Re: [SCA-JML] help a newbee?

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Elaine Koogler wrote:

      > Takeda-dono,
      >
      > Just a small correction to you message...and others out there, please
      > correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the -sama honorific may
      > not be a period form of address. I know...I went under the assumption
      > that -san and -sama were period until very recently, but have been given
      > to understand that they are not.
      >
      > Also, I don't believe that one would call oneself -sama. Again, as I
      > understand it (which may be faulty), it is an honorific which one uses
      > in addressing others. It would be the same as signing yourself "Mr. So
      > and so" when signing a letter.
      >
      > And, by the way....I'm in Atlantia, albeit the northern part, as are
      > several others.

      You are correct, as far as I know--that mostly built upon the efforts of
      Hiraizumi-sho-yon-i-dono, with post-examination of various jidai-geki
      films (although like anything, take films with a grain of salt). 'Sama'
      does appear to be around, though--I'm just not sure on its use at the
      time.

      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
      site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
      nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
      titles.

      Furthermore, you are also correct that you never use honorifics for
      yourself (okay, like all 'never's there are probably some exceptions; but
      I have not really run across them yet).

      Finally, the number of Atlantian Japanese personae is significantly larger
      than many people think--we're just rather spread out from each other.
      Just this last event--Storvik's Novice Tourney--I saw at least three
      Japanese personae besides myself. I know that I've met several others.
      So far I think I've only been to one event where I was the only Japanese
      persona present. Plus, there are plenty of people who are also interested
      in things Japanese.

      As soon as I get more settled down (after Pennsic--preferrably after I
      have my own house) I want to hold a Japanese event--or at least a get
      together. I'll see how that works, though. Work is awfully inconvenient.

      -Ii
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
        > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
        > site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
        > nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
        > titles.

        > -Ii

        I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
        'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
        'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
        folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
        titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
        College cobbled together.

        Others from similarly 'obscure' cultures do the same with their titles
        - the Polish knight uses a polish title instead of 'sir', same with the
        German duke, the Norse folks and so forth. Some of the titles used are
        from the College lists, but some are not, if a more accurate usage
        exists.

        So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
        straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
        College can follow...

        Yumitori

        must preside at our assemblies.
        William O. Douglas

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • dateyukiie
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
          --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
          > --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
          I spent 2 years living in Okinawa in the US
          > > marines but I am just now becoming interested in the SCA and would
          > > love to hear from any veteran members or just New folks just like
          > > me.
          > also if any one has any pictures they could send my way of your own
          > armor so i can get some different ideas i would greatly appreciate
          > them.
          > > Thanks for all help
          > > Domo
          > > Dave Jones
          > > (Samurai at Heart)

          Mr Jones...
          Konnichi wa from Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie. Are you the same Dave
          Jones I know? I too was stationed on Oki Nawa for some three and a
          half years, (till they realized I liked it too much!) up at Henoko
          Ammo Dump. I have had a Japanese persona since around 1979, and if I
          can be of any service to you it would be my pleasure. A.J.Bryant's
          site is excelent...and worth examination. I am just now putting up a
          site of my own( http://www.kabutographics.com ) where I will have pics
          of armor and toys and artwork and such. Perhaps that will be usefull also.

          Welcome to the asian ranks...it sure is fun!
          Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie
          Shi wa hei to de aru - everyone is equal in the grave...
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
            On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Ron Martino wrote:

            > I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
            > 'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
            > 'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
            > folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
            > titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
            > College cobbled together.

            For several reasons.

            A) I would like to see the 'official' site for such things reflect a
            better system. That way people can start off on the right foot instead of
            getting confused when they find that the 'authorities' aren't always
            correct.

            B) It helps to have it so that people who don't have access (or at least
            don't know they have access) to local experts are started in the right
            direction.

            C) I would like it so that I can write a proper report and include proper
            titles without the fear of someone jumping down my throat for using
            'improper' titles.

            > So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
            > straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
            > College can follow...

            Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
            lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

            Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
            actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
            discussion.

            -Ii
          • Ron Martino
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
              > Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
              > lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

              Unfortunately, in my experience members of the College are taking the
              attitude that it's better to have a screwed up system than no system at
              all. I've explained to members that the current list is way wrong, but
              they won't make any effort to change it without something else to put in
              its place.

              Apparently it's better to be wrong than silent.

              > Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
              > actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
              > discussion.
              >
              > -Ii

              Now that problem will never be fixed. We're just screwed...

              Yumitori

              must preside at our assemblies.
              William O. Douglas

              yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                Sounds like a plan to me.....

                Kiri (former member of said institution!!!)
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Elaine Koogler

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                    Or the fact that "Master" and "Mistress" were titles used by the middle class and certainly did not indicate any kind of peerage!!! But that argument went down the tubes several years back when they refused to allow Laurels and Pelicans be termed "Knights of the Laurel", etc. The only positive thing that came out of that one was allowing women to be called "Dame".

                    Kiri
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                      Koniciwa!

                      Just wanted to point out that tonite 7-2-02 on AMC

                      6:00 Est and repeating 2 hours later:

                      'Bruce Lee: warrior's journey'

                      Very fascinating. Hope you all get to see it.

