help a newbee?

  • Irish_65
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 30, 2002
      Greetings
      I am interestedin putting together a Japanes persona for SCA
      activities.Any help would be greatly Appreciated Ie how to pick a
      name,Heraldry,I have been using Sir Anthony J Bryants web site to
      construct a set of Armor and begin work on my Do this weekend after
      much clipping and measuring i finally got the Pattern right and start
      on the metal tommorrow.I spent 2 years living in Okinawa in the US
      marines but I am just now becoming interested in the SCA and would
      love to hear from any veteran members or just New folks just like
      me.I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia in the Canton of Aire
      Faucon.Spartanburg S.C.in Mundane language.
      Thanks for all help
      Domo
      Dave Jones
      (Samurai at Heart)
    • Sojobo@ninjahome.zzn.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1 6:22 AM
        When picking a name make it simple. I mean make it something that
        people will remember. If you don't you will be called that Japanese
        guy.
        good luck

        Get your own Web-Based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com
      • Irish_65
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1 11:59 AM
          --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings
          > I am interestedin putting together a Japanes persona for SCA
          > activities.Any help would be greatly Appreciated Ie how to pick a
          > name,Heraldry,I have been using Sir Anthony J Bryants web site to
          > construct a set of Armor and begin work on my Do this weekend after
          > much clipping and measuring i finally got the Pattern right and
          start
          > on the metal tommorrow.I spent 2 years living in Okinawa in the US
          > marines but I am just now becoming interested in the SCA and would
          > love to hear from any veteran members or just New folks just like
          > me.I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia in the Canton of Aire
          > Faucon.Spartanburg S.C.in Mundane language.
          also if any one has any pictures they could send my way of your own
          armor so i can get some different ideas i would greatly appreciate
          them.
        • Takedasama@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1 4:08 PM
            Konnichiwa Dave-sama,

            I am Takeda Yoshinaka-sama, a Samurai residing in the Canton of St. Georges,
            (Clemson SC). I've had a Samurai persona for about 9 years and playing SCA
            for about 11. Please Email me with any questions you may have. There are so
            few Japanese personas in Atlantia, and especially the South.

            In Service to the Dream,
            Takeda-sama

            > Greetings
            > I am interestedin putting together a Japanes persona for SCA
            > activities.Any help would be greatly Appreciated Ie how to pick a
            > name,Heraldry,I have been using Sir Anthony J Bryants web site to
            > construct a set of Armor and begin work on my Do this weekend after
            > much clipping and measuring i finally got the Pattern right and start
            > on the metal tommorrow.I spent 2 years living in Okinawa in the US
            > marines but I am just now becoming interested in the SCA and would
            > love to hear from any veteran members or just New folks just like
            > me.I live in the Kingdom of Atlantia in the Canton of Aire
            > Faucon.Spartanburg S.C.in Mundane language.
            > Thanks for all help
            > Domo
            > Dave Jones
            > (Samurai at Heart)

          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 1 4:52 PM
              Takeda-dono,

              Just a small correction to you message...and others out there, please correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the -sama honorific may not be a period form of address. I know...I went under the assumption that -san and -sama were period until very recently, but have been given to understand that they are not.

              Also, I don't believe that one would call oneself -sama. Again, as I understand it (which may be faulty), it is an honorific which one uses in addressing others. It would be the same as signing yourself "Mr. So and so" when signing a letter.

              And, by the way....I'm in Atlantia, albeit the northern part, as are several others.

              Minowara Kiritsubo
              I am Takeda Yoshinaka-sama, a Samurai residing in the Canton of St. Georges,
              (Clemson SC). I've had a Samurai persona for about 9 years and playing SCA
              for about 11. Please Email me with any questions you may have. There are so
              few Japanese personas in Atlantia, and especially the South.

              In Service to the Dream,
              Takeda-sama

            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 1 6:37 PM
                On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Elaine Koogler wrote:

                > Takeda-dono,
                >
                > Just a small correction to you message...and others out there, please
                > correct me if I'm wrong. As I understand it, the -sama honorific may
                > not be a period form of address. I know...I went under the assumption
                > that -san and -sama were period until very recently, but have been given
                > to understand that they are not.
                >
                > Also, I don't believe that one would call oneself -sama. Again, as I
                > understand it (which may be faulty), it is an honorific which one uses
                > in addressing others. It would be the same as signing yourself "Mr. So
                > and so" when signing a letter.
                >
                > And, by the way....I'm in Atlantia, albeit the northern part, as are
                > several others.

