Re: [SCA-JML] help a newbee?

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2002
      Takeda-dono,

      Just a small correction to you message...and others out there, please correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the -sama honorific may not be a period form of address. I know...I went under the assumption that -san and -sama were period until very recently, but have been given to understand that they are not.

      Also, I don't believe that one would call oneself -sama. Again, as I understand it (which may be faulty), it is an honorific which one uses in addressing others. It would be the same as signing yourself "Mr. So and so" when signing a letter.

      And, by the way....I'm in Atlantia, albeit the northern part, as are several others.

      Minowara Kiritsubo
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Elaine Koogler wrote:

        > Takeda-dono,
        >
        > Just a small correction to you message...and others out there, please
        > correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the -sama honorific may
        > not be a period form of address. I know...I went under the assumption
        > that -san and -sama were period until very recently, but have been given
        > to understand that they are not.
        >
        > Also, I don't believe that one would call oneself -sama. Again, as I
        > understand it (which may be faulty), it is an honorific which one uses
        > in addressing others. It would be the same as signing yourself "Mr. So
        > and so" when signing a letter.
        >
        > And, by the way....I'm in Atlantia, albeit the northern part, as are
        > several others.

        You are correct, as far as I know--that mostly built upon the efforts of
        Hiraizumi-sho-yon-i-dono, with post-examination of various jidai-geki
        films (although like anything, take films with a grain of salt). 'Sama'
        does appear to be around, though--I'm just not sure on its use at the
        time.

        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
        site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
        nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
        titles.

        Furthermore, you are also correct that you never use honorifics for
        yourself (okay, like all 'never's there are probably some exceptions; but
        I have not really run across them yet).

        Finally, the number of Atlantian Japanese personae is significantly larger
        than many people think--we're just rather spread out from each other.
        Just this last event--Storvik's Novice Tourney--I saw at least three
        Japanese personae besides myself. I know that I've met several others.
        So far I think I've only been to one event where I was the only Japanese
        persona present. Plus, there are plenty of people who are also interested
        in things Japanese.

        As soon as I get more settled down (after Pennsic--preferrably after I
        have my own house) I want to hold a Japanese event--or at least a get
        together. I'll see how that works, though. Work is awfully inconvenient.

        -Ii
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
          > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
          > site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
          > nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
          > titles.

          > -Ii

          I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
          'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
          'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
          folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
          titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
          College cobbled together.

          Others from similarly 'obscure' cultures do the same with their titles
          - the Polish knight uses a polish title instead of 'sir', same with the
          German duke, the Norse folks and so forth. Some of the titles used are
          from the College lists, but some are not, if a more accurate usage
          exists.

          So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
          straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
          College can follow...

          Yumitori

          must preside at our assemblies.
          William O. Douglas

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • dateyukiie
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
            > --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
            I spent 2 years living in Okinawa in the US
            > > marines but I am just now becoming interested in the SCA and would
            > > love to hear from any veteran members or just New folks just like
            > > me.
            > also if any one has any pictures they could send my way of your own
            > armor so i can get some different ideas i would greatly appreciate
            > them.
            > > Thanks for all help
            > > Domo
            > > Dave Jones
            > > (Samurai at Heart)

            Mr Jones...
            Konnichi wa from Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie. Are you the same Dave
            Jones I know? I too was stationed on Oki Nawa for some three and a
            half years, (till they realized I liked it too much!) up at Henoko
            Ammo Dump. I have had a Japanese persona since around 1979, and if I
            can be of any service to you it would be my pleasure. A.J.Bryant's
            site is excelent...and worth examination. I am just now putting up a
            site of my own( http://www.kabutographics.com ) where I will have pics
            of armor and toys and artwork and such. Perhaps that will be usefull also.

            Welcome to the asian ranks...it sure is fun!
            Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie
            Shi wa hei to de aru - everyone is equal in the grave...
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
              On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Ron Martino wrote:

              > I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
              > 'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
              > 'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
              > folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
              > titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
              > College cobbled together.

              For several reasons.

              A) I would like to see the 'official' site for such things reflect a
              better system. That way people can start off on the right foot instead of
              getting confused when they find that the 'authorities' aren't always
              correct.

              B) It helps to have it so that people who don't have access (or at least
              don't know they have access) to local experts are started in the right
              direction.

              C) I would like it so that I can write a proper report and include proper
              titles without the fear of someone jumping down my throat for using
              'improper' titles.

              > So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
              > straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
              > College can follow...

              Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
              lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

              Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
              actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
              discussion.

              -Ii
            • Ron Martino
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                > Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
                > lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

                Unfortunately, in my experience members of the College are taking the
                attitude that it's better to have a screwed up system than no system at
                all. I've explained to members that the current list is way wrong, but
                they won't make any effort to change it without something else to put in
                its place.

                Apparently it's better to be wrong than silent.

                > Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
                > actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
                > discussion.
                >
                > -Ii

                Now that problem will never be fixed. We're just screwed...

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Sounds like a plan to me.....

                  Kiri (former member of said institution!!!)
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Elaine Koogler

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                      Or the fact that "Master" and "Mistress" were titles used by the middle class and certainly did not indicate any kind of peerage!!! But that argument went down the tubes several years back when they refused to allow Laurels and Pelicans be termed "Knights of the Laurel", etc. The only positive thing that came out of that one was allowing women to be called "Dame".

                      Kiri
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2, 2002
                        Koniciwa!

                        Just wanted to point out that tonite 7-2-02 on AMC

                        6:00 Est and repeating 2 hours later:

                        'Bruce Lee: warrior's journey'

                        Very fascinating. Hope you all get to see it.

