kyudo yumi [FS]

  • chagin1
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2002
      Konnichi-wa, gentles -

      I have a Don Symansky (Boulder Colorado) hand crafted bamboo Kyudo Yumi. It is a nisun-nobi, with 18 kg at 90 cm draw (full draw for this bow at "Kai" is somewhat longer). Acording to my sensei (Dan DeProspero), I have "outgrown" this bow and need to purchase a yonsun-nobi. So that means that this bow, which has been "tamed" and well treated (i.e. it has no weaknesses and has been "set" into its shape so that it shoots well and rather forgivingly), is now looking for someone (up to about 6' to 6'2" tall) who will also treasure it, and continue to shoot it so that it does not weaken or warp with age. Normally, these bows cost about $450, and if purchased new, carry the risk of being too fragile for the shooter if they use it without proper instruction on the grip and method of shooting (which is NOT similar to western shooting). Images of it (strung and unstrung) and of myself shooting it in dojo are at http://home.nc.rr.com/ejconsult/kyudo/ (4 pictures). I am thinking of putting it for sale on e-bay since I cannot afford the full cost of a yonsun-nobi (about $550). However, it is much more likely that a member of this noble list would be a better caretaker of this Yumi. SCA legal arrows for this bow can be purchased from Jaap Koppedreyer (at Pennsic, look for the YUMI tent). Shipping by FEDEX costs about $25.00 plus the cost of full value insurance. If anyone is insterested in investing in this bow, please reply to me directly (eschmeisser <at> nc.rr.com). I will hold off placing it into open auction for a week, and will accept reasonable offers.

      - Takanofuji Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
      (aka Baron Seamus McCryu-McHoo)
      (mka Elmar Schmeisser)
      - North Carolina.
    • chagin1
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2002
        OK - since I got no contacts fromt he folks on this list, it's on e-bay now (look for yumi). One bid is already registered...

        - elmar/Jutte