Kendoist with no time needing armour!

  • SirRichTS
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
      Moshi moshi!

      OHKO!!!! Well thanks for all the help all! Now for the next
      question...

      I have no time to build my own Armour and was wondering if any of you
      would sell or trade an old set of your armour? Have a Tyranid army
      for Warhammer 40K up for grabs or a bit of cash. Where some of you
      said it would be best to start as Sword and Shield corp, I thought on
      that and desided We are Samuari, We learn as Samuari, we die as
      Samuari. Karma eh Karma eh?

      My first foray into SCA will be as Tendo Sato, the Ronin Wander and
      will go from there. Can anyone help Arm, Armour and Equip me? These
      are a few things I would like to pick up...

      Armour (Duh, I'll just wear my kendo stuff for class and formals)
      No Dachi style sword (The Japanese version of the Great sword)
      Spear
      Long and Short sword set
      Hakama and Jacket
      Maybe a overmantle

      .... All the weapons and gear of course need to be SCA Legal, I'm not
      made of money but we could work out a arrangement. As the Bushido
      says once a Samuari sets oneself on a course he must not faulter. If
      I'm going to do this I'm going all the way.

      Plus what is the name of the SCA group in Kansas City or around here?
      I need to get in touch with them. Thanks Guys.. Gomen.. Domo Arigato
      Gosimasu

      Tendo Sato (Richard Sutton)
      Ronin
    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
        The breastplate may survive, none of the rest, I am told is sufficient. In Wichita (Barony of Vatavia, where I am the Baron) we have a Japanese household. If you are interested, contact me.
        Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten
        SirRichTS <DavrosRTS@...> wrote: Hello all, I'm the new guy on the list and just wanted to ask a few
        questions....

        1) Would my standard Kendo Armour work in a SCA event?
        2) I'm from KC, are there any units around that "Go Samurai"?
        3) Where can I pick up pieces to suplement my SCA Samurai gear?
        (Kote, SCA legal shinai, etc, etc)
        4) Any advice you vets feel a newbie should have

        Thanks All

        Rich

      • Kevin Newman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
          Ohayo, Go to www.sca.org to locate the nearest group. They will likely have a loaner set that you can use until you have your own armor, Weapons are individualistic and so we make our own with our own little quirks. Everthing can be made by you but you will probably want to buy a kabuto from a reputable dealer. Bokalo's is on such and he will be at an event near there this next weekend I bellieve at WW. He will also have some armor pieces I believe.
          Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage
          SirRichTS <DavrosRTS@...> wrote: Moshi moshi!

[...]

        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
            On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, SirRichTS wrote:

            > My first foray into SCA will be as Tendo Sato, the Ronin Wander and
            > will go from there. Can anyone help Arm, Armour and Equip me? These
            > are a few things I would like to pick up...

            > Armour (Duh, I'll just wear my kendo stuff for class and formals)

            I would recommend trying that question at the armour archive
            (www.armourarchive.org). They may be able to help you find the best of
            what you're looking for.

            > No Dachi style sword (The Japanese version of the Great sword)
            > Spear
            > Long and Short sword set

            Find a rattan dealer online or near you. I believe there is someone out
            in CA who ships them across the country. Otherwise, look for someone
            nearby (your local SCA branch should be able to help you out). Look at
            www.sca.org for the marshal handbooks which will tell you what kind of
            measurements you will need.

            > Hakama and Jacket

            ??

            I would recommend starting with a kosode and hakama. Look under the
            'files' section of the Yahoo!groups page for patterns--they are fairly
            easy. Check with your local Arts and Sciences minister if you need help
            putting them together; most places I know have garb workshops at least
            once a month, if not more. Japanese garb is nice because it is basically
            rectangles, for the most part.

            > Maybe a overmantle

            After the kosode, go with a hitatare for formal wear. Maybe a kataginu
            (hitatare without the arms). For leisure wear you want a dobuku, and
            perhaps a jinbaori when you start fighting. For information on any of
            these, check out www.sengokudaimyo.com--look at the clothing section.

            > .... All the weapons and gear of course need to be SCA Legal, I'm not
            > made of money but we could work out a arrangement. As the Bushido
            > says once a Samuari sets oneself on a course he must not faulter. If
            > I'm going to do this I'm going all the way.

            Very well. If you would like assistance on any particular
            part--documenting a name, etc.--please let us know.

            > Plus what is the name of the SCA group in Kansas City or around here?
            > I need to get in touch with them. Thanks Guys.. Gomen.. Domo Arigato
            > Gosimasu

            Dou itashimashite*. (BTW, just an FYI, if you use Japanese it is usually
            a good idea to translate it also as not everybody understands Japanese).

            Go to www.sca.org for more info on local groups, as I believe someone else
            mentioned.

