Re: [SCA-JML] quick garb questions

  • Chris Cunning
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
      Hmm, could I get the pattern for the kataginu myself? I am squiring to a past
      and present Japanese knight here in Atlantia, and I have been having problems
      trying to figure out the kataginu.

      For zori and tabi, try www.houserice.com. They are pretty affordable, though
      the tabi are expensive. I recommend the tatami zori. An easy and cheap of
      tabi ($2 a pair) is to get some crew socks, turn them inside out, sew a little
      "U" where the gap between the big toe and the index toe is and instant tabi.
      If your hakama are the right length, no one will really know yer wearing
      converted socks unless they look closely. And even though they are going to
      wear out a little quickly, with the money you pay for real tabi, you can get a
      lot of socks.

      Always in service,

      Christopher mac an Conaing
      soon to be given a more japanese name

      Atlantia

      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, benalishlancer wrote:
      >
      > > 1)I'm goin for the Kataginu kamishimo look so I need patterns for the
      > > following:Kosode,Hakama, and Kataginu. The files in the garb section
      > > can not be downloaded to my computer.Does anyone know where elseI can
      > > get patterns(I can receive them through email however).
      >
      > Okay, I'm e-mailing you the patterns privately.
      >
      > > 2)Is there any other piece of garb or accessory that I should have
      > > with me? If so, what is it and where can I find it?
      >
      > That should be the basics. You may want to work on a hat and shoes next.
      > Other than that, start looking at pictures and see what you would want.
      >
      > > 3)What type of material should I use (my persona is from late 1400s
      > > to early 1500s)
      >
      > I would recommend linen if you can. Hemp linen can be purchased from
      > pickhemp.com, but it requires you buy 10 yds and wait for them to ship. I
      > believe fabric-store.com has decent prices for actual linen.
      >
      > Silk would be good as well, but is more expensive if you want to get the
      > right type of silk.
      >
      > Good Luck!
      >
      > -Ii

    • benalishlancer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
        I've volunteered to help out a demo in a little under 2 weeks and
        need to start workin on my garb. Anyhow, I'm coming up with a few
        problems with my samurai garb.
        1)I'm goin for the Kataginu kamishimo look so I need patterns for the
        following:Kosode,Hakama, and Kataginu. The files in the garb section
        can not be downloaded to my computer.Does anyone know where elseI can
        get patterns(I can receive them through email however).

        2)Is there any other piece of garb or accessory that I should have
        with me? If so, what is it and where can I find it?

        3)What type of material should I use (my persona is from late 1400s
        to early 1500s)

        4)Anything else I forgot?
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
          On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, benalishlancer wrote:

          > 1)I'm goin for the Kataginu kamishimo look so I need patterns for the
          > following:Kosode,Hakama, and Kataginu. The files in the garb section
          > can not be downloaded to my computer.Does anyone know where elseI can
          > get patterns(I can receive them through email however).

          Okay, I'm e-mailing you the patterns privately.

          > 2)Is there any other piece of garb or accessory that I should have
          > with me? If so, what is it and where can I find it?

          That should be the basics. You may want to work on a hat and shoes next.
          Other than that, start looking at pictures and see what you would want.

          > 3)What type of material should I use (my persona is from late 1400s
          > to early 1500s)

          I would recommend linen if you can. Hemp linen can be purchased from
          pickhemp.com, but it requires you buy 10 yds and wait for them to ship. I
          believe fabric-store.com has decent prices for actual linen.

          Silk would be good as well, but is more expensive if you want to get the
          right type of silk.

          Good Luck!

          -Ii
        • SirRichTS
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
            Looking for a few things maybe you all can help. Here is the list...

            Complete Heater
            Ratan Naginata (Pole Arm)
            Complete One hand basket sword
            Japanese Style Helm
            Black Kydex Clamshells
            Tabi Style Boots
            Leather Half Gauntlets
            Ratan Katana

            ... This is what I'm looking for, only Problem is I'm broke. I do
            Have Some Warhammer 40k to trade (Dark Angels, Escher, SOB) though
            and maybe a small amount of cash. You can Get ahold of me at
            DavrosRTS@...

            Thanks!