RE: [SCA-JML] Gifts

  • Mokurai
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 19, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Marc Choronzey [mailto:killrock@...]
      Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 8:16 AM
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Gifts

      Good one.

      I think that is an excellent in-game idea.... Although giving a monk a deed
      to a land is somewhat...inappropriate, neh?

      Depends on his rank. The monastic system in Japan was as corrupt as any in
      Europe, after all, and there were some pretty wealthy abbots.

      - mokurai

      -Shisen.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 19, 2002
        Hum.... (ideas boiling dangerously)

        I guess we COULD do like our 12th century counterparts and come down from
        the mountains with our portable shrine and make demands, neh?

        Aaahhh corrupt monks. ;)

        -Shisen...the "non-corrupt" monk.

        > Bushels of rice. Deeds to land are nice bits for bushi to receive, if
        > somewhat impractical in the SCA.

        > -Ii

        I think deeds of land are an excellent idea. Some years back the then
        current baronial couple in Loch Salann deeded portions of their barony
        to the various peers residing there. No one took it as a 'real' gift,
        but it was quite fun. I was jealous of the lady who received the lands
        encompassing the local zoo...

        Along the same lines, the BoD denies any royal peer the right to claim
        lands. I personally think that's silly. As one, I have lands that make
        up my viscounty, somewhere near the barony where I'm often found to be
        hanging out. If you ask me where they are exactly, I'll wave vaguely off
        in the appropriate direction. If you check the zip-sort for the region,
        you won't find any unclaimed, nor do I (as Ron) think that anyone living
        on 'my' lands owes fealty to me, not the barony (though I as Yumitori
        know that I have the unswerving loyalty of all my retainers). Simply
        keep the legal aspect separate from the game aspect, don't let your ego
        get in the way, and have fun with it.

        Yumitori

        must preside at our assemblies.
        William O. Douglas

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com

      • lord_aharon_of_talkon
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 19, 2002
          --- In sca-jml@y..., "Mokurai" <mokurai@n...> wrote:
          > I like this idea a lot and as far as I know, clothing is certainly
          a Period
          > gift for anyone. Personally, I also think feast gear is a good,
          practical
          > gift if you have access to Japanese wares. Stick to the red and
          black
          > laquerware stuff as it is most Period-ish.

          FYI, feastgear in period was mainly blue on white porcelain plates.
          I can't remember if it is Arita or Imari that is the more
          period...but I have documentation at home showing these guys.
          Technically, you should be able to find very close stuff in your
          local asian market (that is if you have one).

          Supposedly, and this is from another quilting book I have, that
          little drawstring bags were presented to Lords from the workers.
          They would be filled with little objects like rice and cakes. My
          documentation is VERY shaky on this one...I got this info from a book
          called Omiage, which is a modern quilting book that makes cute little
          drawing string bags.

          Hopefully that helps sort of.

          --Artemisia di Serena
        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 21, 2002
            IIRC it is Arita that is the period one. My memory tells me (and I will look it up...) that Imari is later, perhaps 18th century???

            Kiri
            > I like this idea a lot and as far as I know, clothing is certainly
            a Period
            > gift for anyone. Personally, I also think feast gear is a good,
            practical
            > gift if you have access to Japanese wares. Stick to the red and
            black
            > laquerware stuff as it is most Period-ish.

            FYI, feastgear in period was mainly blue on white porcelain plates.
            I can't remember if it is Arita or Imari that is the more
            period...but I have documentation at home showing these guys.
            Technically, you should be able to find very close stuff in your
            local asian market (that is if you have one).

            Supposedly, and this is from another quilting book I have, that
            little drawstring bags were presented to Lords from the workers.
            They would be filled with little objects like rice and cakes. My
            documentation is VERY shaky on this one...I got this info from a book
            called Omiage, which is a modern quilting book that makes cute little
            drawing string bags.

            Hopefully that helps sort of.

            --Artemisia di Serena

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 22, 2002
              > From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>
              > Subject: Re: Re: Gifts
              >
              > IIRC it is Arita that is the period one. My memory tells me (and I will look it up...) that Imari is later, perhaps 18th century???

              This site has a good history of Japanese ceramics as well as lots of eye
              candy.
              http://www.e-yakimono.net/guide/html/timeline.html

              Enjoy,

              Jim Eckman