            Hope we are helping!

            -Ii

            *--'you're welcome'
          • Richard Sutton
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
              >I would recommend trying that question at the armour archive
              >(www.armourarchive.org). They may be able to help you find the best of
              >what you're looking for.

              This site rocks! Thanks!!!

              >Find a rattan dealer online or near you. I believe there is someone out
              >in CA who ships them across the country. Otherwise, look for someone
              >nearby (your local SCA branch should be able to help you out). Look at
              >www.sca.org for the marshal handbooks which will tell you what kind of
              >measurements you will need.

              Check Will Do!

              >I would recommend starting with a kosode and hakama. Look under the
              >'files' section of the Yahoo!groups page for patterns--they are fairly
              >easy. Check with your local Arts and Sciences minister if you need >help
              >putting them together; most places I know have garb workshops at >least
              >once a month, if not more. Japanese garb is nice because it is >basically
              >rectangles, for the most part.
              >

              >After the kosode, go with a hitatare for formal wear. Maybe a kataginu
              >(hitatare without the arms). For leisure wear you want a dobuku, and
              >perhaps a jinbaori when you start fighting. For information on any of
              >these, check out www.sengokudaimyo.com--look at the clothing section.

              Okay, will Do. I'm not good at sewing so will have to find help who will
              work for coins of the realm! A shopping I will go it seems!
              www.sengokudaimyo.com Seems to be the site everone is sending me too! It
              works very well, Domo! Great Site...

              >Very well. If you would like assistance on any particular
              >part--documenting a name, etc.--please let us know.

              Wow BIG THANKS for this, I have no idea where to start in doing the
              documentation. Where does one start? I'm thinking Starting as Ronin was the
              best way to go, how else historicily could I explain why I'm in Europe? Any
              help would be Great!

              >Dou itashimashite*. (BTW, just an FYI, if you use Japanese it is usually
              >a good idea to translate it also as not everybody understands Japanese).

              Cool, So on the field do We speak "Brokin Engrish" or just plain old English
              peppered with "Hai" and other snippits and bits of Nipon-go?

              Dou itashimashite*

              Tendo Sato

              (*Here's that translation for the gaijin.. Thank You ;-} )

            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
                On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Richard Sutton wrote:

                > >Very well. If you would like assistance on any particular
                > >part--documenting a name, etc.--please let us know.
                >
                > Wow BIG THANKS for this, I have no idea where to start in doing the
                > documentation. Where does one start? I'm thinking Starting as Ronin was the
                > best way to go, how else historicily could I explain why I'm in Europe? Any
                > help would be Great!

                Well, most of us don't try to explain it. I always like Fujiwara no
                Aoi-hime's explanation--I got on an oxcart, and when I got off, here I
                was! Remember, the Knowne World is not Europe--it is the stage for our
                performances.

                Now, if someone does require an explanation, we do know that Europeans
                contacted Japanese persons in India, at least, (I believe that Francis
                Xavier was urged to go to Japan by a Japanese convert in India) and there
                was an envoy of young nobles sent to Rome right on the cusp of the 17th
                Century (IIRC, they left to go find out more about Catholicism, and came
                back to find that Christianity had been banned). That isn't so good an
                excuse, though, because we know all the names of these individuals and its
                not like you could easily sneak into the party. Furthermore, it is of no
                help unless you want to play only in the tail end of the period, and there
                is so much fun to be had earlier on!

                So, just dig up a Japanese history and have fun. If the SCA ever decides
                to kick us out completely (and there are vampires, kitsune, Tuchux, and
                cavaliers to get through first) then we will see if we can't just form our
                shinobi society--all the Japanese personae acting like perfectly normal
                Englishmen, at least on the outside...

                I would recommend not going the ronin route. This is mainly because being
                a ronin was NOT the romantic thing it is made out to be today. The word
                'samurai' comes from 'saburau', meaning 'to serve'. And a servant who's
                not serving... but that's another song.

                Instead, how about marketing yourself as a bushi? A member of the
                buke--the warrior houses. The bushi were the samurai, and found work in
                the service of others--even the Shogun was technically just serving the
                August being. As soon as you find out who your local baron and/or
                baroness are go ahead and offer your service (or through a local
                household, etc.) Sure, most will just nod politely and let you go on with
                what you're doing. At the same time, I find little more enjoyable than
                attending upon someone at an event--follow along just behind them (unless
                it is your job to clear the road) and make sure that they are not lacking
                for anything--run errands if need be, interpose yourself should there be
                any chance of harm, and at other times, be as unobtrusive as
                possible--preferrably down on one knee. Watch a lot of samurai movies and
                notice all the bowing and scraping that takes place (at the same time it
                is also interesting to notice when it doesn't take place as well...)

