Re: [SCA-JML] help a newbee?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
      On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Ron Martino wrote:

      > I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
      > 'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
      > 'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
      > folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
      > titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
      > College cobbled together.

      For several reasons.

      A) I would like to see the 'official' site for such things reflect a
      better system. That way people can start off on the right foot instead of
      getting confused when they find that the 'authorities' aren't always
      correct.

      B) It helps to have it so that people who don't have access (or at least
      don't know they have access) to local experts are started in the right
      direction.

      C) I would like it so that I can write a proper report and include proper
      titles without the fear of someone jumping down my throat for using
      'improper' titles.

      > So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
      > straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
      > College can follow...

      Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
      lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

      Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
      actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
      discussion.

      -Ii
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
        > Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
        > lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

        Unfortunately, in my experience members of the College are taking the
        attitude that it's better to have a screwed up system than no system at
        all. I've explained to members that the current list is way wrong, but
        they won't make any effort to change it without something else to put in
        its place.

        Apparently it's better to be wrong than silent.

        > Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
        > actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
        > discussion.
        >
        > -Ii

        Now that problem will never be fixed. We're just screwed...

        Yumitori

        must preside at our assemblies.
        William O. Douglas

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
          Sounds like a plan to me.....

          Kiri (former member of said institution!!!)
          I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
          'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
          'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
          folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
          titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
          College cobbled together.

          Others from similarly 'obscure' cultures do the same with their titles
          - the Polish knight uses a polish title instead of 'sir', same with the
          German duke, the Norse folks and so forth. Some of the titles used are
          from the College lists, but some are not, if a more accurate usage
          exists.

          So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
          straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
          College can follow...

          Yumitori

          must preside at our assemblies.
          William O. Douglas

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
            And....should you be going to Pennsic, there are all sorts of wonderful Japanese culture/persona classes being taught at the Yama Kaminari encampment!!

            Kiri
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
              Or the fact that "Master" and "Mistress" were titles used by the middle class and certainly did not indicate any kind of peerage!!! But that argument went down the tubes several years back when they refused to allow Laurels and Pelicans be termed "Knights of the Laurel", etc. The only positive thing that came out of that one was allowing women to be called "Dame".

              Kiri
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                Koniciwa!

                Just wanted to point out that tonite 7-2-02 on AMC

                6:00 Est and repeating 2 hours later:

                'Bruce Lee: warrior's journey'

                Very fascinating. Hope you all get to see it.

                Tochiro of clan Takeda

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • vodican
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 4, 2002
                  I am also from atlantia. being you are prior marine you should know
                  where i am, camp lejeune (jacksonville nc). There are very few asian
                  personas here in the middle of the kingdom. I ussually go to events
                  where i am the only asian persona there. I get lots of looks though
                  (i am very proud of my armour). I have done lots of reaserch and am
                  willing to help when ever i can.

                  For those who are interested in putting on a japenese themed event
                  let me know and i will be glad to help. I am not going to be able to
                  make pensic but i am making plans for kingdom crusades in october. I
                  hope to see some of you there.

                  Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                  asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.

                  I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                  please e-mail me.

                  domo
                  Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ryu no Kyoto
                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 4, 2002
                    On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                    > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                    > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                    >
                    > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                    > please e-mail me.

                    Kyudo gear for:
                    1) Kyudo
                    2) SCA Archery
                    OR
                    3) SCA Combat Archery?

                    I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA Budokai.
                    In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to hosted,
                    IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to Asahi
                    America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of assistance.

                    -Ii
                  • vodican
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                      I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                      as posibble.
                      domo
                      yoshi

                      > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                      >
                      > > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                      > > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                      > >
                      > > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on
                      this
                      > > please e-mail me.
                      >
                      > Kyudo gear for:
                      > 1) Kyudo
                      > 2) SCA Archery
                      > OR
                      > 3) SCA Combat Archery?
                      >
                      > I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA
                      Budokai.
                      > In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to
                      hosted,
                      > IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to
                      Asahi
                      > America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of
                      assistance.

                      > -Ii
                    • Don Luby
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                        On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                        > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                        > as posibble.

                        For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                        Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                        hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                        shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                        combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                        we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                        Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                        at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                        > domo
                        > yoshi

                        Koredono

                        Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                        djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                      • Kevin Newman
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                          Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                          Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                          Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:

                          On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                          > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                          > as posibble.

                          For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                          Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                          hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                          shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                          combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                          we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                          Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                          at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                          > domo
                          > yoshi

                          Koredono

                        • dateyukiie
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 6, 2002
                            --- In sca-jml@y..., Kevin Newman <shadow4549@y...> wrote:

                            > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would
                            greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I
                            have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite
                            expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                            > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.

                            Konnichi wa tomodachi,
                            Perhaps this info would be usefull it is Yumi's contact info.
                            Jaap & Kay Koppedrayer
                            94 Mill Street East, P.O. Box 554
                            Milverton, Ontario N0K 1M0
                            (519) 595-8791
                            kkoppedr@...

                            You can also check http://www.krackow.com

                            I will also have available silk yugote with kusari at my site.
                            Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 6, 2002
                              Thank you very much. Yes it wil be very helpful. I will try to contact him today.
                              Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 8, 2002
                                I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                Sakurakawa

                                > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                > for the battle field.
                                > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                >
                                > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                > > as posibble.
                                >
                                > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                >
                                > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                >
                                > > domo
                                > > yoshi
                                >

                                > Koredono

                              • Kevin Newman
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 8, 2002
                                  Thanks I got it earlier and am in contact with him about a bow now. Thank you.
                                  Kuro
                                  elsyr@... wrote: I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                  should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                  last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                  about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                  Sakurakawa

                                  > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                  > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                  > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                  > for the battle field.
                                  > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                  > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                  > > as posibble.
                                  >
                                  > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                  > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                  > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                  > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                  > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                  > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                  >
                                  > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                  > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                  >
                                  > > domo
                                  > > yoshi
                                  >

                                  > Koredono

                                • Sean
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                    I guess I'm the closest contact to Yumi as I live up here in the frozen
                                    North. Yumi has managed to settle himself away from the hustle and bustle of
                                    modern life quite well. He does have a phone but no internet access. If you
                                    send me your information I'd be happy to forward it along to Yumi (He just
                                    got back from a trip to Fort Dodge) and he might be able to contact you.

                                    If you can wait he will be at Pennsic, and I know he has been making more
                                    bows.

                                    Kintarou

                                    (the arrow making factory has taken over my kitchen!!!)

                                    > I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                    > should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                    > last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                    > about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.
                                    >
                                    > Sakurakawa
                                    > >
                                    > > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                    > > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so
                                    far is
                                    > > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I
                                    believe
                                    > > for the battle field.
                                    > > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                    > > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                    > > > as posibble.
                                    > >
                                    > > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                    > > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                    > > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                    > > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                    > > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                    > > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                    > >
                                    > > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                    > > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                    > >
                                    > > > domo
                                    > > > yoshi
                                    > >

                                    > > Koredono

                                    -----
                                    > > Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no
                                    Koredono
                                    > > djl@...
                                    Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                    > > Pittsburgh, PA Debatable Lands,
                                    AEthelmearc

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • Marc Choronzey
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                      Where DOES yumi live? I trade with Bear Hawk and they know yumi...But he is
                                      either very secretive or just unpublished because I cant find anything of
                                      his here....

                                      -Shisen.

                                      -----

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                        He lives in a small rural town in Ontario, in a Mennonite (sp?) community.
                                        The 1st time I went to see him I couldn't believe the horse drawn carriages
                                        on the roads.

                                        Kintarou

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                          Domo.