Re: [SCA-JML] Kendoist wanting to get more practice...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
      On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, SirRichTS wrote:

      > Hello all, I'm the new guy on the list and just wanted to ask a few
      > questions....

      Go ahead, that's what this list is for! Before I go on, let me introduce
      myself. I am Ii Saburou Katsumori, in the Barony of Steirbach, Kingdom of
      Atlantia.

      > 1) Would my standard Kendo Armour work in a SCA event?

      No. Kendo armor isn't (and never was) meant to stand up to the type of
      punishment that SCA combat produces. Furthermore, it is meant to protect
      selected targets from people who have been trained to hit them with bamboo
      shinai. Thus, it leaves the back of your head open (not good if someone
      throws a rap) leaves your elbows unprotected (not to bad v. shinai, but
      terribly dangerous agains wooden clubs), and the legs are an afterthought.
      I'm not even sure that the do would be decent protection for the kidneys
      as most I've seen don't cover it enough to my satisfaction.

      If you want to fight in the SCA, I recommend looking into getting your own
      set of armor. It is expensive, but can cost less than the full kendo
      gear.

      > 3) Where can I pick up pieces to suplement my SCA Samurai gear?
      > (Kote, SCA legal shinai, etc, etc)

      Well, as far as shinai goes, I'm not sure what the rules are for shinai
      combat in your area. The three main types of fighting in the SCA --
      heavy, rapier, and shinai (well, I know some places also have boffer for
      children) -- each have their own rules and requirements. Check with your
      local marshal for advice on what is good for each.

      > 4) Any advice you vets feel a newbie should have

      I'm hardly a vet, but I can think of a few things.

      First off, have fun. This is a hobby, and if you aren't having fun, you
      should be doing something that you do enjoy. Also, don't be discouraged.
      Some people have a tendancy to look down on Japanese personae as outside
      of the game. If you need help, this list is a great place to come.

      On fighting, be aware that kendo--even batto--is a far cry from what goes
      on here. For one, the bushi didn't have to worry about western shields,
      and kendo doesn't really teach you how to attack a shields. I recommend
      you at least play with a shield for a little bit, whatever weapon you
      eventually take up. Don't be discouraged, but realize that kendo and sca
      combat are two different arts with different foci and thus there are
      different manners of moving. I've been learning that the hard way for a
      while, although I also started SCA just a little bit before starting
      kendo, which may have helped.

      Oh, and did I mention you should try to have fun.

      -Ii
    • SirRichTS
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
        Moshi moshi!

        OHKO!!!! Well thanks for all the help all! Now for the next
        question...

        I have no time to build my own Armour and was wondering if any of you
        would sell or trade an old set of your armour? Have a Tyranid army
        for Warhammer 40K up for grabs or a bit of cash. Where some of you
        said it would be best to start as Sword and Shield corp, I thought on
        that and desided We are Samuari, We learn as Samuari, we die as
        Samuari. Karma eh Karma eh?

        My first foray into SCA will be as Tendo Sato, the Ronin Wander and
        will go from there. Can anyone help Arm, Armour and Equip me? These
        are a few things I would like to pick up...

        Armour (Duh, I'll just wear my kendo stuff for class and formals)
        No Dachi style sword (The Japanese version of the Great sword)
        Spear
        Long and Short sword set
        Hakama and Jacket
        Maybe a overmantle

        .... All the weapons and gear of course need to be SCA Legal, I'm not
        made of money but we could work out a arrangement. As the Bushido
        says once a Samuari sets oneself on a course he must not faulter. If
        I'm going to do this I'm going all the way.

        Plus what is the name of the SCA group in Kansas City or around here?
        I need to get in touch with them. Thanks Guys.. Gomen.. Domo Arigato
        Gosimasu

        Tendo Sato (Richard Sutton)
        Ronin
      • Park McKellop
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
          The breastplate may survive, none of the rest, I am told is sufficient. In Wichita (Barony of Vatavia, where I am the Baron) we have a Japanese household. If you are interested, contact me.
          Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten
          SirRichTS <DavrosRTS@...> wrote: Hello all, I'm the new guy on the list and just wanted to ask a few
          questions....

