Re: Swords on Ebay

  • gregorrius
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
      There are some genuine hand forged blades and fittings on ebay, both
      in the antiques and wwII sections. A quality blade of course can
      run upwards of $1000.

      Mass produced blades were made during the war to meet demand and are
      technically not samurai swords. Although some family heirlooms were
      also put into modern fittings and carried. Most gunto (Meiji era)
      blades are marked with the little meiji flower.

      For a guide to real katana see http://www.ncjsc.org If you happen
      to be in California, their sword show and sale is in two weeks

      The sword collecting list is nihonto@yahoogroups

      --- In sca-jml@y..., Park McKellop <squire009@y...> wrote:

      > I've been looking at some "ancient" Japanese style swords on ebay.
      These may date way back to WWII! ;) I'm just curious as to what the
      labels say. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=897251600 is one example. There is some difference in
      the fittings, and scabbards, but the numbers are pretty much all the
      same. 40127 or 46127. The rising sun flags go in either
      direction. "Made by the Sucker Tourist Finding Sword Company"?