake. But eighteen years later, I still have
        that same do. I have still had to pound a few creases out of it, and I've
        had to play with how it's strapped and hinged (neither entirely period, I'm
        sorry to say, I've just resorted to strips of leather), but it's the same
        metal. It desperately needs repainting and relacing (not the first times, I
        assure you), but it may even have saved my life one time when I was charging
        in a woods battle, tripped and fell on a pointy root that was sticking
        straight out of the ground like a pungee stake aimed right at my heart.

        So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
        which are still in use, except for the haidate):

        hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)
        shikoro 16 ga. (gets bent, has to be straightened)
        sode 14 ga. (wouldn't change, works great)
        do (front) 14 ga.
        do (back) 16 ga. (some dents, but works well)
        kote 14 ga. (heavy, but I like them)
        kusazori 16 ga. (protect well -- I've taken pole arm crotch thrusts --
        but tear up the haidate; I'd like to try leather)
        haidate 18 ga. (a mistake, I've since gone to leather)
        suneate (knee) 14 ga. (good)
        suneate (shin) 18 ga. (a surprisingly good choice; they've taken shots and
        sprung right back)

        Yes, my armor is very heavy, but it's well distributed and I'm a pretty
        heavily built guy, so it doesn't bother me. A whole lot depends on what you
        can take and what you're willing to put up with. Steel armor needs
        repainting and it shows that pretty quickly -- it doesn't keep that factory
        showroom finish the way plastic seems to. My armor is very hard on its
        laces and fabric components. There may be some tricks to getting laces to
        last, something to do with the painting or really filing out each hole, but
        I don't know them. The biggest change I would make is some kind of very
        stiff heavy leather kusazori, because those metal ones swinging around
        really tear up the cloth part of the haidate and go through a lot of laces
        (They sound great though, and provide real peace of mind when those
        inevitable crotch thrusts come your way).

        Good luck!
        --
        Takenoshita Naro
        Marinus, Atlantia

        Frank Downs
        Chesapeake, Virginia
      • Zach Schneider
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 21, 2002
          You should be able to find a sheet of 16 guage steel, whether hot rolled or
          cold rolled for about 35 bucks and is 4 feet by 8 feet.
          Yoshida Takezo
          > >I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but
          want
          > >to avoid plastic if I can.
          > >
          > >Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be
          used
          > >as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use
          steel?

          > Thanks to one and all who offered advice, it's truely appreciated!
          >
          > Now I need to find someplace to buy steel plate for relatively cheap in
          the
          > New York Metro area...
          >
          > Sylvester Burchardt
          > East Kingdom

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
            > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
            > From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
            > Subject: Re: armour making too

            > Here's why I like steel armor: it's period!

            I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
            of steel until the industrial revolution.

            > So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
            > which are still in use, except for the haidate):
            >
            > hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)

            <snip>

            Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel? One wacky
            idea that I'm going to suggest is to use high carbon steel plates that
            are tempered. I've used various scraps from the steel banding that they
            use to wrap and secure crates for woodworking tools, it's a tough spring
            steel which will probably have to be bent instead of cut and have the
            edges ground smooth and rounded. Unlikely to be bent or dented! This is
            even less period in one sense!

            Good luck
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
              On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:

              > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
              > of steel until the industrial revolution.

              ??

              You see a log of lacquered leather, but also a lot of steel in later
              period armour. I'll look up sources if you would like--why would you say
              that it would have to wait until the industrial revolution? They
              obviously knew how to make it, although mass producing it for everything
              we use it in (cars, homes, etc.) was beyond their reach.