          1) Would my standard Kendo Armour work in a SCA event?
          2) I'm from KC, are there any units around that "Go Samurai"?
          3) Where can I pick up pieces to suplement my SCA Samurai gear?
          (Kote, SCA legal shinai, etc, etc)
          4) Any advice you vets feel a newbie should have

          Thanks All

          Rich

        • Kevin Newman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
            Ohayo, Go to www.sca.org to locate the nearest group. They will likely have a loaner set that you can use until you have your own armor, Weapons are individualistic and so we make our own with our own little quirks. Everthing can be made by you but you will probably want to buy a kabuto from a reputable dealer. Bokalo's is on such and he will be at an event near there this next weekend I bellieve at WW. He will also have some armor pieces I believe.
            Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage
            SirRichTS <DavrosRTS@...> wrote: Moshi moshi!

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
              On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, SirRichTS wrote:

              > My first foray into SCA will be as Tendo Sato, the Ronin Wander and
              > will go from there. Can anyone help Arm, Armour and Equip me? These
              > are a few things I would like to pick up...

              > Armour (Duh, I'll just wear my kendo stuff for class and formals)

              I would recommend trying that question at the armour archive
              (www.armourarchive.org). They may be able to help you find the best of
              what you're looking for.

              > No Dachi style sword (The Japanese version of the Great sword)
              > Spear
              > Long and Short sword set

              Find a rattan dealer online or near you. I believe there is someone out
              in CA who ships them across the country. Otherwise, look for someone
              nearby (your local SCA branch should be able to help you out). Look at
              www.sca.org for the marshal handbooks which will tell you what kind of
              measurements you will need.

              > Hakama and Jacket

              ??

              I would recommend starting with a kosode and hakama. Look under the
              'files' section of the Yahoo!groups page for patterns--they are fairly
              easy. Check with your local Arts and Sciences minister if you need help
              putting them together; most places I know have garb workshops at least
              once a month, if not more. Japanese garb is nice because it is basically
              rectangles, for the most part.

              > Maybe a overmantle

              After the kosode, go with a hitatare for formal wear. Maybe a kataginu
              (hitatare without the arms). For leisure wear you want a dobuku, and
              perhaps a jinbaori when you start fighting. For information on any of
              these, check out www.sengokudaimyo.com--look at the clothing section.

              > .... All the weapons and gear of course need to be SCA Legal, I'm not
              > made of money but we could work out a arrangement. As the Bushido
              > says once a Samuari sets oneself on a course he must not faulter. If
              > I'm going to do this I'm going all the way.

              Very well. If you would like assistance on any particular
              part--documenting a name, etc.--please let us know.

              > Plus what is the name of the SCA group in Kansas City or around here?
              > I need to get in touch with them. Thanks Guys.. Gomen.. Domo Arigato
              > Gosimasu

              Dou itashimashite*. (BTW, just an FYI, if you use Japanese it is usually
              a good idea to translate it also as not everybody understands Japanese).

              Go to www.sca.org for more info on local groups, as I believe someone else
              mentioned.

              Hope we are helping!

              -Ii

              *--'you're welcome'
            • Richard Sutton
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
                >I would recommend trying that question at the armour archive
                >(www.armourarchive.org). They may be able to help you find the best of
                >what you're looking for.

                This site rocks! Thanks!!!

                >Find a rattan dealer online or near you. I believe there is someone out
                >in CA who ships them across the country. Otherwise, look for someone
                >nearby (your local SCA branch should be able to help you out). Look at
                >www.sca.org for the marshal handbooks which will tell you what kind of
                >measurements you will need.

                Check Will Do!

                >I would recommend starting with a kosode and hakama. Look under the
                >'files' section of the Yahoo!groups page for patterns--they are fairly
                >easy. Check with your local Arts and Sciences minister if you need >help
                >putting them together; most places I know have garb workshops at >least
                >once a month, if not more. Japanese garb is nice because it is >basically
                >rectangles, for the most part.
                >

                >After the kosode, go with a hitatare for formal wear. Maybe a kataginu
                >(hitatare without the arms). For leisure wear you want a dobuku, and
                >perhaps a jinbaori when you start fighting. For information on any of
                >these, check out www.sengokudaimyo.com--look at the clothing section.

                Okay, will Do. I'm not good at sewing so will have to find help who will
                work for coins of the realm! A shopping I will go it seems!
                www.sengokudaimyo.com Seems to be the site everone is sending me too! It
                works very well, Domo! Great Site...

