fluting may be improper name?

  • Irish_65
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002
      Konichiwa
      Hail and well met
      thanks for all the help im not sure if I have the term right I
      thought it might be called fluting.on the munaita on the front of the
      Do and on the wakiita the peices that go under your arm pits all the
      pictures I have seen show a kind of rounded lip edge. I am guessing
      this is whats called fluting if I am incorect please tell me.I was
      thinking to obtain this one wold strike the metal from the back side
      with a rounded off chisel to form a small channel to create the
      rounded lip on the front side.if this is incorrect or if you know of
      a easier way please let me know as I am still cleaning up the edges
      and it will be a while before I attempt this.I know 14 guage may seem
      a lil heavy for the do but I am only making the front out of 14 guage
      I am going to make the back out of 16 I have already compleated my
      Hadaite or thigh protectors using the Online Armor Manual and the
      turned out rather nice I am going to post there pics once i get the
      pics developed.I used 16 guage for the plates on them and have given
      several test wacks from a Oak boaken from my 14yr old son and am
      quite happy with there performance.
    • Zach Schneider
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002
        What you are refering to is called rolling an edge, bead rolling, or
        possibly roping an edge. There are some online manuals and tutorials with
        pics if you need them. Basicaly, you take a piece and set it on an edge of
        your anvil and tap a margin outwards (as you are wearing it) until you have
        a smoth bevel, then you flip your piece and tap in the top of your margin
        until you achieve the edge you are describing. There are differant
        techniques involved by differant ppl to achieve an assortment of styles.
        Like I said, if you need some info on it, let me know and I'l slap links up
        for you.
        Good luck,
        Yoshida Takezo