RE: [SCA-JML] Gifts

  • Marc Choronzey
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 19 9:35 AM
      Hum.... (ideas boiling dangerously)

      I guess we COULD do like our 12th century counterparts and come down from
      the mountains with our portable shrine and make demands, neh?

      Aaahhh corrupt monks. ;)

      -Shisen...the "non-corrupt" monk.

      From: Ron Martino <yumitori@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:24:20 -0600

      > Bushels of rice. Deeds to land are nice bits for bushi to receive, if
      > somewhat impractical in the SCA.

      > -Ii

      I think deeds of land are an excellent idea. Some years back the then
      current baronial couple in Loch Salann deeded portions of their barony
      to the various peers residing there. No one took it as a 'real' gift,
      but it was quite fun. I was jealous of the lady who received the lands
      encompassing the local zoo...

      Along the same lines, the BoD denies any royal peer the right to claim
      lands. I personally think that's silly. As one, I have lands that make
      up my viscounty, somewhere near the barony where I'm often found to be
      hanging out. If you ask me where they are exactly, I'll wave vaguely off
      in the appropriate direction. If you check the zip-sort for the region,
      you won't find any unclaimed, nor do I (as Ron) think that anyone living
      on 'my' lands owes fealty to me, not the barony (though I as Yumitori
      know that I have the unswerving loyalty of all my retainers). Simply
      keep the legal aspect separate from the game aspect, don't let your ego
      get in the way, and have fun with it.

      Yumitori

      must preside at our assemblies.
      William O. Douglas

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com

    • lord_aharon_of_talkon
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 19 12:18 PM
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Mokurai" <mokurai@n...> wrote:
        > I like this idea a lot and as far as I know, clothing is certainly
        a Period
        > gift for anyone. Personally, I also think feast gear is a good,
        practical
        > gift if you have access to Japanese wares. Stick to the red and
        black
        > laquerware stuff as it is most Period-ish.

        FYI, feastgear in period was mainly blue on white porcelain plates.
        I can't remember if it is Arita or Imari that is the more
        period...but I have documentation at home showing these guys.
        Technically, you should be able to find very close stuff in your
        local asian market (that is if you have one).

        Supposedly, and this is from another quilting book I have, that
        little drawstring bags were presented to Lords from the workers.
        They would be filled with little objects like rice and cakes. My
        documentation is VERY shaky on this one...I got this info from a book
        called Omiage, which is a modern quilting book that makes cute little
        drawing string bags.

        Hopefully that helps sort of.

        --Artemisia di Serena
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 21 2:12 PM
          IIRC it is Arita that is the period one. My memory tells me (and I will look it up...) that Imari is later, perhaps 18th century???

          Kiri
          > I like this idea a lot and as far as I know, clothing is certainly
          a Period
          > gift for anyone. Personally, I also think feast gear is a good,
          practical
          > gift if you have access to Japanese wares. Stick to the red and
          black
          > laquerware stuff as it is most Period-ish.

          FYI, feastgear in period was mainly blue on white porcelain plates.
          I can't remember if it is Arita or Imari that is the more
          period...but I have documentation at home showing these guys.
          Technically, you should be able to find very close stuff in your
          local asian market (that is if you have one).

          Supposedly, and this is from another quilting book I have, that
          little drawstring bags were presented to Lords from the workers.
          They would be filled with little objects like rice and cakes. My
          documentation is VERY shaky on this one...I got this info from a book
          called Omiage, which is a modern quilting book that makes cute little
          drawing string bags.

          Hopefully that helps sort of.

          --Artemisia di Serena

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 22 6:06 AM
            > From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>
            > Subject: Re: Re: Gifts
            >
            > IIRC it is Arita that is the period one. My memory tells me (and I will look it up...) that Imari is later, perhaps 18th century???

            This site has a good history of Japanese ceramics as well as lots of eye
            candy.
            http://www.e-yakimono.net/guide/html/timeline.html

            Enjoy,

            Jim Eckman