Period Japanese Medicine

  • shadow4549
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2002
      Ohayo Gozimasu,
      Could anyone point me to primary sources to research Japanese
      medicine in period. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Domo Arigato
      Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage
    • Mokurai
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
        I have been curious about this but also unsure of what would be a good
        Japanese resource. However, I believe Japanese medicine (like so many other
        Japanese cultural items) was based on Chinese medicine and geomancy. That
        was where I decided to start when I was looking into this, but I was pulled
        off to other subjects. Find a copy of "The Yellow Emperor's Classic of
        Internal Medicine". It is a pre-Period Taoist physician's manual.

        Good luck!

        - mokurai (home from Pennsic and still in the after-glow)

      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2002
          On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Mokurai wrote:

          > I have been curious about this but also unsure of what would be a good
          > Japanese resource. However, I believe Japanese medicine (like so many other
          > Japanese cultural items) was based on Chinese medicine and geomancy. That
          > was where I decided to start when I was looking into this, but I was pulled
          > off to other subjects. Find a copy of "The Yellow Emperor's Classic of
          > Internal Medicine". It is a pre-Period Taoist physician's manual.

          I found another reference to medicine, although it is just outside of
          1600, it would appear (the author fought in the battle of Shimabara in
          1638, according to Turnbull). It is the Zohyo Monogatari (Soldier's Tale)
          and it relates medical treatments for use on campaign.

          (WARNING: There is some graphical depictions in the following translations
          that may offend some readers).

          "When lying down in a camp in a field or on a mountain, if an adder bites
          don't get over excited, speedily apply one monme of gunpowder to the spot.
          Set fire to it and the virulence will quickly disappear, but if it is
          delayed it will not work."

          AND

          "Mix horse dung in water and apply to the torso. Bleeding will be reduced
          and bruises will quickly heal. It is also said that even drinking horse's
          blood will make bleeding reduce. This is because the horse's blood will
          not pass through. But eating dung makes it worse..."

          "If a bruise is aching urinate in a copper hat. Let it go cold and wash
          with it, and the place with the cut will become much better... If the
          blood is persimmon colour then there is poison in the wound. In the case
          of a wound in the area around the eyeball a twisted paper string must be
          wound around the head. Apply hot water."

          Turnbull also notes that "Traditional herbal remedies (noted in the
          'Bansen Shukai' and elsewhere) could also be used." Some examples he
          gives: treating a sword wound with mashed narcissus root. Treat cuts from
          sharpened bamboo with wheat flour paste. Apply pulverised leeks to
          gunshot wounds. Hold cuts from iron objects over the smoke from burning
          rags. Apply a mixture of tannin and ink to scalds.

          While these appear to be late to post-period remedies, they may
          nonetheless prove useful.

          -Ii

          Bib:
          "The Samurai Sourcebook" by Stephen Turnbull, ISBN 1-85409-523-4
        • shadow4549
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25, 2002
            Thank you. I will have to find this book.
            Kuro