                You are correct, as far as I know--that mostly built upon the efforts of
                Hiraizumi-sho-yon-i-dono, with post-examination of various jidai-geki
                films (although like anything, take films with a grain of salt). 'Sama'
                does appear to be around, though--I'm just not sure on its use at the
                time.

                http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
                site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
                nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
                titles.

                Furthermore, you are also correct that you never use honorifics for
                yourself (okay, like all 'never's there are probably some exceptions; but
                I have not really run across them yet).

                Finally, the number of Atlantian Japanese personae is significantly larger
                than many people think--we're just rather spread out from each other.
                Just this last event--Storvik's Novice Tourney--I saw at least three
                Japanese personae besides myself. I know that I've met several others.
                So far I think I've only been to one event where I was the only Japanese
                persona present. Plus, there are plenty of people who are also interested
                in things Japanese.

                As soon as I get more settled down (after Pennsic--preferrably after I
                have my own house) I want to hold a Japanese event--or at least a get
                together. I'll see how that works, though. Work is awfully inconvenient.

                -Ii
              • Ron Martino
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2 8:00 AM
                  > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
                  > site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
                  > nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
                  > titles.

                  > -Ii

                  I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
                  'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
                  'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
                  folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
                  titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
                  College cobbled together.

                  Others from similarly 'obscure' cultures do the same with their titles
                  - the Polish knight uses a polish title instead of 'sir', same with the
                  German duke, the Norse folks and so forth. Some of the titles used are
                  from the College lists, but some are not, if a more accurate usage
                  exists.

                  So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
                  straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
                  College can follow...

                  Yumitori

                  must preside at our assemblies.
                  William O. Douglas

                  yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                • dateyukiie
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 2 1:00 PM
                    --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In sca-jml@y..., "Irish_65" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
                    I spent 2 years living in Okinawa in the US
                    > > marines but I am just now becoming interested in the SCA and would
                    > > love to hear from any veteran members or just New folks just like
                    > > me.
                    > also if any one has any pictures they could send my way of your own
                    > armor so i can get some different ideas i would greatly appreciate
                    > them.
                    > > Thanks for all help
                    > > Domo
                    > > Dave Jones
                    > > (Samurai at Heart)

                    Mr Jones...
                    Konnichi wa from Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie. Are you the same Dave
                    Jones I know? I too was stationed on Oki Nawa for some three and a
                    half years, (till they realized I liked it too much!) up at Henoko
                    Ammo Dump. I have had a Japanese persona since around 1979, and if I
                    can be of any service to you it would be my pleasure. A.J.Bryant's
                    site is excelent...and worth examination. I am just now putting up a
                    site of my own( http://www.kabutographics.com ) where I will have pics
                    of armor and toys and artwork and such. Perhaps that will be usefull also.

                    Welcome to the asian ranks...it sure is fun!
                    Yama Kaminari no Date Yukiie
                    Shi wa hei to de aru - everyone is equal in the grave...
                  • Ii Saburou
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 2 2:28 PM
                      On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Ron Martino wrote:

                      > I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
                      > 'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
                      > 'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
                      > folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
                      > titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
                      > College cobbled together.

                      For several reasons.

                      A) I would like to see the 'official' site for such things reflect a
                      better system. That way people can start off on the right foot instead of
                      getting confused when they find that the 'authorities' aren't always
                      correct.

                      B) It helps to have it so that people who don't have access (or at least
                      don't know they have access) to local experts are started in the right
                      direction.

                      C) I would like it so that I can write a proper report and include proper
                      titles without the fear of someone jumping down my throat for using
                      'improper' titles.

                      > So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
                      > straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
                      > College can follow...

                      Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
                      lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

                      Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
                      actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
                      discussion.

                      -Ii
                    • Ron Martino
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2 2:37 PM
                        > Yes. But we have to let the College know that it is happening. You don't
                        > lead a horse by simply walking away from it.