              -Ii
            • dateyukiie
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                Greetings to all on the list, and especially thos I finally met either
                on the battlefield or in private at Pennsic from Yama Kaminari no Date
                Saburou Yukiie;
                I fight heavy weapons alot.
                I would like to submit that I have had a sengoku jidai style nimai do
                since just before the Gulf War that I made entirely out of 16ga cold
                rold mild steel. It is laced in the kebiki style, which absorbs an
                awfull lot of the impact. I have had to minorly straighten out
                slightly bent sode, and have had to repair edge lacing, but have never
                had to entirely relace the harness. My kabuto is also ga cold rolled,
                and the shikoro is laced kebiki. Minor reforming on the shikoro, but
                no structural problems with the hachi (bowl).
                I wear haidate made of the same material over a close quilted fabric
                base, and only suffer bruises in the inside of the leg, if I get hit
                there. My somen is 16ga cold rolled, and has multiple compound curves
                built into it, which add to the rigidity. It has never so much as been
                dented, although I have taken numerous hits to the face.
                With a smile, I suggest that a good kinetic defence will help protect
                your armor, and your body, but I have never had any real problems with
                the mechanical functionality of the steel.
                I would also like to thank those who posed for pics for my web pages.
                They can be found if you follow the links marked "other projects" on
                the www.kabutographics pages and aim towards the Knowne World Samurai
                pages.
                Thanks also to Yumi for his wonderful demos of kyudo, and his sage
                advice with regards to period archery.
                respects to all...
                Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie
                Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave

              • elsyr@attbi.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                  Of course, if you wanted to be _really_ period about
                  your armor construction materials (especially for
                  munitions grade armor), you could go around to garage
                  sales and pick up old rakes, shovels, and various other
                  implements of destruction and cut your iozane out of
                  those. :-)

                  Sumiyori
                  > > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
                  > > From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
                  > > Subject: Re: armour making too
                  >

                  > > Here's why I like steel armor: it's period!
                  >

                  > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                  > of steel until the industrial revolution.
                  >
                  > > So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
                  > > which are still in use, except for the haidate):
                  > >
                  > > hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)
                  >
                  > <snip>
                  >
                  > Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel? One wacky
                  > idea that I'm going to suggest is to use high carbon steel plates that
                  > are tempered. I've used various scraps from the steel banding that they
                  > use to wrap and secure crates for woodworking tools, it's a tough spring
                  > steel which will probably have to be bent instead of cut and have the
                  > edges ground smooth and rounded. Unlikely to be bent or dented! This is
                  > even less period in one sense!
                  >
                  > Good luck

                • Ash Smith
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                    > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                    > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                    While it is true that steel was not mass produced untill the industrial
                    revolution, swords and armor have been steel for as long as we've been
                    working iron in a forge.
                    Steel = Iron+Carbon
                    Swords and armor are made from iron worked over a flame... usually coal.
                    Anyway, the fuel put carbon into the iron.
                    Now, it's not high carbon steel or anything, but armor and most definately
                    swords were steel... and no longer iron.

                    Iron would not work very well for armor or swords... it won't hold an edge,
                    and it's relatively brittle... plus it'd be hard to get it into shape
                    without using a forge... which would then make it steel.

                    Humbly,
                    Ash
                  • lost90804
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                      > On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:
                      >
                      > > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great
                      quantity
                      > > of steel until the industrial revolution.
                      >
                      > ??
                      >
                      > You see a log of lacquered leather, but also a lot of steel in later
                      > period armour. I'll look up sources if you would like--why would
                      you say
                      > that it would have to wait until the industrial revolution?

                      Lords may have steel armor, but I'm sure the grunts used iron. Before
                      the newer style furnaces, making steel was a very laborious process
                      that wasn't very productive and required a great deal of fuel.

                      If you know some percentages, it would be very interesting. Also was
                      it steel or was it case hardened? Turning a thin layer into steel. A
                      process still in use for things like Pinto crankshafts ;)

                      They
                      > obviously knew how to make it, although mass producing it for
                      everything
                      > we use it in (cars, homes, etc.) was beyond their reach.

                      Mass production in the West didn't come about until fairly recently as
                      well. It's not like the Japanese were backward in this respect, most
                      people were using similar processes in period.

                      Jim Eckman
                    • lost90804
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Ash Smith" <chronoknight@m...> wrote:

                        > While it is true that steel was not mass produced untill the industrial
                        > revolution, swords and armor have been steel for as long as we've been
                        > working iron in a forge.
                        > Steel = Iron+Carbon

                        Depends on how the carbon is dispersed. Iron can have carbon nodules
                        in large numbers. For it to be steel, the carbon and iron atoms have
                        to link. Usually in the old days this meant packing iron in an
                        airtight container with a carbon source (like hoof parings) and
                        cooking it for a day or two at high temperatures. There are other
                        period methods, none of them are fast nor do they produce any great
                        quantities. People with money could have steel, it's just not very common.