                >Very well. If you would like assistance on any particular
                >part--documenting a name, etc.--please let us know.

                Wow BIG THANKS for this, I have no idea where to start in doing the
                documentation. Where does one start? I'm thinking Starting as Ronin was the
                best way to go, how else historicily could I explain why I'm in Europe? Any
                help would be Great!

                >Dou itashimashite*. (BTW, just an FYI, if you use Japanese it is usually
                >a good idea to translate it also as not everybody understands Japanese).

                Cool, So on the field do We speak "Brokin Engrish" or just plain old English
                peppered with "Hai" and other snippits and bits of Nipon-go?

                Dou itashimashite*

                Tendo Sato

                (*Here's that translation for the gaijin.. Thank You ;-} )

              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
                  On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Richard Sutton wrote:

                  > >Very well. If you would like assistance on any particular
                  > >part--documenting a name, etc.--please let us know.
                  >
                  > Wow BIG THANKS for this, I have no idea where to start in doing the
                  > documentation. Where does one start? I'm thinking Starting as Ronin was the
                  > best way to go, how else historicily could I explain why I'm in Europe? Any
                  > help would be Great!

                  Well, most of us don't try to explain it. I always like Fujiwara no
                  Aoi-hime's explanation--I got on an oxcart, and when I got off, here I
                  was! Remember, the Knowne World is not Europe--it is the stage for our
                  performances.

                  Now, if someone does require an explanation, we do know that Europeans
                  contacted Japanese persons in India, at least, (I believe that Francis
                  Xavier was urged to go to Japan by a Japanese convert in India) and there
                  was an envoy of young nobles sent to Rome right on the cusp of the 17th
                  Century (IIRC, they left to go find out more about Catholicism, and came
                  back to find that Christianity had been banned). That isn't so good an
                  excuse, though, because we know all the names of these individuals and its
                  not like you could easily sneak into the party. Furthermore, it is of no
                  help unless you want to play only in the tail end of the period, and there
                  is so much fun to be had earlier on!

                  So, just dig up a Japanese history and have fun. If the SCA ever decides
                  to kick us out completely (and there are vampires, kitsune, Tuchux, and
                  cavaliers to get through first) then we will see if we can't just form our
                  shinobi society--all the Japanese personae acting like perfectly normal
                  Englishmen, at least on the outside...

                  I would recommend not going the ronin route. This is mainly because being
                  a ronin was NOT the romantic thing it is made out to be today. The word
                  'samurai' comes from 'saburau', meaning 'to serve'. And a servant who's
                  not serving... but that's another song.

                  Instead, how about marketing yourself as a bushi? A member of the
                  buke--the warrior houses. The bushi were the samurai, and found work in
                  the service of others--even the Shogun was technically just serving the
                  August being. As soon as you find out who your local baron and/or
                  baroness are go ahead and offer your service (or through a local
                  household, etc.) Sure, most will just nod politely and let you go on with
                  what you're doing. At the same time, I find little more enjoyable than
                  attending upon someone at an event--follow along just behind them (unless
                  it is your job to clear the road) and make sure that they are not lacking
                  for anything--run errands if need be, interpose yourself should there be
                  any chance of harm, and at other times, be as unobtrusive as
                  possible--preferrably down on one knee. Watch a lot of samurai movies and
                  notice all the bowing and scraping that takes place (at the same time it
                  is also interesting to notice when it doesn't take place as well...)

                  On the subject of a name--well, sengokudaimyo.com has all the basics.
                  Look at the miscellany, IIRC, under the heraldry section. There should be
                  a bit in there about names, about titles, and about mon. Generally
                  speaking, however, there are three parts that are important:

                  Family name -- this is your 'first' name in most cases. It is how you
                  will be called unless there is another member of your family present
                  (actually, I believe it would be more appropriate to call someone by their
                  title, but that is hard since many people in the SCA don't even have a
                  supernumary position). For me, my family is 'Ii' and so that is how I am
                  called.

                  Common Name (YOBINA) -- This is a common name, and is generally used to
                  call you only by those who are intimate with you. Often this is a name
                  based on your birth order such as Ichirou, Jirou, Saburou, etc. (1st son,
                  2nd son, 3rd son, etc.). I am 'Saburou', which implies that I was the
                  third son. Occassionally there is something prepended to this name--I
                  could have been 'Isaburou', but that would have come out as Ii Isaburou
                  and I didn't want to confuse people too much.

