Re: [SCA-JML] Re: armour making too

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 20 12:07 PM
      The only reason I can give (good? bad?) is that someone may not have the tools/skill/money to make or buy something better.
      Alcyoneus du Battenhelm/Kondei Ichimusai Niten
      Douglas Shannon
      wrote:Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be used
      as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use steel?

      Sylvester Burchardt
      East Kingdom

    • Yamashiro Kato'
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 20 12:21 PM
        I know I am biased, but I prefer leather. Waxed leather is strong, it
        bends, relatively light, and is easy to work with. However, leather
        can be expensive. If you can find a wholesale place, or if you can
        find it cheap, I'd vote for leather. But that's me.

        -Kato

        Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be
        used
        as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use
        steel?

        Sylvester Burchardt
        East Kingdom

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 20 8:15 PM
          On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Douglas Shannon wrote:

          > I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but want
          > to avoid plastic if I can.
          >
          > Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be used
          > as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use steel?

          Really depends on what you want to make. I am generally for steel,
          although if I want to get a nice, false ribbed appearance that would have
          been built up with laquer, I think that plastic may be the way I have to
          go. If I do that, though, I plan to add enough lacing that the plastic is
          hopefully not noticeable much. Date was working on a wonderful piece like
          this and I can't wait until it is finished!

          As for the guage of metal, that also depends on what you are looking for.
          Remember, Society minimums are really very little. On top of that, the
          only time I've seen a thickness for the metal of Japanese armour was in a
          Turnbull book--"Samurai Warfare" and, IIRC, it was about 0.8 mm. I seem
          to recall that being about 22 ga. although I can't remember off the top of
          my head.

          My current suit is 18 ga. steel. I wish I had work-hardened it beforehand
          because there are some dents I have to work out, especially in the sode.
          Nonetheless, I don't feel pain from blows at that thickness, which is one
          thing I look for in an armour--the fewer bruises the better. Personally,
          I don't think I would go any thicker than 18 ga. for most of the body.
          You will need thicker metal for other areas, however.

          Hope that is helpful. I'm not much of an armourer, and you may wish to
          listen to what those with more experience have to offer.

          -Ii
        • jim e grunst
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 21 10:39 AM
            I found some great ALUMINUM at work, cut a dozen plates.
            Looks like it'll work, total Do will weigh about 22-25 Lbs

            Takeda Tochiro

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • Douglas Shannon
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 21 11:09 AM
              > From: "Douglas Shannon" <Professor03@...>
              >Subject: Re: armour making too
              >
              >I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but want
              >to avoid plastic if I can.
              >
              >Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be used
              >as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use steel?

              Thanks to one and all who offered advice, it's truely appreciated!

              Now I need to find someplace to buy steel plate for relatively cheap in the
              New York Metro area...

              Sylvester Burchardt
              East Kingdom

            • Susan and Frank Downs
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 21 12:29 PM
                > Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:12:33 -0400
                > From: "Douglas Shannon" <Professor03@...>
                > Subject: Re: armour making too
                >
                > I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but want
                > to avoid plastic if I can.
                >
                > Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be used
                > as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use steel?
                >
                > Sylvester Burchardt
                > East Kingdom

                Greetings to all,

                Here's why I like steel armor: it's period! When I made my hotoke-do
                eighteen years ago I used fourteen gauge mild steel for the front, because
                it's what we happened to have a big chunk of lying around the armory, and I
                may have made a bit of a mistake. But eighteen years later, I still have
                that same do. I have still had to pound a few creases out of it, and I've
                had to play with how it's strapped and hinged (neither entirely period, I'm
                sorry to say, I've just resorted to strips of leather), but it's the same
                metal. It desperately needs repainting and relacing (not the first times, I
                assure you), but it may even have saved my life one time when I was charging
                in a woods battle, tripped and fell on a pointy root that was sticking
                straight out of the ground like a pungee stake aimed right at my heart.