                        Unfortunately, in my experience members of the College are taking the
                        attitude that it's better to have a screwed up system than no system at
                        all. I've explained to members that the current list is way wrong, but
                        they won't make any effort to change it without something else to put in
                        its place.

                        Apparently it's better to be wrong than silent.

                        > Of course, we could go further and talk about how English Lords are
                        > actually of a higher rank than a common knight, but that is a whole 'other
                        > discussion.
                        >
                        > -Ii

                        Now that problem will never be fixed. We're just screwed...

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 2 2:54 PM
                          Sounds like a plan to me.....

                          Kiri (former member of said institution!!!)
[...]

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Elaine Koogler

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 2 3:50 PM
                              Or the fact that "Master" and "Mistress" were titles used by the middle class and certainly did not indicate any kind of peerage!!! But that argument went down the tubes several years back when they refused to allow Laurels and Pelicans be termed "Knights of the Laurel", etc. The only positive thing that came out of that one was allowing women to be called "Dame".

                              Kiri
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 2 6:14 PM
                                Koniciwa!

                                Just wanted to point out that tonite 7-2-02 on AMC

                                6:00 Est and repeating 2 hours later:

                                'Bruce Lee: warrior's journey'

                                Very fascinating. Hope you all get to see it.

                                Tochiro of clan Takeda

                                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                              • vodican
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 4 7:43 PM
                                  I am also from atlantia. being you are prior marine you should know
                                  where i am, camp lejeune (jacksonville nc). There are very few asian
                                  personas here in the middle of the kingdom. I ussually go to events
                                  where i am the only asian persona there. I get lots of looks though
                                  (i am very proud of my armour). I have done lots of reaserch and am
                                  willing to help when ever i can.

                                  For those who are interested in putting on a japenese themed event
                                  let me know and i will be glad to help. I am not going to be able to
                                  make pensic but i am making plans for kingdom crusades in october. I
                                  hope to see some of you there.

                                  Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                                  asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.

                                  I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                                  please e-mail me.

                                  domo
                                  Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ryu no Kyoto
                                • Ii Saburou
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 4 9:21 PM
                                    On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                                    > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                                    > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                                    >
                                    > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on this
                                    > please e-mail me.

                                    Kyudo gear for:
                                    1) Kyudo
                                    2) SCA Archery
                                    OR
                                    3) SCA Combat Archery?

                                    I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA Budokai.
                                    In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to hosted,
                                    IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to Asahi
                                    America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of assistance.

                                    -Ii
                                  • vodican
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 5 4:43 PM
                                      I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                      as posibble.
                                      domo
                                      yoshi

                                      > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Does anyone know of a japenese knight in atlantia. A friend was
                                      > > asking about it the other day and it peeked my interest.
                                      > >
                                      > > I am also looking for some kyudo gear. If anyone has any inf on
                                      this
                                      > > please e-mail me.
                                      >
                                      > Kyudo gear for:
                                      > 1) Kyudo
                                      > 2) SCA Archery
                                      > OR
                                      > 3) SCA Combat Archery?
                                      >
                                      > I know I can find info for the first one through the Northern VA
                                      Budokai.
                                      > In fact, there is a seminar that the kyudoka here are going to
                                      hosted,
                                      > IIRC, by Dan Deprospero (www.kyudo.com). He has links there to
                                      Asahi
                                      > America (http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html) which may be of
                                      assistance.

                                      > -Ii
                                    • Don Luby
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 5 4:53 PM
                                        On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                                        > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                        > as posibble.

                                        For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                        Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                        hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                        shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                        combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                        we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                                        Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                        at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                                        > domo
                                        > yoshi

                                        Koredono

                                        Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                        djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                      • Kevin Newman
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 5 9:47 PM
                                          Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                                          Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                          Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:

                                          On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:

                                          > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                          > as posibble.

                                          For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                          Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                          hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                          shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                          combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                          we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.

                                          Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                          at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.

                                          > domo
                                          > yoshi

                                          Koredono

                                        • dateyukiie
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 6 10:34 AM
                                            --- In sca-jml@y..., Kevin Newman <shadow4549@y...> wrote:

                                            > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would
                                            greatly appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I
                                            have found so far is traditional kyudo equipement that is quite
                                            expensive and not suited I believe for the battle field.
                                            > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.