                  Famous Name (Nanori) -- This is the name under which your deeds will be
                  recorded. It is a name which changes a lot in the life of a bushi, it
                  would seem. In the "Heike Monogatari" you see a change take place in
                  several different chapters. It is usually two characters, each of two
                  syllables and read with the Japanese (as opposed to the 'Chinese')
                  reading. Names like Yoshimitsu, Hideyoshi, Naomasa, Ieyasu, Nobunaga,
                  Shigemori--to name a few. Don't worry about this name just yet. The most
                  important part is the family name.

                  You were talking about taking the name Tendo Sato. As in Tendou Soun?
                  Satou and Tendou are both family names in the cases I've seen them--that
                  doesn't mean they weren't used as common names as well. I'm not sure that
                  I can remember seeing either one in period off the top of my head. I will
                  keep my eyes out. My gut tells me to go with Satou as the safe bet,
                  however, since I know that it is a common modern family name, whereas I've
                  only seen Tendou on the tv.

                  Not sure if I've been any help or just muddled the situation. As it is
                  growing late it is hard to tell.

                  > >Dou itashimashite*. (BTW, just an FYI, if you use Japanese it is usually
                  > >a good idea to translate it also as not everybody understands Japanese).
                  >
                  > Cool, So on the field do We speak "Brokin Engrish" or just plain old English
                  > peppered with "Hai" and other snippits and bits of Nipon-go?

                  That depends on a) how good is your Japanese and b) how much do you want
                  people to understand you. As an example, I was the herald for her
                  Excellency, Johanna of Storvik at the recent Novice Tourney. Instead of
                  'Oyez! Oyez!' I shouted 'Minasama wo KIKE!' ('Everbody listen!') and then
                  went on in English. Likewise, I have been known to issue challenges to an
                  opponent in Japanese before a bout as flair. That is because I don't care
                  if people understand such things; they get the gist of it. Answering the
                  questions of a servant bringing you food at feast in Japanese might mean
                  you go hungry, however...

                  -Ii
                • Richard Sutton
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 7, 2002
                    >Well, most of us don't try to explain it. I always like Fujiwara no
                    >Aoi-hime's explanation--I got on an oxcart, and when I got off, here I
                    >was! Remember, the Knowne World is not Europe--it is the stage for our
                    >performances.

                    ~nods liking the "Oxcart Explanation~ Hmmmmmmm Deep!

                    >So, just dig up a Japanese history and have fun. If the SCA ever >decides
                    >to kick us out completely (and there are vampires, kitsune, >Tuchux, and
                    >cavaliers to get through first) then we will see if we >can't just form our
                    >shinobi society--all the Japanese personae acting >like perfectly normal
                    >Englishmen, at least on the outside...

                    Alright!!! IMA IMA!!! Time to go wack me a Scot!!!! ICHI-BAN!!!

                    >I would recommend not going the ronin route. This is mainly because >being
                    >a ronin was NOT the romantic thing it is made out to be today. >The word
                    >'samurai' comes from 'saburau', meaning 'to serve'. And a >servant who's
                    >not serving... but that's another song.

                    Good Point...

                    >Instead, how about marketing yourself as a bushi? A member of the
                    >buke--the warrior houses. The bushi were the samurai, and found work >in
                    >the service of others--even the Shogun was technically just serving >the
                    >August being. As soon as you find out who your local baron and/or
                    >baroness are go ahead and offer your service (or through a local
                    >household, etc.) Sure, most will just nod politely and let you go on >with
                    >what you're doing. At the same time, I find little more >enjoyable than
                    >attending upon someone at an event--follow along just >behind them (unless
                    >it is your job to clear the road) and make sure >that they are not lacking
                    >for anything--run errands if need be, >interpose yourself should there be
                    >any chance of harm, and at other >times, be as unobtrusive as
                    >possible--preferrably down on one knee. >Watch a lot of samurai movies and
                    >notice all the bowing and scraping >that takes place (at the same time it
                    >is also interesting to notice >when it doesn't take place as well...)

                    Bushi is a better thought. Domo, now serving a Baron would be something
                    different. Great so I'll get to spend a wad of cash to equip up to become a
                    Errandboy (J/K). Well time to start a movie night of Shogun(the long
                    version) and a stack of Kirwasorwa films ~LOL~ Break out the Sake and Tuna
                    Rolls!!!