                        Tochiro of clan Takeda

                        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                      • vodican
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 4, 2002
                          I am also from atlantia. being you are prior marine you should know
                          where i am, camp lejeune (jacksonville nc). There are very few asian
                          personas here in the middle of the kingdom. I ussually go to events
                          where i am the only asian persona there. I get lots of looks though
                          (i am very proud of my armour). I have done lots of reaserch and am
                          willing to help when ever i can.

                          For those who are interested in putting on a japenese themed event
                          let me know and i will be glad to help. I am not going to be able to
                          make pensic but i am making plans for kingdom crusades in october. I
                          hope to see some of you there.

                          Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                          asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.

                          I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                          please e-mail me.

                          domo
                          Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ryu no Kyoto
                        • Ii Saburou
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 4, 2002
                            On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                            > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                            > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                            >
                            > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                            > please e-mail me.

                            Kyudo gear for:
                            1) Kyudo
                            2) SCA Archery
                            OR
                            3) SCA Combat Archery?

                            I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA Budokai.
                            In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to hosted,
                            IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to Asahi
                            America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of assistance.

                            -Ii
                          • vodican
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                              I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                              as posibble.
                              domo
                              yoshi

                              > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                              >
                              > > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                              > > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                              > >
                              > > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on
                              this
                              > > please e-mail me.
                              >
                              > Kyudo gear for:
                              > 1) Kyudo
                              > 2) SCA Archery
                              > OR
                              > 3) SCA Combat Archery?
                              >
                              > I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA
                              Budokai.
                              > In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to
                              hosted,
                              > IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to
                              Asahi
                              > America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of
                              assistance.

                              > -Ii
                            • Don Luby
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                                On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                                > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                > as posibble.

                                For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                                Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                                > domo
                                > yoshi

                                Koredono

                                Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                              • Kevin Newman
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 5, 2002
                                  Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                                  Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                  Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:

                                  On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                                  > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                  > as posibble.

                                  For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                  Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                  hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                  shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                  combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                  we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                                  Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                  at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                                  > domo
                                  > yoshi

                                  Koredono

                                • dateyukiie
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 6, 2002
                                    --- In sca-jml@y..., Kevin Newman <shadow4549@y...> wrote:

                                    > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would
                                    greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I
                                    have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite
                                    expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                                    > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.

                                    Konnichi wa tomodachi,
                                    Perhaps this info would be usefull it is Yumi's contact info.
                                    Jaap & Kay Koppedrayer
                                    94 Mill Street East, P.O. Box 554
                                    Milverton, Ontario N0K 1M0
                                    (519) 595-8791
                                    kkoppedr@...

                                    You can also check http://www.krackow.com

                                    I will also have available silk yugote with kusari at my site.
                                    Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 6, 2002
                                      Thank you very much. Yes it wil be very helpful. I will try to contact him today.
                                      Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 8, 2002
                                        I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                        should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                        last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                        about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                        Sakurakawa

                                        > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                        > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                        > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                        > for the battle field.
                                        > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                        > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                        > > as posibble.
                                        >
                                        > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                        > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                        > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                        > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                        > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                        > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                        >
                                        > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                        > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                        >
                                        > > domo
                                        > > yoshi
                                        >

                                        > Koredono

                                      • Kevin Newman
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 8, 2002
                                          Thanks I got it earlier and am in contact with him about a bow now. Thank you.
                                          Kuro
                                          elsyr@... wrote: I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                          should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                          last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                          about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                          Sakurakawa

                                          > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                          > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                          > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                          > for the battle field.
                                          > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                          > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                          > > as posibble.
                                          >
                                          > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                          > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                          > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                          > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                          > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                          > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                          >
                                          > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                          > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                          >
                                          > > domo
                                          > > yoshi
                                          >

                                          > Koredono

                                        • Sean
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                            I guess I'm the closest contact to Yumi as I live up here in the frozen
                                            North. Yumi has managed to settle himself away from the hustle and bustle of
                                            modern life quite well. He does have a phone but no internet access. If you
                                            send me your information I'd be happy to forward it along to Yumi (He just
                                            got back from a trip to Fort Dodge) and he might be able to contact you.

                                            If you can wait he will be at Pennsic, and I know he has been making more
                                            bows.

                                            Kintarou

                                            (the arrow making factory has taken over my kitchen!!!)

                                            > I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                            > should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                            > last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                            > about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.
                                            >
                                            > Sakurakawa
                                            > >
                                            > > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                            > > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so
                                            far is
                                            > > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I
                                            believe
                                            > > for the battle field.
                                            > > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                            > > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                            > > > as posibble.
                                            > >
                                            > > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                            > > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                            > > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                            > > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                            > > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                            > > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                            > >
                                            > > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                            > > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                            > >
                                            > > > domo
                                            > > > yoshi
                                            > >

                                            > > Koredono

                                            -----
                                            > > Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no
                                            Koredono
                                            > > djl@...
                                            Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                            > > Pittsburgh, PA Debatable Lands,
                                            AEthelmearc

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                          • Marc Choronzey
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                              Where DOES yumi live? I trade with Bear Hawk and they know yumi...But he is
                                              either very secretive or just unpublished because I cant find anything of
                                              his here....

                                              -Shisen.

                                              -----

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                                He lives in a small rural town in Ontario, in a Mennonite (sp?) community.
                                                The 1st time I went to see him I couldn't believe the horse drawn carriages
                                                on the roads.

                                                Kintarou

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 9, 2002
                                                  Domo.