                So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
                which are still in use, except for the haidate):

                hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)
                shikoro 16 ga. (gets bent, has to be straightened)
                sode 14 ga. (wouldn't change, works great)
                do (front) 14 ga.
                do (back) 16 ga. (some dents, but works well)
                kote 14 ga. (heavy, but I like them)
                kusazori 16 ga. (protect well -- I've taken pole arm crotch thrusts --
                but tear up the haidate; I'd like to try leather)
                haidate 18 ga. (a mistake, I've since gone to leather)
                suneate (knee) 14 ga. (good)
                suneate (shin) 18 ga. (a surprisingly good choice; they've taken shots and
                sprung right back)

                Yes, my armor is very heavy, but it's well distributed and I'm a pretty
                heavily built guy, so it doesn't bother me. A whole lot depends on what you
                can take and what you're willing to put up with. Steel armor needs
                repainting and it shows that pretty quickly -- it doesn't keep that factory
                showroom finish the way plastic seems to. My armor is very hard on its
                laces and fabric components. There may be some tricks to getting laces to
                last, something to do with the painting or really filing out each hole, but
                I don't know them. The biggest change I would make is some kind of very
                stiff heavy leather kusazori, because those metal ones swinging around
                really tear up the cloth part of the haidate and go through a lot of laces
                (They sound great though, and provide real peace of mind when those
                inevitable crotch thrusts come your way).

                Good luck!
                --
                Takenoshita Naro
                Marinus, Atlantia

                Frank Downs
                Chesapeake, Virginia
              • Zach Schneider
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 21 8:58 PM
                  You should be able to find a sheet of 16 guage steel, whether hot rolled or
                  cold rolled for about 35 bucks and is 4 feet by 8 feet.
                  Yoshida Takezo
                  > >I too am looking into doing a bit of Japanese kit over the winter, but
                  want
                  > >to avoid plastic if I can.
                  > >
                  > >Can anyone suggest an appropriate gauge of steel (probably mild) to be
                  used
                  > >as SCA armor or can someone give me a REALLY good reason to NOT use
                  steel?

                  > Thanks to one and all who offered advice, it's truely appreciated!
                  >
                  > Now I need to find someplace to buy steel plate for relatively cheap in
                  the
                  > New York Metro area...
                  >
                  > Sylvester Burchardt
                  > East Kingdom

                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 23 1:48 AM
                    > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
                    > From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
                    > Subject: Re: armour making too

                    > Here's why I like steel armor: it's period!

                    I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                    of steel until the industrial revolution.

                    > So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
                    > which are still in use, except for the haidate):
                    >
                    > hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)

                    <snip>

                    Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel? One wacky
                    idea that I'm going to suggest is to use high carbon steel plates that
                    are tempered. I've used various scraps from the steel banding that they
                    use to wrap and secure crates for woodworking tools, it's a tough spring
                    steel which will probably have to be bent instead of cut and have the
                    edges ground smooth and rounded. Unlikely to be bent or dented! This is
                    even less period in one sense!

                    Good luck
                  • Ii Saburou
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 23 3:11 AM
                      On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:

                      > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                      > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                      ??

                      You see a log of lacquered leather, but also a lot of steel in later
                      period armour. I'll look up sources if you would like--why would you say
                      that it would have to wait until the industrial revolution? They
                      obviously knew how to make it, although mass producing it for everything
                      we use it in (cars, homes, etc.) was beyond their reach.

                      -Ii
                    • dateyukiie
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 23 6:01 AM
                        Greetings to all on the list, and especially thos I finally met either
                        on the battlefield or in private at Pennsic from Yama Kaminari no Date
                        Saburou Yukiie;
                        I fight heavy weapons alot.
                        I would like to submit that I have had a sengoku jidai style nimai do
                        since just before the Gulf War that I made entirely out of 16ga cold
                        rold mild steel. It is laced in the kebiki style, which absorbs an
                        awfull lot of the impact. I have had to minorly straighten out
                        slightly bent sode, and have had to repair edge lacing, but have never
                        had to entirely relace the harness. My kabuto is also ga cold rolled,
                        and the shikoro is laced kebiki. Minor reforming on the shikoro, but
                        no structural problems with the hachi (bowl).
                        I wear haidate made of the same material over a close quilted fabric
                        base, and only suffer bruises in the inside of the leg, if I get hit
                        there. My somen is 16ga cold rolled, and has multiple compound curves
                        built into it, which add to the rigidity. It has never so much as been
                        dented, although I have taken numerous hits to the face.
                        With a smile, I suggest that a good kinetic defence will help protect
                        your armor, and your body, but I have never had any real problems with
                        the mechanical functionality of the steel.
                        I would also like to thank those who posed for pics for my web pages.
                        They can be found if you follow the links marked "other projects" on
                        the www.kabutographics pages and aim towards the Knowne World Samurai
                        pages.
                        Thanks also to Yumi for his wonderful demos of kyudo, and his sage
                        advice with regards to period archery.
                        respects to all...
                        Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie
                        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave

                      • elsyr@attbi.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 23 7:05 AM
                          Of course, if you wanted to be _really_ period about
                          your armor construction materials (especially for
                          munitions grade armor), you could go around to garage
                          sales and pick up old rakes, shovels, and various other
                          implements of destruction and cut your iozane out of
                          those. :-)

                          Sumiyori
                          > > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
                          > > From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
                          > > Subject: Re: armour making too
                          >

                          > > Here's why I like steel armor: it's period!
                          >

                          > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                          > of steel until the industrial revolution.
                          >
                          > > So here are the gauges I used on all the parts of my armor in 1984 (All of
                          > > which are still in use, except for the haidate):
                          > >
                          > > hachi 14 ga. (had to pound out a few creases)
                          >
                          > <snip>
                          >
                          > Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel? One wacky
                          > idea that I'm going to suggest is to use high carbon steel plates that
                          > are tempered. I've used various scraps from the steel banding that they
                          > use to wrap and secure crates for woodworking tools, it's a tough spring
                          > steel which will probably have to be bent instead of cut and have the
                          > edges ground smooth and rounded. Unlikely to be bent or dented! This is
                          > even less period in one sense!
                          >
                          > Good luck

                        • Ash Smith
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 23 11:30 AM
                            > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                            > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                            While it is true that steel was not mass produced untill the industrial
                            revolution, swords and armor have been steel for as long as we've been
                            working iron in a forge.
                            Steel = Iron+Carbon
                            Swords and armor are made from iron worked over a flame... usually coal.
                            Anyway, the fuel put carbon into the iron.
                            Now, it's not high carbon steel or anything, but armor and most definately
                            swords were steel... and no longer iron.

                            Iron would not work very well for armor or swords... it won't hold an edge,
                            and it's relatively brittle... plus it'd be hard to get it into shape
                            without using a forge... which would then make it steel.

                            Humbly,
                            Ash
                          • lost90804
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 23 1:47 PM
                              > On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, James Eckman wrote:
                              >
                              > > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great
                              quantity
                              > > of steel until the industrial revolution.
                              >
                              > ??
                              >
                              > You see a log of lacquered leather, but also a lot of steel in later
                              > period armour. I'll look up sources if you would like--why would
                              you say
                              > that it would have to wait until the industrial revolution?

                              Lords may have steel armor, but I'm sure the grunts used iron. Before
                              the newer style furnaces, making steel was a very laborious process
                              that wasn't very productive and required a great deal of fuel.

                              If you know some percentages, it would be very interesting. Also was
                              it steel or was it case hardened? Turning a thin layer into steel. A
                              process still in use for things like Pinto crankshafts ;)

                              They
                              > obviously knew how to make it, although mass producing it for
                              everything
                              > we use it in (cars, homes, etc.) was beyond their reach.

                              Mass production in the West didn't come about until fairly recently as
                              well. It's not like the Japanese were backward in this respect, most
                              people were using similar processes in period.

                              Jim Eckman
                            • lost90804
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 23 2:09 PM
                                --- In sca-jml@y..., "Ash Smith" <chronoknight@m...> wrote:

                                > While it is true that steel was not mass produced untill the industrial
                                > revolution, swords and armor have been steel for as long as we've been
                                > working iron in a forge.
                                > Steel = Iron+Carbon

                                Depends on how the carbon is dispersed. Iron can have carbon nodules
                                in large numbers. For it to be steel, the carbon and iron atoms have
                                to link. Usually in the old days this meant packing iron in an
                                airtight container with a carbon source (like hoof parings) and
                                cooking it for a day or two at high temperatures. There are other
                                period methods, none of them are fast nor do they produce any great
                                quantities. People with money could have steel, it's just not very common.