                    >You were talking about taking the name Tendo Sato. As in Tendou Soun?
                    >Satou and Tendou are both family names in the cases I've seen them--that
                    >doesn't mean they weren't used as common names as well. I'm not >sure that
                    >I can remember seeing either one in period off the top of my >head. I will
                    >keep my eyes out. My gut tells me to go with Satou as >the safe bet,
                    >however, since I know that it is a common modern family >name, whereas I've
                    >only seen Tendou on the tv.

                    Okay, the reason I picked Sato was because that was what I was called in my
                    Japanese class, and as for Tendo...well... My wife picked that cause she is
                    a Ranma fan ~LOL~. So now I got to find a family name, and a Honorrific
                    name. Got it.. Thanks for keeping your eyes open and the help!

                    >Not sure if I've been any help or just muddled the situation. As it is
                    >growing late it is hard to tell.

                    Helped Alot! Thank you again!

                    >That depends on a) how good is your Japanese and b) how much do you >want
                    >people to understand you. As an example, I was the herald for her
                    >Excellency, Johanna of Storvik at the recent Novice Tourney. Instead of
                    >'Oyez! Oyez!' I shouted 'Minasama wo KIKE!' ('Everbody listen!') and >then
                    >went on in English. Likewise, I have been known to issue >challenges to an
                    >opponent in Japanese before a bout as flair. That is >because I don't care
                    >if people understand such things; they get the >gist of it. Answering the
                    >questions of a servant bringing you food at >feast in Japanese might mean
                    >you go hungry, however...

                    Well my Japanese is So-so but I know enough to be basic and use it for
                    flair, That would be a cool psych-out before a dual. Thanks! and "Engrish"
                    WILL be used when food is envolved! Now when I do a Cho-noh-yo or cook "Real
                    Food" in camp is a whole other story! Thanks again for all your help!

                    Sato: The Bushi in Creation

                  • vodican
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 8, 2002
                      I have a set of armour i am willing to part with. At the bottom i
                      have posted a link to it. The do is about 3 years old. It can be
                      resized with little work. I also make these as a part time deal. I
                      charge $75 to $150 for the do. depending on the amount of lacing you
                      wish to have. I have a good sorce for the plastic barrels (white,
                      black, green, blue). I am willing to part with this one. We can
                      barter a deal if you are interested. I can also tell you how to make
                      sca legal sunate and a elbow that is low profile and hides very will
                      under armour.

                      in service to the crowns of atlantia
                      Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ryu no Kyoto no Kami

                      here are the links:
                      my main page www.geocities.com/vodican
                      http://www.geocities.com/vodican/yoshi2swd2.jpg
                      http://www.geocities.com/vodican/yoshiGS2.jpg
                      http://www.geocities.com/vodican/yoshiGS.jpg
                    • tadatsune
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
                        > Well my Japanese is So-so but I know enough to be basic and use it
                        for
                        > flair, That would be a cool psych-out before a dual. Thanks!
                        and "Engrish"
                        > WILL be used when food is envolved! Now when I do a Cho-noh-yo or
                        cook "Real
                        > Food" in camp is a whole other story! Thanks again for all your
                        help!

                        > Sato: The Bushi in Creation

                        If you are really good at Engrish.... Come to Karaoke night at Clan
                        Yama Kaminari on the last Fri of Pennsic. Hachirou is a hoot getting
                        all the Gajin singing in a bad Japanese accent with Feeeeling.

                        Hidesada Tadatsune
                        Retainer to Katurua Hachirou Arahito
                        House Ni Yama
                        Clan Yama Kaminari
                        http://www.geocities.com/Tadatsune

                        (under the 20 ft banners seen from Troll)
                      • Ii Saburou
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
                          On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, tadatsune wrote:

                          > If you are really good at Engrish.... Come to Karaoke night at Clan
                          > Yama Kaminari on the last Fri of Pennsic. Hachirou is a hoot getting
                          > all the Gajin singing in a bad Japanese accent with Feeeeling.

                          Don't you mean 'Fui-ringu!'*

                          -Ii Nigerou

                          *Nashin' moa zan, fui-ringu!
                        • Richard Sutton
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
                            Well not this year for Pennsic, I need to finish getting everything in
                            place... but next year ~Evil Smile~