                On the subject of a name--well, sengokudaimyo.com has all the basics.
                Look at the miscellany, IIRC, under the heraldry section. There should be
                a bit in there about names, about titles, and about mon. Generally
                speaking, however, there are three parts that are important:

                Family name -- this is your 'first' name in most cases. It is how you
                will be called unless there is another member of your family present
                (actually, I believe it would be more appropriate to call someone by their
                title, but that is hard since many people in the SCA don't even have a
                supernumary position). For me, my family is 'Ii' and so that is how I am
                called.

                Common Name (YOBINA) -- This is a common name, and is generally used to
                call you only by those who are intimate with you. Often this is a name
                based on your birth order such as Ichirou, Jirou, Saburou, etc. (1st son,
                2nd son, 3rd son, etc.). I am 'Saburou', which implies that I was the
                third son. Occassionally there is something prepended to this name--I
                could have been 'Isaburou', but that would have come out as Ii Isaburou
                and I didn't want to confuse people too much.

                Famous Name (Nanori) -- This is the name under which your deeds will be
                recorded. It is a name which changes a lot in the life of a bushi, it
                would seem. In the "Heike Monogatari" you see a change take place in
                several different chapters. It is usually two characters, each of two
                syllables and read with the Japanese (as opposed to the 'Chinese')
                reading. Names like Yoshimitsu, Hideyoshi, Naomasa, Ieyasu, Nobunaga,
                Shigemori--to name a few. Don't worry about this name just yet. The most
                important part is the family name.

                You were talking about taking the name Tendo Sato. As in Tendou Soun?
                Satou and Tendou are both family names in the cases I've seen them--that
                doesn't mean they weren't used as common names as well. I'm not sure that
                I can remember seeing either one in period off the top of my head. I will
                keep my eyes out. My gut tells me to go with Satou as the safe bet,
                however, since I know that it is a common modern family name, whereas I've
                only seen Tendou on the tv.

                Not sure if I've been any help or just muddled the situation. As it is
                growing late it is hard to tell.

                > >Dou itashimashite*. (BTW, just an FYI, if you use Japanese it is usually
                > >a good idea to translate it also as not everybody understands Japanese).
                >
                > Cool, So on the field do We speak "Brokin Engrish" or just plain old English
                > peppered with "Hai" and other snippits and bits of Nipon-go?

                That depends on a) how good is your Japanese and b) how much do you want
                people to understand you. As an example, I was the herald for her
                Excellency, Johanna of Storvik at the recent Novice Tourney. Instead of
                'Oyez! Oyez!' I shouted 'Minasama wo KIKE!' ('Everbody listen!') and then
                went on in English. Likewise, I have been known to issue challenges to an
                opponent in Japanese before a bout as flair. That is because I don't care
                if people understand such things; they get the gist of it. Answering the
                questions of a servant bringing you food at feast in Japanese might mean
                you go hungry, however...

                -Ii
              • Richard Sutton
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
                  >Well, most of us don't try to explain it. I always like Fujiwara no
                  >Aoi-hime's explanation--I got on an oxcart, and when I got off, here I
                  >was! Remember, the Knowne World is not Europe--it is the stage for our
                  >performances.

                  ~nods liking the "Oxcart Explanation~ Hmmmmmmm Deep!

                  >So, just dig up a Japanese history and have fun. If the SCA ever >decides
                  >to kick us out completely (and there are vampires, kitsune, >Tuchux, and
                  >cavaliers to get through first) then we will see if we >can't just form our
                  >shinobi society--all the Japanese personae acting >like perfectly normal
                  >Englishmen, at least on the outside...

                  Alright!!! IMA IMA!!! Time to go wack me a Scot!!!! ICHI-BAN!!!

                  >I would recommend not going the ronin route. This is mainly because >being
                  >a ronin was NOT the romantic thing it is made out to be today. >The word
                  >'samurai' comes from 'saburau', meaning 'to serve'. And a >servant who's
                  >not serving... but that's another song.

                  Good Point...

                  >Instead, how about marketing yourself as a bushi? A member of the
                  >buke--the warrior houses. The bushi were the samurai, and found work >in
                  >the service of others--even the Shogun was technically just serving >the
                  >August being. As soon as you find out who your local baron and/or
                  >baroness are go ahead and offer your service (or through a local
                  >household, etc.) Sure, most will just nod politely and let you go on >with
                  >what you're doing. At the same time, I find little more >enjoyable than
                  >attending upon someone at an event--follow along just >behind them (unless
                  >it is your job to clear the road) and make sure >that they are not lacking
                  >for anything--run errands if need be, >interpose yourself should there be
                  >any chance of harm, and at other >times, be as unobtrusive as
                  >possible--preferrably down on one knee. >Watch a lot of samurai movies and
                  >notice all the bowing and scraping >that takes place (at the same time it
                  >is also interesting to notice >when it doesn't take place as well...)