                                > Swords and armor are made from iron worked over a flame... usually coal.
                                > Anyway, the fuel put carbon into the iron.
                                > Now, it's not high carbon steel or anything, but armor and most
                                definately
                                > swords were steel... and no longer iron.

                                > Iron would not work very well for armor or swords... it won't hold
                                an edge,
                                > and it's relatively brittle... plus it'd be hard to get it into shape
                                > without using a forge... which would then make it steel.

                                It would make poor swords, but there probably were poor swords for the
                                average ashigaru. Wrought iron which is the vast majority of metal
                                items in period is not brittle, it works and welds in a forge easier
                                than steel does and is far more corrosion resistant than steel. Cast
                                iron has totally different characteristics, it can be brittle, it
                                can't be forged or welded, etc. It was quite common, (indeed I own
                                some) for tools to be wrought iron except for a tiny piece of steel
                                forge welded on as a cutting edge. The more expensive Japanese chisels
                                are still made this way!

                                Yours,
                                Jim Eckman
                              • Susan and Frank Downs
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 23 2:52 PM
                                  Quoth James Eckman <FUGU@...>:

                                  > I suspect iron armor is period ;) Your not going to see a great quantity
                                  > of steel until the industrial revolution.

                                  It's very clear that by my period (late Momoyama) Large quantities of steel
                                  were very common. I don't really know when that came about, but I suspect
                                  it involved European influence. My understanding is that before this was
                                  possible they used steel from "old rakes, shovels, and various other
                                  implements of destruction," to quote Sumiyori, and especially from old, worn
                                  out saw blades and files to make kozane. Clearly, extremely high quality
                                  steel goes way back in Japanese history, but it also seems clear that
                                  quantites and particularly sizes of pieces were limited (as Ii mentioned).
                                  I'll admit that this baffles me, but I'm no student of industrial history.

                                  Further quoting:

                                  > Very neat table with results listed! Are these all mild steel?

                                  Glad you liked the table; yes, it was all cold-rolled mild steel as I
                                  recall. Your suggestion seems interesting and even more period in the sense
                                  of reusing materials. I gather, though, that you're talking about making
                                  kosane to be laced together, and I was refering to a two-piece hotoke do
                                  (solid breast and back plates hinged together).

                                  Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie mentioned:

                                  > I fight heavy weapons alot.
                                  > I would like to submit that I have had a sengoku jidai style nimai do
                                  > since just before the Gulf War that I made entirely out of 16ga cold
                                  > rold mild steel. It is laced in the kebiki style, which absorbs an
                                  > awfull lot of the impact. I have had to minorly straighten out
                                  > slightly bent sode, and have had to repair edge lacing, but have never
                                  > had to entirely relace the harness.

                                  and:

                                  > With a smile, I suggest that a good kinetic defence will help protect
                                  > your armor, and your body, but I have never had any real problems with
                                  > the mechanical functionality of the steel.

                                  I congratulate you on the durability of your armor and the skill of your
                                  defense. I would like to point out that I was talking about 18 years of
                                  use. I have noticed that after about 5 years of fighting my laces are much
                                  more drably colored, and many have begun to fray and break (I'm estimating
                                  here, but it feels like about five years; of course it depends on many other
                                  factors, like how often my "dead" body is dragged through muddy fields and
                                  whether or not I'm in a royal guard. Both those events seem to cause me to
                                  relace sooner).

                                  If your kinetic defense adequately protects your armor in a bridge battle,
                                  or even a hot and heavy field battle, I'm frankly impressed. I know mine
                                  doesn't, but then I sometimes enjoy going out in a suicidal blaze of, if not
                                  glory, at least foolhardiness. The gaijin seem to enjoy it! ;)

                                  --
                                  Takenoshita Naro
                                  Frank Downs
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 23 3:46 PM
                                    --- In sca-jml@y..., Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@p...> wrote:
                                    > Quoth James Eckman <FUGU@p...>:
                                    >
                                    > It's very clear that by my period (late Momoyama) Large quantities
                                    of steel
                                    > were very common.

                                    I suspect most of that is iron, not steel.

                                    > I don't really know when that came about, but I suspect
                                    > it involved European influence.

