Fluting on edges of Do

  • Irish_65
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002
      I have just finished cutting out the pieces for the front of my
      Do.Since it is my first attempt when I do the fluting around the
      edges of the top pieces should I heat the metal before I attempt this
      or should I do this cold.I am going to use a chisel that i have
      rounded off on a grinder and a tree stump as my base .The metal is 14
      gauge weld steel not galvinized or any thing like that since i was
      told never use any thing galvinezed if you are going to heat it
      because it releases poisonous fumes.Any tips would be greatly
      appreciated.
      Domo
      Thanks
      Dave-san
    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002
        It can be worked cold, Master Glendour does most of his fluting that way.
        Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten
        Irish_65 <irish_65@...> wrote: I have just finished cutting out the pieces for the front of my
        Do.Since it is my first attempt when I do the fluting around the
        edges of the top pieces should I heat the metal before I attempt this
        or should I do this cold.I am going to use a chisel that i have
        rounded off on a grinder and a tree stump as my base .The metal is 14
        gauge weld steel not galvinized or any thing like that since i was
        told never use any thing galvinezed if you are going to heat it
        because it releases poisonous fumes.Any tips would be greatly
        appreciated.
        Domo
        Thanks
        Dave-san

      • sengokudaimyo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2002
          --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
          > I have just finished cutting out the pieces for the front of my
          > Do.Since it is my first attempt when I do the fluting around the
          > edges of the top pieces should I heat the metal before I attempt this
          > or should I do this cold.

          Erm.... it all depends.

          Fluting?

          What exactly are you meaning, a non-linear design, or just tweaking the
          edges over, or what?

          > I am going to use a chisel that i have
          > rounded off on a grinder and a tree stump as my base .The metal is 14
          > gauge weld steel not galvinized or any thing like that since i was
          > told never use any thing galvinezed if you are going to heat it
          > because it releases poisonous fumes.Any tips would be greatly
          > appreciated.

          For a do, at 14 gg you might be over-engineering. Not that that's bad,
          of course. <G>

          Effingham
        • kujika@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2002
            I have just finished cutting out the pieces for the front of my
            > Do.Since it is my first attempt when I do the fluting around the
            > edges of the top pieces should I heat the metal before I attempt this
            > or should I do this cold.
            > I am going to use a chisel that i have
            > rounded off on a grinder and a tree stump as my base .The metal is 14
            you can do it cold but you realy do not hurt your self to anneal it (heat it up and let it cool slowly) . when you roll the edge you will be makeing the metal hard again.