Swords on Ebay

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
      I've been looking at some "ancient" Japanese style swords on ebay. These may date way back to WWII! ;) I'm just curious as to what the labels say. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=897251600 is one example. There is some difference in the fittings, and scabbards, but the numbers are pretty much all the same. 40127 or 46127. The rising sun flags go in either direction. "Made by the Sucker Tourist Finding Sword Company"?

      Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

    • Ash Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
        Hello. My fiancee is the one on this list, and we have done alot of
        research into pre-WWII blades. His mother had bought him a katana and we
        had to date and and stuff. Okay, that sword on ebay was mass produced by
        the Japanese and is machine made. Maybe worth 50$. Personally I would not
        buy it. ^_^ I have seen many swords like the one for auction and they were
        commonly refered to as kitchen steel (meaning the quality of the metal is
        that of what we use today) Ummm when he wakes up, I'm sure he can tell you
        much more about what you want to look for and what to stay away from... but
        that is my 2 cents.
        ^_^ If you want to see pics of his katana just give a holler, we'll put up
        some pics. We still have not been able to translate the signature on the
        tang. Odd characters and the guy had bad handwriting. lol. But we dated it
        pre-WWII officers sword. Unlike the one on auction where the handle is all
        metal cast, ours has the ray skin and silk cording, and stuff. ^_^ I"m not
        up on my termology, please pardon me for that. ^_^ BUt anywho, if we can
        answer any quetions just e-mail. I know there are probably more qualified
        ppl to answer, but what we know is open to you. ^_^

        Rebecca

        > I've been looking at some "ancient" Japanese style swords on ebay. These
        may date way back to WWII! ;) I'm just curious as to what the labels say.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=897251600 is one example.
        There is some difference in the fittings, and scabbards, but the numbers are
        pretty much all the same. 40127 or 46127. The rising sun flags go in
        either direction. "Made by the Sucker Tourist Finding Sword Company"?

        > Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

      • gregorrius
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
          There are some genuine hand forged blades and fittings on ebay, both
          in the antiques and wwII sections. A quality blade of course can
          run upwards of $1000.

          Mass produced blades were made during the war to meet demand and are
          technically not samurai swords. Although some family heirlooms were
          also put into modern fittings and carried. Most gunto (Meiji era)
          blades are marked with the little meiji flower.

          For a guide to real katana see http://www.ncjsc.org If you happen
          to be in California, their sword show and sale is in two weeks

          The sword collecting list is nihonto@yahoogroups