                  Bushi is a better thought. Domo, now serving a Baron would be something
                  different. Great so I'll get to spend a wad of cash to equip up to become a
                  Errandboy (J/K). Well time to start a movie night of Shogun(the long
                  version) and a stack of Kirwasorwa films ~LOL~ Break out the Sake and Tuna
                  Rolls!!!

                  >You were talking about taking the name Tendo Sato. As in Tendou Soun?
                  >Satou and Tendou are both family names in the cases I've seen them--that
                  >doesn't mean they weren't used as common names as well. I'm not >sure that
                  >I can remember seeing either one in period off the top of my >head. I will
                  >keep my eyes out. My gut tells me to go with Satou as >the safe bet,
                  >however, since I know that it is a common modern family >name, whereas I've
                  >only seen Tendou on the tv.

                  Okay, the reason I picked Sato was because that was what I was called in my
                  Japanese class, and as for Tendo...well... My wife picked that cause she is
                  a Ranma fan ~LOL~. So now I got to find a family name, and a Honorrific
                  name. Got it.. Thanks for keeping your eyes open and the help!

                  >Not sure if I've been any help or just muddled the situation. As it is
                  >growing late it is hard to tell.

                  Helped Alot! Thank you again!

                  >That depends on a) how good is your Japanese and b) how much do you >want
                  >people to understand you. As an example, I was the herald for her
                  >Excellency, Johanna of Storvik at the recent Novice Tourney. Instead of
                  >'Oyez! Oyez!' I shouted 'Minasama wo KIKE!' ('Everbody listen!') and >then
                  >went on in English. Likewise, I have been known to issue >challenges to an
                  >opponent in Japanese before a bout as flair. That is >because I don't care
                  >if people understand such things; they get the >gist of it. Answering the
                  >questions of a servant bringing you food at >feast in Japanese might mean
                  >you go hungry, however...

                  Well my Japanese is So-so but I know enough to be basic and use it for
                  flair, That would be a cool psych-out before a dual. Thanks! and "Engrish"
                  WILL be used when food is envolved! Now when I do a Cho-noh-yo or cook "Real
                  Food" in camp is a whole other story! Thanks again for all your help!

                  Sato: The Bushi in Creation

                • vodican
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2002
                    I have a set of armour i am willing to part with. At the bottom i
                    have posted a link to it. The do is about 3 years old. It can be
                    resized with little work. I also make these as a part time deal. I
                    charge $75 to $150 for the do. depending on the amount of lacing you
                    wish to have. I have a good sorce for the plastic barrels (white,
                    black, green, blue). I am willing to part with this one. We can
                    barter a deal if you are interested. I can also tell you how to make
                    sca legal sunate and a elbow that is low profile and hides very will
                    under armour.

                    in service to the crowns of atlantia
                    Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ryu no Kyoto no Kami

                    here are the links:
                    my main page www.geocities.com/vodican
                    http://www.geocities.com/vodican/yoshi2swd2.jpg
                    http://www.geocities.com/vodican/yoshiGS2.jpg
                    http://www.geocities.com/vodican/yoshiGS.jpg
                  • tadatsune
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
                      > Well my Japanese is So-so but I know enough to be basic and use it
                      for
                      > flair, That would be a cool psych-out before a dual. Thanks!
                      and "Engrish"
                      > WILL be used when food is envolved! Now when I do a Cho-noh-yo or
                      cook "Real
                      > Food" in camp is a whole other story! Thanks again for all your
                      help!

                      > Sato: The Bushi in Creation

                      If you are really good at Engrish.... Come to Karaoke night at Clan
                      Yama Kaminari on the last Fri of Pennsic. Hachirou is a hoot getting
                      all the Gajin singing in a bad Japanese accent with Feeeeling.

                      Hidesada Tadatsune
                      Retainer to Katurua Hachirou Arahito
                      House Ni Yama
                      Clan Yama Kaminari
                      http://www.geocities.com/Tadatsune

                      (under the 20 ft banners seen from Troll)
                    • Ii Saburou
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
                        On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, tadatsune wrote:

                        > If you are really good at Engrish.... Come to Karaoke night at Clan
                        > Yama Kaminari on the last Fri of Pennsic. Hachirou is a hoot getting
                        > all the Gajin singing in a bad Japanese accent with Feeeeling.

                        Don't you mean 'Fui-ringu!'*

                        -Ii Nigerou

                        *Nashin' moa zan, fui-ringu!
                      • Richard Sutton
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
                          Well not this year for Pennsic, I need to finish getting everything in
                          place... but next year ~Evil Smile~