                        > Swords and armor are made from iron worked over a flame... usually coal.
                        > Anyway, the fuel put carbon into the iron.
                        > Now, it's not high carbon steel or anything, but armor and most
                        definately
                        > swords were steel... and no longer iron.

                        > Iron would not work very well for armor or swords... it won't hold
                        an edge,
                        > and it's relatively brittle... plus it'd be hard to get it into shape
                        > without using a forge... which would then make it steel.

                        It would make poor swords, but there probably were poor swords for the
                        average ashigaru. Wrought iron which is the vast majority of metal
                        items in period is not brittle, it works and welds in a forge easier
                        than steel does and is far more corrosion resistant than steel. Cast
                        iron has totally different characteristics, it can be brittle, it
                        can't be forged or welded, etc. It was quite common, (indeed I own
                        some) for tools to be wrought iron except for a tiny piece of steel
                        forge welded on as a cutting edge. The more expensive Japanese chisels
                        are still made this way!

                        Yours,
                        Jim Eckman
                      • Susan and Frank Downs
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                          Quoth James Eckman <FUGU@...>:

                          > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                          > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                          It's very clear that by my period (late Momoyama) Large quantities of steel
                          were very common. I don't really know when that came about, but I suspect
                          it involved European influence. My understanding is that before this was
                          possible they used steel from "old rakes, shovels, and various other
                          implements of destruction," to quote Sumiyori, and especially from old, worn
                          out saw blades and files to make kozane. Clearly, extremely high quality
                          steel goes way back in Japanese history, but it also seems clear that
                          quantites and particularly sizes of pieces were limited (as Ii mentioned).
                          I'll admit that this baffles me, but I'm no student of industrial history.

                          Further quoting:

                          > Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel?

                          Glad you liked the table; yes, it was all cold-rolled mild steel as I
                          recall. Your suggestion seems interesting and even more period in the sense
                          of reusing materials. I gather, though, that you're talking about making
                          kosane to be laced together, and I was refering to a two-piece hotoke do
                          (solid breast and back plates hinged together).

                          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie mentioned:

                          > I fight heavy weapons alot.
                          > I would like to submit that I have had a sengoku jidai style nimai do
                          > since just before the Gulf War that I made entirely out of 16ga cold
                          > rold mild steel. It is laced in the kebiki style, which absorbs an
                          > awfull lot of the impact. I have had to minorly straighten out
                          > slightly bent sode, and have had to repair edge lacing, but have never
                          > had to entirely relace the harness.

                          and:

                          > With a smile, I suggest that a good kinetic defence will help protect
                          > your armor, and your body, but I have never had any real problems with
                          > the mechanical functionality of the steel.

                          I congratulate you on the durability of your armor and the skill of your
                          defense. I would like to point out that I was talking about 18 years of
                          use. I have noticed that after about 5 years of fighting my laces are much
                          more drably colored, and many have begun to fray and break (I'm estimating
                          here, but it feels like about five years; of course it depends on many other
                          factors, like how often my "dead" body is dragged through muddy fields and
                          whether or not I'm in a royal guard. Both those events seem to cause me to
                          relace sooner).

                          If your kinetic defense adequately protects your armor in a bridge battle,
                          or even a hot and heavy field battle, I'm frankly impressed. I know mine
                          doesn't, but then I sometimes enjoy going out in a suicidal blaze of, if not
                          glory, at least foolhardiness. The gaijin seem to enjoy it! ;)

                          --
                          Takenoshita Naro
                          Frank Downs
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                            --- In sca-jml@y..., Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@p...> wrote:
                            > Quoth James Eckman <FUGU@p...>:
                            >
                            > It's very clear that by my period (late Momoyama) Large quantities
                            of steel
                            > were very common.

                            I suspect most of that is iron, not steel.

