More on ceramics

  • lord_aharon_of_talkon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2002
      I still have to look over the rest of my books, but here is the best
      book that I have found on japanese ceramic history:

      Mikami, Tsugio The Art of Japanese Ceramics (Heibonsha Survey of
      Japanese Art Ser., Vol. 29) Trumbull, CT, U.S.A.: Weatherhill,
      Incorporated, 1979 Hard Cover. Very Good/Very Good. Fourth Printing.
      8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. ISBN:083481000x. 185 pages with 44 colour
      and 164 b/w illustrations.

      Not sure if this is the CORRECT author...I got the listing off
      ABEbooks.com. I do know it is the Heibonsha Survey of Japanese Arts
      the ceramic one (they have tons of different art focuses). It's a
      beutiful book and I bought it over the internet, without ever seeing
      it before. The joys of plugging in generic titles into search
      engines comes across the most interesting books. :)

      As for porcelain, when I was looking over my books, I really do think
      that blue on white didn't come around unit early 1600 (as was stated
      before) but it definetly came from China first, who did have it much
      earlier. I'm currently putting together a science display on
      ceramics for Caid, that needs to be done in two weeks, so hopefully
      by then, I will be able to give you all more detailed info. I just
      didn't want to NOT post and have you all think I was scared away.

      I plan on showing ceramics in europe and asia, and show the
      advancement of asia over europe. Heh. So, I should have more
      details later (hopefully) if everything works out. Wish me luck! :)

      So, hopefully in a few weeks, I should be able to give you dates and
      so forth that are researched and not off the top of my head on
      Arita/Imari and that sort of junk. :)

      --Raku/Arte