                      Tochiro of clan Takeda

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • vodican
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 4, 2002
                        I am also from atlantia. being you are prior marine you should know
                        where i am, camp lejeune (jacksonville nc). There are very few asian
                        personas here in the middle of the kingdom. I ussually go to events
                        where i am the only asian persona there. I get lots of looks though
                        (i am very proud of my armour). I have done lots of reaserch and am
                        willing to help when ever i can.

                        For those who are interested in putting on a japenese themed event
                        let me know and i will be glad to help. I am not going to be able to
                        make pensic but i am making plans for kingdom crusades in october. I
                        hope to see some of you there.

                        Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                        asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.

                        I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                        please e-mail me.

                        domo
                        Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ryu no Kyoto
                      • Ii Saburou
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 4, 2002
                          On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                          > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                          > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                          >
                          > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                          > please e-mail me.

                          Kyudo gear for:
                          1) Kyudo
                          2) SCA Archery
                          OR
                          3) SCA Combat Archery?

                          I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA Budokai.
                          In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to hosted,
                          IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to Asahi
                          America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of assistance.

                          -Ii
                        • vodican
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                            I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                            as posibble.
                            domo
                            yoshi

                            > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                            >
                            > > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                            > > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                            > >
                            > > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on
                            this
                            > > please e-mail me.
                            >
                            > Kyudo gear for:
                            > 1) Kyudo
                            > 2) SCA Archery
                            > OR
                            > 3) SCA Combat Archery?
                            >
                            > I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA
                            Budokai.
                            > In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to
                            hosted,
                            > IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to
                            Asahi
                            > America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of
                            assistance.

                            > -Ii
                          • Don Luby
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                              On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                              > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                              > as posibble.

                              For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                              Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                              hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                              shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                              combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                              we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                              Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                              at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                              > domo
                              > yoshi

                              Koredono

                              Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                              djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                            • Kevin Newman
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                                Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                                Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:

                                On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                                > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                > as posibble.

                                For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                                Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                                > domo
                                > yoshi

                                Koredono

                              • dateyukiie
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 6, 2002
                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Kevin Newman <shadow4549@y...> wrote:

                                  > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would
                                  greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I
                                  have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite
                                  expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                                  > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.

                                  Konnichi wa tomodachi,
                                  Perhaps this info would be usefull it is Yumi's contact info.
                                  Jaap & Kay Koppedrayer
                                  94 Mill Street East, P.O. Box 554
                                  Milverton, Ontario N0K 1M0
                                  (519) 595-8791
                                  kkoppedr@...

                                  You can also check http://www.krackow.com

                                  I will also have available silk yugote with kusari at my site.
                                  Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 6, 2002
                                    Thank you very much. Yes it wil be very helpful. I will try to contact him today.
                                    Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 8, 2002
                                      I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                      should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                      last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                      about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                      Sakurakawa

                                      > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                      > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                      > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                      > for the battle field.
                                      > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                      > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                      > > as posibble.
                                      >
                                      > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                      > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                      > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                      > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                      > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                      > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                      >
                                      > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                      > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                      >
                                      > > domo
                                      > > yoshi
                                      >

                                      > Koredono

                                    • Kevin Newman
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 8, 2002
                                        Thanks I got it earlier and am in contact with him about a bow now. Thank you.
                                        Kuro
                                        elsyr@... wrote: I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                        should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                        last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                        about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                        Sakurakawa

                                        > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                        > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                        > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                        > for the battle field.
                                        > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                        > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                        > > as posibble.
                                        >
                                        > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                        > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                        > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                        > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                        > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                        > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                        >
                                        > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                        > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                        >
                                        > > domo
                                        > > yoshi
                                        >

                                        > Koredono

                                      • Sean
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                          I guess I'm the closest contact to Yumi as I live up here in the frozen
                                          North. Yumi has managed to settle himself away from the hustle and bustle of
                                          modern life quite well. He does have a phone but no internet access. If you
                                          send me your information I'd be happy to forward it along to Yumi (He just
                                          got back from a trip to Fort Dodge) and he might be able to contact you.

                                          If you can wait he will be at Pennsic, and I know he has been making more
                                          bows.

                                          Kintarou

                                          (the arrow making factory has taken over my kitchen!!!)

                                          > I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                          > should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                          > last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                          > about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.
                                          >
                                          > Sakurakawa
                                          > >
                                          > > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                          > > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so
                                          far is
                                          > > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I
                                          believe
                                          > > for the battle field.
                                          > > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                          > > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                          > > > as posibble.
                                          > >
                                          > > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                          > > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                          > > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                          > > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                          > > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                          > > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                          > >
                                          > > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                          > > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                          > >
                                          > > > domo
                                          > > > yoshi
                                          > >

                                          > > Koredono

                                          -----
                                          > > Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no
                                          Koredono
                                          > > djl@...
                                          Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                          > > Pittsburgh, PA Debatable Lands,
                                          AEthelmearc

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        • Marc Choronzey
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                            Where DOES yumi live? I trade with Bear Hawk and they know yumi...But he is
                                            either very secretive or just unpublished because I cant find anything of
                                            his here....

                                            -Shisen.

                                            -----

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                              He lives in a small rural town in Ontario, in a Mennonite (sp?) community.
                                              The 1st time I went to see him I couldn't believe the horse drawn carriages
                                              on the roads.

                                              Kintarou

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                                Domo.