                            > I don't really know when that came about, but I suspect
                            > it involved European influence.

                            Europeans don't have any decent methods to mass produce steel in this
                            period either. I can bore everyone with a timeline when I get home to
                            some reference works. There is steel, just not lots of it and it's
                            very pricy because you need lots of fuel to make it compared to
                            wrought iron.

                            My understanding is that before this was
                            > possible they used steel from "old rakes, shovels, and various other
                            > implements of destruction," to quote Sumiyori, and especially from
                            old, worn
                            > out saw blades and files to make kozane.

                            ??? Reuse of iron was very extensive. I suspect old steel was reused
                            for smaller tools until it virtually disappeared from wear as was the
                            case in the US until recently.

                            > I'll admit that this baffles me, but I'm no student of industrial
                            history.

                            I'm a bit of an otaku on the subject, I'm also an engineer by trade.

                            >I gather, though, that you're talking about making
                            > kosane to be laced together, and I was refering to a two-piece hotoke do
                            > (solid breast and back plates hinged together).

                            I suspect buying a piece of high carbon steel that large would be
                            quite a bit more expensive than mild steel! Yes I was thinking of
                            smaller scales and plates since the largest stuff I see tossed away is
                            about 1 1/2" wide. The price is right!

                            Jim Eckman
                          • Ii Saburou
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 23, 2002
                              On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, lost90804 wrote:

                              > It would make poor swords, but there probably were poor swords for the
                              > average ashigaru. Wrought iron which is the vast majority of metal
                              > items in period is not brittle, it works and welds in a forge easier
                              > than steel does and is far more corrosion resistant than steel. Cast
                              > iron has totally different characteristics, it can be brittle, it
                              > can't be forged or welded, etc. It was quite common, (indeed I own
                              > some) for tools to be wrought iron except for a tiny piece of steel
                              > forge welded on as a cutting edge. The more expensive Japanese chisels
                              > are still made this way!

                              Okay, I finally got a chance to delve into my books. Stephen Turnbull
                              mentions that armour was either 'leather or iron', with an obvious
                              tendancy for metal later in period. I don't see any reference to steel
                              being using in the armour, only in the weapons; I do see plenty of
                              references to the iron armour and iron scales. Thus, I have to agree with
                              you that most armour appears to have been iron, rather than specifically
                              steel. (I'm not sure if this is true in Europe as well)

                              However, steel seems to work very well for our purposes. Does anyone know
                              if you can get iron to use to make the plates? I would be very interested
                              in what light more research might shed on this.

                              -Ii
                            • Arthur Raymond
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                I'll put in my 2 koku for aluminum. Its light and strong, plus a little thicker than steel, so it makes a nice built up effect without any work.

                                Togashi Ichiro
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                  > From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>

                                  > However, steel seems to work very well for our purposes. Does anyone
                                  > know if you can get iron to use to make the plates? I would be very
                                  > interested in what light more research might shed on this.

                                  Finding wrought iron is a bit difficult, the Japanese toolmakers
                                  mentioned earlier salvage pre-1890s anchor chain for theirs while I've
                                  heard rumours that a mill in Europe makes small batches every once in a
                                  while for speciality markets. Old buildings can be a source as well as
                                  old artifacts, most of which are approaching or have obtained
                                  collecter's status since they are over 100 years old.

                                  Here's one supplier, the web's a great thing!
                                  http://www.realwroughtiron.com/
                                  Includes a nice history and explanation of wrought iron.

                                  Jim Eckman
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 24, 2002
                                    On the whole steel vs. iron debate, we need to go right to the source:
                                    Japanese armourers.

                                    Sakakibara Kozan says this: "The method of forgin armour plates must first
                                    be considered. A plate should consist of an outer surface of steel and an
                                    inner of iron, the former being half the thickness of the latter. ...
                                    Disused hoes and spades afford the best inner iron for plates. Any steel
                                    remaining at the edge of the implement is stripped off and the part that
                                    remains, being very flexible, must be folded and forged for its new
                                    purpose."

                                    Kozane, however, were apparently primarily iron or leather, not steel.