Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese feast/meal

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2002
      There isn't really anything translated that is period Japanese. There is a Chinese manuscript, Ni Tsan's
      'Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating', which is available in a magazine, 'Petits Propos au Culinaire', issue #60, with additional commentary in #61. It can be acquired from Acanthus Books (www.acanthus-books.com).

      Also, you can find period Mongol recipes in a book, "A Soup for the Qan", which is a translation of a 14th century manuscript by Dr. Paul Buell and Dr. Eugene Anderson. This is a VERY expensive book, when you can find it. So you might try a nearby college library.

      I do have recipes that I used for an oriental feast which I'd be willing to share. If you are interested, let me know and I can send them to you privately.

      Kiri

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2002
        No problem. I understand completely. So what if I'm sitting here waiting for your translations with bated breath? So what if I go to sleep every night anticipating a mail message from you the next day with more of your work in it? ;-)

        Kiri
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2002
          While this is not full of period recipes, the following book does list some
          dates, brief history lessons and gives recipes. It is in English and the
          author is known as an "expert" in Japanese cooking.

          Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art, by Shizuo Tsuji, published by Kodanshi
          International, ISBN: 0-87011-399-2 (USA) and 4-7700-0758-2 (Japan)

          I bought this from, believe it or not, a Japanese woodworking tool place.
          They also sold kitchen knives.

          Bun'ami