                                    Europeans don't have any decent methods to mass produce steel in this
                                    period either. I can bore everyone with a timeline when I get home to
                                    some reference works. There is steel, just not lots of it and it's
                                    very pricy because you need lots of fuel to make it compared to
                                    wrought iron.

                                    My understanding is that before this was
                                    > possible they used steel from "old rakes, shovels, and various other
                                    > implements of destruction," to quote Sumiyori, and especially from
                                    old, worn
                                    > out saw blades and files to make kozane.

                                    ??? Reuse of iron was very extensive. I suspect old steel was reused
                                    for smaller tools until it virtually disappeared from wear as was the
                                    case in the US until recently.

                                    > I'll admit that this baffles me, but I'm no student of industrial
                                    history.

                                    I'm a bit of an otaku on the subject, I'm also an engineer by trade.

                                    >I gather, though, that you're talking about making
                                    > kosane to be laced together, and I was refering to a two-piece hotoke do
                                    > (solid breast and back plates hinged together).

                                    I suspect buying a piece of high carbon steel that large would be
                                    quite a bit more expensive than mild steel! Yes I was thinking of
                                    smaller scales and plates since the largest stuff I see tossed away is
                                    about 1 1/2" wide. The price is right!

                                    Jim Eckman
                                  • Ii Saburou
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 23 7:32 PM
                                      On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, lost90804 wrote:

                                      > It would make poor swords, but there probably were poor swords for the
                                      > average ashigaru. Wrought iron which is the vast majority of metal
                                      > items in period is not brittle, it works and welds in a forge easier
                                      > than steel does and is far more corrosion resistant than steel. Cast
                                      > iron has totally different characteristics, it can be brittle, it
                                      > can't be forged or welded, etc. It was quite common, (indeed I own
                                      > some) for tools to be wrought iron except for a tiny piece of steel
                                      > forge welded on as a cutting edge. The more expensive Japanese chisels
                                      > are still made this way!

                                      Okay, I finally got a chance to delve into my books. Stephen Turnbull
                                      mentions that armour was either 'leather or iron', with an obvious
                                      tendancy for metal later in period. I don't see any reference to steel
                                      being using in the armour, only in the weapons; I do see plenty of
                                      references to the iron armour and iron scales. Thus, I have to agree with
                                      you that most armour appears to have been iron, rather than specifically
                                      steel. (I'm not sure if this is true in Europe as well)

                                      However, steel seems to work very well for our purposes. Does anyone know
                                      if you can get iron to use to make the plates? I would be very interested
                                      in what light more research might shed on this.

                                      -Ii
                                    • Arthur Raymond
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 24 3:30 PM
                                        I'll put in my 2 koku for aluminum. Its light and strong, plus a little thicker than steel, so it makes a nice built up effect without any work.

                                        Togashi Ichiro

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 24 4:17 PM
                                          > From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>

                                          > However, steel seems to work very well for our purposes. Does anyone
                                          > know if you can get iron to use to make the plates? I would be very
                                          > interested in what light more research might shed on this.

                                          Finding wrought iron is a bit difficult, the Japanese toolmakers
                                          mentioned earlier salvage pre-1890s anchor chain for theirs while I've
                                          heard rumours that a mill in Europe makes small batches every once in a
                                          while for speciality markets. Old buildings can be a source as well as
                                          old artifacts, most of which are approaching or have obtained
                                          collecter's status since they are over 100 years old.

                                          Here's one supplier, the web's a great thing!
                                          http://www.realwroughtiron.com/
                                          Includes a nice history and explanation of wrought iron.

                                          Jim Eckman
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 24 5:07 PM
                                            On the whole steel vs. iron debate, we need to go right to the source:
                                            Japanese armourers.

                                            Sakakibara Kozan says this: "The method of forgin armour plates must first
                                            be considered. A plate should consist of an outer surface of steel and an
                                            inner of iron, the former being half the thickness of the latter. ...
                                            Disused hoes and spades afford the best inner iron for plates. Any steel
                                            remaining at the edge of the implement is stripped off and the part that
                                            remains, being very flexible, must be folded and forged for its new
                                            purpose."

                                            Kozane, however, were apparently primarily iron or leather, not steel.