                                            Konnichi wa tomodachi,
                                            Perhaps this info would be usefull it is Yumi's contact info.
                                            Jaap & Kay Koppedrayer
                                            94 Mill Street East, P.O. Box 554
                                            Milverton, Ontario N0K 1M0
                                            (519) 595-8791
                                            kkoppedr@...

                                            You can also check http://www.krackow.com

                                            I will also have available silk yugote with kusari at my site.
                                            Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 6 11:01 AM
                                              Thank you very much. Yes it wil be very helpful. I will try to contact him today.
                                              Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 8 7:40 AM
                                                I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                                should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                                last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                                about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                                Sakurakawa

                                                > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                                > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                                > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                                > for the battle field.
                                                > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                                > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                                > > as posibble.
                                                >
                                                > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                                > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                                > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                                > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                                > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                                > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                                >
                                                > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                                > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                                >
                                                > > domo
                                                > > yoshi
                                                >

                                                > Koredono

                                              • Kevin Newman
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 8 9:46 PM
                                                  Thanks I got it earlier and am in contact with him about a bow now. Thank you.
                                                  Kuro
                                                  elsyr@... wrote: I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                                  should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                                  last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                                  about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.

                                                  Sakurakawa

                                                  > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                                  > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so far is
                                                  > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I believe
                                                  > for the battle field.
                                                  > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                                  > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                                  > > as posibble.
                                                  >
                                                  > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                                  > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                                  > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                                  > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                                  > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                                  > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                                  >
                                                  > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                                  > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                                  >
                                                  > > domo
                                                  > > yoshi
                                                  >

                                                  > Koredono

                                                • Sean
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 9 7:34 AM
                                                    I guess I'm the closest contact to Yumi as I live up here in the frozen
                                                    North. Yumi has managed to settle himself away from the hustle and bustle of
                                                    modern life quite well. He does have a phone but no internet access. If you
                                                    send me your information I'd be happy to forward it along to Yumi (He just
                                                    got back from a trip to Fort Dodge) and he might be able to contact you.

                                                    If you can wait he will be at Pennsic, and I know he has been making more
                                                    bows.

                                                    Kintarou

                                                    (the arrow making factory has taken over my kitchen!!!)

                                                    > I don't have Yumi's info with me at the moment, but it
                                                    > should be in the message archive from sometime around
                                                    > last September or October. I posted it for somebody
                                                    > about a month after last Pennsic, as I recall.
                                                    >
                                                    > Sakurakawa
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Could someone get his contact info and send it to me? I would greatly
                                                    > > appreciate it. I have been looking for something but all I have found so
                                                    far is
                                                    > > traditional kyudo equipement that is quite expensive and not suited I
                                                    believe
                                                    > > for the battle field.
                                                    > > Minamoto Genkuro Tanekage.
                                                    > > Don Luby <djl@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, vodican wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > > I am looking for sca combat archery grade, i want to be as authentic
                                                    > > > as posibble.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > For SCA-legal combat archery, the best you're going to do is one of
                                                    > > Yumi's combat yumi - 30# pull, 28" draw, laminated bamboo and
                                                    > > hardwood. Both the bow and the relevant arrows are about afoot
                                                    > > shorter than 'real' kyudo equipment, but are the maximum allowed by
                                                    > > combat archery regulations. That's what all of our clan uses, and
                                                    > > we're *very* happy with his work, both aesthetically and functionally.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Unfortuneately, I don't have contact info for him, but he merchants
                                                    > > at Pennsic, and should have some of these bows in stock.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > > domo
                                                    > > > yoshi
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Koredono

                                                    -----
                                                    > > Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no
                                                    Koredono
                                                    > > djl@...
                                                    Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                                    > > Pittsburgh, PA Debatable Lands,
                                                    AEthelmearc

                                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                  • Marc Choronzey
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 9 9:57 AM
                                                      Where DOES yumi live? I trade with Bear Hawk and they know yumi...But he is
                                                      either very secretive or just unpublished because I cant find anything of
                                                      his here....

                                                      -Shisen.

                                                      -----

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 9 1:36 PM
                                                        He lives in a small rural town in Ontario, in a Mennonite (sp?) community.
                                                        The 1st time I went to see him I couldn't believe the horse drawn carriages
                                                        on the roads.

                                                        Kintarou

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 9 9:17 PM
                                                          Domo.